Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, I just wanted to share with you something I've just learned;

My clutch cable almost broke yesterday as I was out in a off-road track. I had to cancel it and go back easy to town. Why? I had replaced the bloody cable a month ago because the former was seized. So, do clutch cables wear so fast?

I rang the dealer and they passed me over the chief mechanic who, by phone, gave some hints:

The lower end of the cable, where it is attached to the lever (behind the pipe shield) has a mushroom shape; the lever's tiny piece where the cable goes has to work with the wider part of the mushroom's head, so the steel lever never touches the clutch cable (it's always touching the mushroom's body)

I link you to lousy pic I photoshopped to help understanding my poor english:

http://www.veodoble.net/clutch_cable.jpg (the cable shown in the pic is from google, not the TA one)

What happened? Maybe offroading vibrations took it off the place, maybe extensive use of clutch made it, but the thing is that the clutch cable was touching the steel lever, and slowly each thread of the cable broke and eventually I had almost no clutch. Scared 'cause I was a bit far away, but had a friend in case of need of towing. Today I bought standard cables and a pair of clamps if it happens in the future again. But I'll buy the original Honda because these standard cables are a pain in the ass to fit and once fitted they don't look very durable :(

But that would put you out of danger if it happens to you in the middle of nowhere!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

My clutch cable almost broke yesterday as I was out in a off-road track. I had to cancel it and go back easy to town. Why? I had replaced the bloody cable a month ago because the former was seized. So, do clutch cables wear so fast?

I rang the dealer and they passed me over the chief mechanic who, by phone, gave some hints:

The lower end of the cable, where it is attached to the lever (behind the pipe shield) has a mushroom shape; the lever's tiny piece where the cable goes has to work with the wider part of the mushroom's head, so the steel lever never touches the clutch cable (it's always touching the mushroom's body)

http://www.veodoble.net/clutch_cable.jpg (the cable shown in the pic is from google, not the TA one)

What happened? Maybe offroading vibrations took it off the place, maybe extensive use of clutch made it, but the thing is that the clutch cable was touching the steel lever, and slowly each thread of the cable broke and eventually I had almost no clutch. Scared 'cause I was a bit far away, but had a friend in case of need of towing. Today I bought standard cables and a pair of clamps if it happens in the future again. But I'll buy the original Honda because these standard cables are a pain in the ass to fit and once fitted they don't look very durable :(

But that would put you out of danger if it happens to you in the middle of nowhere!
Maybe it wasn't fitted and tensioned properly. LASt road trial i did on my xr400 i got stuck in a stage real steep valley bottom failed the stage found another way out got to the top one of my throttle cables snapped. Called the wife to come pick the bike up with the truck and trailer got it apart at home and the return cable was about to go aswell but that was with 10 years on the bike

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Sounds like it wasn't fitted properly. If it was it would not be able to move and would be under the slightest tension by the return spring on the clutch arm.
I have a spare one strapped to the one on the bike all the time so if it goes i just swap it over, takes about two minutes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I think it too, maybe I didn't fit it properly, it's the only reason I find good enough. But it's a bit strange because I'd swear that I payed special attention when fitting. Anyway, from now on I'll be very alert.

BT, you're a smart guy, that's a very good idea! Let me ask: don't they bother you while turning? I mean, 2 paralel cables aren't thick? Where do you attach the higher and the lower end, that rest loose? I may ask too much, could you post a pic about it?

By the way, do you guys bring with you when you ride off road some kind of spare pieces, like clutch cable, levers, etc?

Thanks for the info, now I'm pretty sure it was my fault when I fitted the broken cable. I had to remove the pipe's heat shield to see better, but still I had no luck at the end.

Cheers!

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Here you go,no problems with clearances as you can see.

I also keep a spare set of throttle cables under the reare of the seat where the back light is and a couple of spare bulbs (front and rear) Also take a 21" tube wherever I go as it will do front and rear.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, man! Thank you very much! I'll steal your ideas for my bike.

You don't have a spare clutch lever, I guess they don't break so easily, that's good.

I think I'll bring one. But about the tube, how do you replace it? do you also bring levers?

Cheers

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Yes two clutch levers and a brake lever in the tool roll in the tool tube

Also tyre levers,tube repair kit, full set of spanners (17mm recently added) socket set (mini) allen keys, gaffer tape and a selection of tie straps some big enough to keep the tyre on the rim till i can get to solid ground to repair a puncture. An air pump, a first aid kit, electrical tape and various other bits secreted around the bike.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
By the way, do you guys bring with you when you ride off road some kind of spare pieces, like clutch cable, levers, etc?

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Brake lever, clutch lever, gaffer tape (small roll) allen keys, tyre levers and tubes, various spanners, spare spark plug, small can of wd40, small first aid kit, cable ties, some screwdrivers, tow ropes, maps, tyre pressure guage, spoke spanner,

the list goes on

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very nice, so I guess I've been lucky so far because nothing serious has happened to me yet, but for sure I'll start gathering those spare parts. When I was younger and had a Montesa Enduro 125 (rocket bike! :)) I fell in a trak and broke the clutch lever. Fortunately that bike had the same levers either for clutch and brake, so I replaced the broken clutch lever for the brake one.

but about tyre levers, I don't know, I think I've still got to learn how to change tubes. Bycicles are easy, but motorbikes.... :confused:

thank you all for your advise, they were valuable to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Always good to keep a Lambretta clutch cable inner with your bike ( 8mm top nipple, 99p +99p postage, ebay) and a couple of electrical chock blocks for the bottom end. This will get most bikes out of trouble. Just thread through the old outer cable, cut the plastic off the chock blocks and slide over the bottom of the cable. The lammy cables are very long, so will get most bikes home. Just me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts