Honda XRV Forum banner

classical music?

5K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  Whealie 
#1 ·
any officianados on here? I could do with some some pointers.

#2 · (Edited)
What do you think you want to know?

Basically it is split into 3 types:-
Music Genres

The different genres in classical music?
Instrumental, Chamber,Orchestral, Vocal, Choral and Opera

A Music Timeline

Where do the famous composers fit into the musical timeline?
Medieval, Renaissance,Baroque, Classical, Romantic & Modernism

Musical Instruments

How did modern instruments develop over the history of music?
Strings, Wood,Brass & Percussion.

Personally you have to listen to a selection and note what you like by composer or artist and look into what else they do.

I have bought various compilations in the past and chosen from there.

Personally I prefer orchestral

#12 ·
#4 ·
what do I want to know? I don't really want to "know" much. I could just do with some ideas as at the moment I know sweet FA.

I happened, almost completely by chance to come across Beethoven Symphony N°9 Opus 125 at a moment when I sat on a train for 4 hours a day... well it blew me away... I've listened to it rather a lot since, all 72 minutes of it & love it. there must be more like that out here but i don't even know where to start looking (listening). I've since got hold of Beethoven's "Coriolan Ouverture" which I like, His Horn sonata which is ok. His 7th Symphony is ok too, but not a patch on the 9th (gospel according to me!) I'm kind of exploring on ze web (Sebelius 3rd Symphony in me headphones at the mo) but was hoping somebody would be able to say "hey, if you like Beethoven's 9th, you'll LOVE this...":happy6:

#5 ·
Classics yes Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Righteous brothers :D:D

#8 ·
#9 ·
Beethoven's 9th... if you liked the choral bits try some opera (not my thing particularly) perhaps by Mozart or Verdi, or oratorio (Bach, Handel). As I'm sure LV will confirm, there were some very good German composers e.g. Beethoven,Bach,Handel,Mozart (Austrian,but almost German!) .... and Italian too (Vivaldi, Albinoni, Verdi etc). Any particular instrument tickle your fancy? (Personally I love organ music..... the instrument is almost an entire orchestra when it needs to be). But enjoy your listening ..there so much out there,you'll always find something to enjoy.

#13 ·
i appreciate classical music too....what you need is to get yourself a perspective on the "genres" you like.

i very primitively (and totally incorrectly) divide classical composers into three large herds - do not attack me on this classifcation please:thumbup:, it is a totally personal way of seeing the world, which probably works for no one else, but for me it works

1. the mathematicians - haydn, locatelli, corelli, bach,vivaldi moving on (at a stretch) to beethoven and Mozart
2. the heart rending romantics/nationalist composers - schubert, mahler,verdi, wagner et all
3. modern abstracts/impressionists - stravinsky, ravel, debussy.

i dig group 1 because i love the cleanliness and crystal like qualities of the music they composed....for the same reason i dont really appreciate the second group...way too emotional in what i personally consider an unsophisticated way.

I love group three because in most cases, you can imagine pictures in your head when you hear their music

ok, ducking for shelter now to avoid all the abuse coming my way:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

#15 ·
benhur;618571- do not attack me on this classifcation please:thumbup: said:
how d:mad::mad:are you!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Vivaldi in particular was a genius...a priest who decided to teach violin in a girls only school;)

;):D not bad as 9 to 5......:toothy10:

#16 ·
If you liked the Beethoven, get Wagner- start with the overtures and see what you like.
Other than that, Vaughan Williams lark ascending, theme by Thomas Tallis.
R Strauss also sprach Zarathustra. Ignore the first bit (it's over used by films).
Beethoven eroica. Quality!!

If you aren't in the mood for deep stuff, then try film music- tends to get going a bit quicker! Some of it is superb. Recommend thin red line, batman begins, passion of the Christ.

Hope this gets you going a bit!

#25 · (Edited)
Moon, it's a shame you don't like Beethoven's 7th symphony as that is one of his best.

If you like his 9th try his opera Fidelio, Mozart's Requiem and Verdi's Requiem. Also Mussorgsky (see below).

Opera- I love Wagner. Give his 'Ring Cycle' a listen (it will take a while) although you can miss out Siegfried as it's the worst of the four. Götterdämmerung is sublime. The overture, Acts 1 and 3 from his Tannhauser. Oh and Lohengrin.

Puccini's Tosca and La Boheme and Bizet's Carmen.

Avoid Mozart operas and Strauss.

Ballet- Scheherazade, Polovtsian Dances, the Rite of Spring (you'll either live or hate it), the final scene of Swan Lake and papers' midi d'un faune

General- any baroque music especially Handel, Mussorgsky's pictures at an exhibition is a must as is Ravel's orchestral version of it. Mozart's Symphony No 25 and his 40 (skip over the first movement, that's been ruined by Nokia) and for modern Einaudi.

#29 ·
Avoid Mozart operas and Strauss.

Poor Wolfgang.....very unfair......i think Don Giovanni is a lovely opera for example....and Leporello is funny....imho of course. I would suggest, have a go and then decide for yourself....:)

#39 ·
Oh, and... (the penny drops more slowly these days) you could always try Spotify.

A world of music - Spotify - in English
A world of music - Spotify - in French

You need to install the Spotify player, but access to music is free. The free version lets you play any track up to five times, and there's a monthly limit, but it's great for sampling music to find out what you like and what you don't. You can buy individual tracks (I recommend building up a list of tracks to buy then buy 15 or 40 of them at a reduced rate).

Downloads - Spotify

Downloaded music is DRM-free, so you can copy it for personal use as much as you like. Want a track on your mp3 player and phone and laptop and desktop PC and a CD? No problem!

A search for "Beethoven" shows they have hundreds of tracks (though some of them were by Chuck Berry and the Electric Light Orchestra, LOL). There's a vast collection of music by all kinds of artists new and old.

#40 ·
Well I went to Royal Festival Hall last night to see the good lady wife sing Handel's Messiah (she was the choir).

And, despite it being our wedding anniversary and me desperately wanting to like it - and it being technically brilliant and sounding awesome in the sense of the wonderfully powerful sound of hundreds of voices all working together - I can safely say I hated it.

Going to see Stiff Little Fingers at the end of the month. A bit of 35-year old punk rock. That's more my cup of tea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.