Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a note of advise as I was very very lucky.
Got a 2009 XL 700 transalp, 20 k miles on it. Always well maintained.
Out for a ride to Chester on Saturday (with the missus) 100 mile round trip, when in slow traffic, I felt a slight 'click, when I used the clutch. About 5 mins later, I felt the same again.
I loosened off the clutch cable but couldn't see anything without removing the handguards. It all still seemed well 'lubed'.
Managed to get home ok.
Removed the handguards and took out the clutch cable and it had snapped and was only holding on with 1 strand !! Talk about lucky !!
Ordered New clutch cable from Honda (£17 - which I thought was very reasonable).
Just glad it went now and not in 2 weeks when we are doing a France/Belgium tour.
Might be worth checking if you are thinking of going any serious distance.
I would have been completely stuck if it had gone!

·
Registered
187 Posts
When I owned a CB500 people who were on a forum for the bike always had a clutch cable already mounted on the bike just incase this sort of thing happened.
May be worth looking into.

Regards
Graeme

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
I had the cable go on my Z650 last year , i was in the middle of nowhere , and also did not have enough fuel to get home , so carried on to a garage, managed to get in and fil up and out again , by rolling the bike along and dropping it into gear , after that clutchless gearchanges are simple enough, then planned a route avoiding towns and right turns a much as possible for the way home ,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts