Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How to make an application for the retention of a vehicle's original registration mark

If you own a motor vehicle whose registration mark is not held by the DVLA, you may still be able to successfully apply for the retention of its original registration mark. To retain the vehicles original registration mark you must however be able to provide documentary `proof` linking the machine to the registration mark. This proof should ideally be an old buff, or green, logbook. If neither is available then the following may also be considered at the discretion of the DVLA a pre-1983 tax disc or MOT certificate, or an extract from suitable approved archive records.

If you can provide any of the above take the following steps.

1. Contact the DVLA or your Local DVLA Office Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) contacts : Directgov - Directories and check if the registration mark is listed on the DVLA computer.
2. If the mark is not listed ask for forms V765 & V55/5 to be posted to you.
Online form ordering

3. Complete both forms and post them to the address below with full details of the machine including frame and engine numbers.
Documentary proof that clearly links the registration mark to vehicle.
Two photographs of the complete machine. One photograph each of both the frame and engine numbers.

£15.00 if you already a member of the Air Cooled RD club. (Please send membership number)
Or pay via Paypal.

Please send Paypal to [email protected]

How to apply for an `age related` registration mark.

All applications for `age related` registration marks are dealt with by your local DVLA office and the vehicle must be roadworthy and have both an M.O.T. certificate (this will show the frame number only as there is not registration number at this point) and insurance cover note showing the frame number when an application is made. You also require a `dating certificate` verifying the vehicles age and you will need some photo ID and a utility bill..

To issue you this certificate I require you send me photos of thge frame and engine numbers and one photo of each side plus front and rear.
To then proceed;
1. Obtain M.O.T, insurance cover note, & dating certificate.
2. Complete form V55/5]
showing the date you wish the tax disk to run from.
3. Present all of the above documents, plus a cheque for any Vehicle Excise Duty and first registration fee where applicable to your nearest DVLA office.
First registration fee is curently £55

The DVLA may wish to inspect the vehicle before issuing a registration mark

Postal Address:
Paul Dawkins
DVLA Dating officer
11 Oakwood Drive
SO16 8EJ

Tel 07973 231879

[email protected]

Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Paul has since discovered he can do most jap classics
1 - 2 of 2 Posts