·
Registered
293 Posts
cool :cool: like the look of that

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Joergs Motorcycle Pages: Voltmeter Circuits

Have to share this one , only spotted it tonight.

Jonny
Great product by Joerg. Similar to the "dark cockpit concept" modern airliners use in which "no lights" means easy on the eyes with no warnings...and your good to go.

If I did not already have a Dyna Charge Monitor I would probably go with Joerg's. Only diff is that the Dyna is always indicating a green LED when your smooth sailing. Any sort of charge monitor is better than none at all when your R/R decides to overvolt.
DCM-1

·
hondabore
111 Posts
Can u buy these from him as i carnt work the links. I have been looking for something like this for about two years since it happend to me and boild the battery. Any advise on this one are any other divise that would give me early detection would be grateful

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Can u buy these from him as i carnt work the links. I have been looking for something like this for about two years since it happend to me and boild the battery. Any advise on this one are any other divise that would give me early detection would be grateful

DCM-1

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Try this, just looking meself where to fit one and which type :thumbup:

Joergs Website: Items and Prices

To place an order, simply send me an e-mail. You can use English, French or German; I speak all three languages fluently. Please make sure your e-mail has a valid return address which is delivered to an actual human being.
Click here to create a "pre-filled" e-mail order.
I need to know:

• Your name and your complete, international shipping address (no PO Box please!).
  • Which, and how many, item(s) you want to buy. Please use the part codes above.
To make sure that you really get what you need, I would like to know:

• If you order motorcycle accessories, please tell me on which bike it will be installed (manufacturer, type and model year, e.g. "BMW R80GS Bj 1991, with XYZ alternator regulator".
  • If you order GPS accessories, please tell me which GPS you use (manufacturer and type, e.g. "Garmin GPSmap 60Cx").
I read my e-mail frequently and will usually confirm your order within a few days, inform you about delivery times etc.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
hondabore
111 Posts
just been looking at that on ebay myself and for the money its a bargain if it gives a idear on whats going on in the reg rec battary department.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
This seems to be similar. What do you think. I have decided to get one. If it gives early warning of reg rec failure then its a bargain.

12v Battery Charge Warning Light, voltage indicator on eBay (end time 15-Nov-10 21:25:35 GMT)

I've got one of those (though I can't remember if it was from that exact seller - at the time there were two sellers battling it out with one claiming that they were the originals reviewed in a bike magazine and had better features or were better made or something - though I suspect they both do the same job).The one I got had a little bridge switch on it so it could be set to monitor the state of the battery, or the charging system depending how the switch was set so it may have been the other seller (though for keeping an eye on the alternator you'd be using the same settings as the one you listed anyway so it probably makes no difference).

It seems to work OK. Wiring it in, it really needed to be wired directly to the battery (and through a relay or switch if you're wanting it to turn off with the ignition). On the RD04 africa twin at any rate.

My original plan was to connect it directly into the loom in the front of the bike behind the clocks avoiding the need to run wires from the battery up to the front, but the lights etc. up there when on mean the parts of the wiring I tested produce a lower voltage measurement than is seen when wired directly to the battery (which is what I think should be mesured for it to be accurate).

I'd read that putting a relay in would also potentially interfere with the voltage reading, but this doesn't seem to have been the case for me (using a regular 30amp automotive relay I got from ebay).Not sure if that was really necessary but as I sometimes don't use the bike for periods I didn't want it draining the battery (and I already have a flashy led for my alarm). I think the LEDs consume more than the LCD panels from what I read at the time.

It's handy having a lamp colour that you can quickly glance at, but in retrospect, one of those that show you the actual reading on an LCD screen might have been more useful (if a lot more distracting), and they're not all that much more expensive (about the same price or less I think if you don't mind waiting for delivery from hong kong). Though they'd take up more space and perhaps be more difficult to waterproof.

These coloured lamps are probably better if you're just wanting a warning if the regulator is going south or you're overloading things significantly, but a digital read out would be a bit more useful if you're wanting to monitor how much various devices are actually using when used in combination

For example, when I'm using my headlights and satnav and heated grips together, it'll go into a state that shows it's between 12.45 and 13.2 volts, but it doesn't show you exactly where it is in that scale (and I'm assuming that while it might not be charging efficiently, the battery would at least not be being drained if it was at 13.0 or 13.1 volts?).

I still need to look into that as it's made me a bit paranoid about using my heated grips,satnav and lights at the same time now :D

Another advantage of an LCD screen would be that you could keep an eye on the state of the battery when the bike isn't running too (so easy to check if it needs a charge if it's having a rest in the garage).

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Thanks Zenarchy, thats food for thought. My take on it is to give me warning about disaster like reg rec failure or battery giving up.
I can see what you mean by watching and wondering. You then start to think of what would be better.
This e bay seller says if you have ideas and they are marketable then he will produce somthing without a price hike.
I can see the value of the detailed readout of an lcd screen although as you say, you start watching too closley.
I have bought a couple, one for each bike. I may have a play with a meter to see what readings I get.
I have a heavy guage relay switched and a permantly on feed to the front of the bike, together with equally heavy guage earrth return wiring, this feeds heated grips, power socket (heated vest) and permanant feed to the satnav.
I suppose the issue of feeding via a relay is any volt drop accross the contacts and subsequent miss reading.
Thanks for taking the time to post.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
If it's mainly to keep an eye on regulator failure, I think these are probably better than the lcd readout as all it takes is a quick glance, and the warning flashes would be much more noticeable too if it started misbehaving, so probably your best bet in that case.

It's well worth putting a multimeter onto anywhere you're thinking of wiring it into to check it's consistent with the reading across the battery terminals to start with, when you have everything turned on. I didn't and wasted tons of time rewiring things (though I tried wiring it directly to the loom which might have made things worse).

I'd read about the voltage drop across the relay, but this didn't seem to happen with mine (or not noticeably so). Probably worth checking too though as I may just have been lucky with the particular relay I bought.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
If it's mainly to keep an eye on regulator failure, I think these are probably better than the lcd readout as all it takes is a quick glance, and the warning flashes would be much more noticeable too if it started misbehaving, so probably your best bet in that case.

It's well worth putting a multimeter onto anywhere you're thinking of wiring it into to check it's consistent with the reading across the battery terminals to start with, when you have everything turned on. I didn't and wasted tons of time rewiring things (though I tried wiring it directly to the loom which might have made things worse).

I'd read about the voltage drop across the relay, but this didn't seem to happen with mine (or not noticeably so). Probably worth checking too though as I may just have been lucky with the particular relay I bought.
Nice affordable gadget by the way. As for hooking up any charge monitor (to the switched side of the ignition) you have to remember that whenever current passes through a connection or switch, a voltage drop can occur. Ideally the voltage (at the switched side wire) should be within 0.5 volt of the voltage across the actual battery with the engine running.
If voltage drop from the battery to the (ignition switched side) is greater than 0.5 volt with the engine running then you should be looking for another circuit.

I forget now where I tapped my charge monitor into (red wire to switched side and black to ground) but it's easy enough to look at a wiring diagram and pick one.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Nice affordable gadget by the way. As for hooking up any charge monitor (to the switched side of the ignition) you have to remember that whenever current passes through a connection or switch, a voltage drop can occur. Ideally the voltage (at the switched side wire) should be within 0.5 volt of the voltage across the actual battery with the engine running.
If voltage drop from the battery to the (ignition switched side) is greater than 0.5 volt with the engine running then you should be looking for another circuit.

I forget now where I tapped my charge monitor into (red wire to switched side and black to ground) but it's easy enough to look at a wiring diagram and pick one.
When I tried wiring it directly into the loom, it seemed to be the draw from turning the lights on that was more a problem for me. It was showing very close to the voltage from the battery when they were turned off, but as soon as they were on it was way off.

I think I'd wired directly into the heaviest switched wire at the front (just after the main 30 amp fuse), my reasoning being that there wouldn't be much between that and the battery, but I hadn't considered any draw from the lights and anything else that might be connected to that circuit after the monitor to effect it.

Though I'm a numpty where electrics are concerned,and the wiring diagram was about as clear as mud to me, so I might have got it wrong.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Nice...but does not give you any warning of possible overvoltage due to a failed R/R. Too many LED lites IMO. Might be ok for the xmas tree.
If you ask when ordering they will make one with overvoltage as well
PS: i like christmas decorations:thumbright:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
If you ask when ordering they will make one with overvoltage as well
PS: i like christmas decorations:thumbright:
That will work then. :thumbright: Did you notice in the ad that it says "splashproof"....so you may want to do some additional sealing to make it waterproof.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
That will work then. :thumbright: Did you notice in the ad that it says "splashproof"....so you may want to do some additional sealing to make it waterproof.
It wont be a problem i dont intend getting my AT wet i have a winter bitch for that:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts