Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I have decided to turn a new leaf and have a go at off roaders. I will have to ride on the road to get to the off road area so what do I need? I want a lightish bike around the 250? mark. I also want a popular make and it needs to be a reliable bike. Just dont know where to start. Oh yes im 64 today and would like to thank the admin for the birthday wishes. Ride safe everybody, Dave.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Dave, go for the lightest bike you can because you will find Muscles in places you never thought you had the first dozen times out and you will be Bolloxed . And something with an electric Boot. A nice little WR or KTM.:thumbup:

·
2,701 Posts
Yamaha TTR250.

Air cooled, electric boot, lightwieght, . . . not cutting edge but not high maintenance either.

There are a few electric start XR250 imports about.

CRF230 is also worth a look.

KTMexc250 cracking bike but high maintenance, as is the CRF250.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
There is a KTM main dealer in our small town (Market Deeping). I will go and take a look (I'm off all week!). But I would rather take advice from yourselves before I go. Thanks in advance Dave.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi everybody. I have decided to turn a new leaf and have a go at off roaders. I will have to ride on the road to get to the off road area so what do I need? I want a lightish bike around the 250? mark. I also want a popular make and it needs to be a reliable bike. Just dont know where to start. Oh yes im 64 today and would like to thank the admin for the birthday wishes. Ride safe everybody, Dave.
At 64 elecky start and lightweight is definatly the way to go. 2 strokes are lighter generally but don't normally come with the magic button. A mate gota ktm250excf with a ktm350 big bore kit that goes well and does have the button. The 4 strokes are generally with the button but your looking at the 250 which is a bit underpowered but the exc400 is a great bike and without the silly maintance schedules of the 2 strokes also bigger fuel tank.

4 strokes will have a much less peaky and more gentle power delivery as a rule (unless your into 450 race bikes) DRz400 is an option duel sport road and offroad not the lightest thing in the world but forgiving easy to ride and elecy start low maintaince schedule by modern standards and will give a novice confidence but will be heavy and tire you out if you wanted to do competitions.

You will have to decide what your going to use it for if its greenlaning and commuting i would go for a big lazy thumper if competitions are what you want then a 2stroke but it will always be a trade off unless you buy 2 bikes:thumbright::thumbright:

perhaps look at XR, CRF, TTR, WR, DRZ, EXC, EXCF, KLX,Gasgas are also doing a trail rider 4t now i believe it's called the XC if i'm correct it uses a yamaha motor but don't know what it's like maintainance wise

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sorry to gate crash guys ......but i'm also in the market for a dirty bike:D was thinking along the lines of a DR350 !!!!! any one got something to say on them.....ps i'm only 50:rolleyes:
Phil

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Sorry to gate crash guys ......but i'm also in the market for a dirty bike:D was thinking along the lines of a DR350 !!!!! any one got something to say on them.....ps i'm only 50:rolleyes:
Phil
Predecessor to the drz400 hugely cabable offroad bike very reliable no thrills bike plenty of parts availability very capable again confidence giving bike to a novice. Don't think they are elecy start but can't remember been a while since i've ridden one.

Only 50..... Try the DR800 BIG!!!!!!! if you can still find one

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
If I was to go for a true off roader Id opt for the DRZ400. They handle well on road as well. But for now I'll stick with my @.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Cheers guys..............can pick up a 1996 with 26k klm on the clock for €1200 and its elecy start !!!!! as for a DR800 big .....i'll be picking it up a lot so i'll stick to the 350:D
Phil

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
TTR 250, i had one, i loved it, it got stolen, i miss it. :(

nuff said
Thats a heart rending accolade. So much said in so few words.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I used to have a KM100 and loved it, it too got nicked and was never seen again.:(

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts