Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I know a thread that probably pops up a lot but.

I usually use my bike for fun and the occasional blast up to Birmingham. I have a Deathwing front and Tourance rear. I usually do about 4000 Miles before I need to change the rear and the front still looks untouched after 9k.

However, I'm about to start commuting (no matter the weather) to work 30 miles each way down twisty country lanes.

The question is should I change to road biased tyres as opposed to dual sport if so, what would you recommend (grip, durability e.t.c.) I am 12 Stone 6 so weight is not an issue here!;) If not, again what would you recommend (grip, durability e.t.c).

Loic

G

·
I suggest that you do a search for other threads on this subject - there are so many that adding another one seems hardly worthwhile as it'll just say the same things again.

But as for your Trailwing/Tourance combination, I have to question your sanity mixing tyre brands like that, particularly when the one you have on the front is known to be so bad in most conditions......

Best bit of advice regardless of your ultimate decision regarding brand and tread pattern (which is purely down to personal preference in the end) is to use the same on both ends!

·
Matron
12,080 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Hiya Loic,

Judging by your location and avatar, you need to come and see me, and check out my Tourances. I commute on those very same roads every day, and the tyres have never given me any issues at all.

Give me a ring if you want 4198

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Hiya Loic,

Judging by your location and avatar, you need to come and see me, and check out my Tourances. I commute on those very same roads every day, and the tyres have never given me any issues at all.

Give me a ring if you want 4198

And call him SIR...:D

G

·
That's brilliant !, well done on compiling that list, maybe this can be held as a sticky, or somewhere that can be easily referenced, would save
regurgitating the same old opinions when the inevitable question of tyres arises.
I've seperated out Sharries exellent tyre links post and made it sticky.

Kymmy

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
I have the same combination of tyres on mine - i found the orig deathwing on the rear wore out in 2500 miles! I haven't had any robs with this mix, and i ride in all weathers.

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
Bridgstone bt45's if only on road - good wear rate and very sticky on greasy roads. Avon Gripsters for on road/occasional light off road (80/20 mix) ........TKC80 for lots of on/off road (50/50). They should be your main choices. The Dunlop 607's have had good reviews though. If you do no offroad whatsoever, go with the bridgestone BT45's they are absolutely awesome. Can't wait to get another set. They were unbudgable in greasy corners. Only put gripsters on now , because they started making them again, and I fancy a bit of touring that might involve gentle off road. These grip in the wet better than you would think, but can squirm until there is some heat in them.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Dunlop 607's. Ive found them to be stickier than a sticky thing stuck on a big stick of stuckfast!!!!!

And that's in the wet as well as the dry.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had to replace my Distanzas after getting a puncture, they were poor tyres, and I was hoping to go back to my BT45's and avoid Avon altogether. Unfortunately my local shop could not get the BT45's quickly so I settled for another set of Avons! Roadriders? They dont seem to have been given much of a mention here, are they new?

Anyway, I'll see how I get on with them.

·
8th Dimension Adventurer
161 Posts
I've been using Avon Roadriders for about the last 4000 miles. Seem pretty good so far, and harder wearing (and significantly cheaper) than the Bridgestone BT45's that I had been using.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts