Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RD07 is going to need a clutch by the looks of things,
Any pointers on what make & cost?
Been standing for some time, just serviced with fresh oil & slips under load.
Going to strip it out and take it from there....

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
If your exhaust headers are as minging as mine were, get some metal polishing drill attachments and do them while they're off the bike

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Been standing for some time, just serviced with fresh oil & slips under load.
Have you checked the clutch cable? Sorry if that sounds patronising, it's not meant to be. I left mine standing for a while and the cable got a bit sticky; not enough to notice when riding, but enough to make it slip under load. Took it off, oiled it thoroughly, been using it ever since with no slipping. Much cheaper than a new clutch, and even if the clutch is shot, at least you know your cable is good too. Out of interest, what's the mileage? Mine's north of 55k and is still fine. Rattles in neutral, but they all seem to do that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you checked the clutch cable? Sorry if that sounds patronising, it's not meant to be. I left mine standing for a while and the cable got a bit sticky; not enough to notice when riding, but enough to make it slip under load. Took it off, oiled it thoroughly, been using it ever since with no slipping. Much cheaper than a new clutch, and even if the clutch is shot, at least you know your cable is good too. Out of interest, what's the mileage? Mine's north of 55k and is still fine. Rattles in neutral, but they all seem to do that.
Thanks for the reply, 1st thing I checked slackened it off & gave it loads of free play and the clutch arm returns fully.Its got 35,000 on the clock, £89.00 for the lot from wemoto & a couple of hrs to do. I'm going to keep it for some time so at least when it's done it's one less thing to worry about....

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Forgot to say, I did mine around 55k miles and it was the clutch springs that had gone weak (Measured length with micrometer) rather than the plates.

Ordered EBC heavy duty springs along with new plates.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi, I see you have changed the oil, was it a low esta oil for bikes and not oil for cars as that could make the cluch slip.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, I see you have changed the oil, was it a low esta oil for bikes and not oil for cars as that could make the cluch slip.
Yes, changed it for the Silcolene super 4 semi synth bike oil, thanks for the thought though..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clutch fitted yesterday, ended up having to run a 5mm drill through the retaining nut as it was bending my 2ft snap on cracker bar! Pulls well through the gears much better with the HD springs in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts