Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the positive reviews I suppose its time for a negative one.

I bought this low price (£16) torque wrench from Clarke tools at Machine Mart a year or so and while it doesn't get a huge amount of use, as I have a better one for the higher torque settings, it as still seen a fair bit of action during routine servicing of the bike.

Now I knew that it was never going to be as good as a £50 jobbie and I was prepared to accept that it might be out by a few percent, but as we were working with low torque values I and the difference between 10-lb/Ft and 11-lb/Ft was hardly going to cause problems I accepted the risk.

Now to justify my markings

Well for me a torque wrench only has to fulfill 3 criteria.
1 be easy to set.
2 be accurate and
3 not fall to bits

Unfortunately though this wrench as fails on all 3 counts. It's a micrometer type setting but its extremely difficult to set accurately due to the slop in the mechanism making it difficult to establish if you are one complete turn out or not.

I also have little faith in the repeatability of the wrench to click at the same torque as a number of times I know I have over tightened fasteners without the wrench clicking and the subsequent backing of them of and retrying has the wrench clicking about when I would expect it. It is this lack of repeatability that gives me little faith in it.

And sadly on the 3rd point the circlip that holds the hinge pin (at the ratchet end of the wrench) went awol quite soon after purchase and the pin is only retained by the tension on the spring so tends to move about a bit which again you have to keep an eye on before use.

It goes without saying that value for money is pretty much zero and it fails on the only 3 things I ask of it.

I've not awarded any marks for backup as I must admit I havent tried. I bought the wrench took it out the case and threw it (the case) in the bin and the wrench went into the took chest. But the time I actually used it I the case and receipt were long gone.

Basically I have fallen into the trap that I extol so many others to avoid regarding cheap tools and that is don't. It may be ok for a hammer but anything that needs an element of precision in its manufacture, or quality of materials such as spanners screwdrivers its simply a false exonomy.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
only thing i can say is you get what you pay for

·
Ex Vara Rider
446 Posts
Autoexpress came to the same conclusion, I bought the Halfords torque wrench on their recommendation and can't fault it, simply to set, reversable head and accurate.

Again it comes down to getting what you pay for and I'd rather pay the extra and then it's an investment to pass down the family at a later date.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ride magazine have also tested one this month and they sheared four bolts using it. Came to pretty much the same conclusions as I did and then promptly threw it in the bin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts