Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've clearly missed something that has me well and truly stumped.
Have rebuilt my clutch, so I now have a clutch basket on the end of the gear shaft, it has a ring of teeth that connects to the crank shaft..........
Then clutch plate with the screw threads in, then add all the steel and cork plates, then whats called on the fiche the clutch centre which is like a smaller basket with ruts to accomodate the steel plates, (and has holes to mate to the clutch plate with the screw threads), thrust washer and nut, springs, lifter plate which bolts to the clutch centre and plate to hold it all together, bearing, push rod.

So now i have a completed and very compressed clutch basket, by the time the bolts are done up the springs are fully compressed and the basket is all closed up.

So when I pull my clutch lever the push rod moves the basket back and forth, but the basket doesnt expand or compress.
Now I know this is wrong. I also know how a clutch works, and have rebuilt many, however I'm going senile - I cannot see how this clutch works, as the basket is connected to the crank, and the gear shaft is connected to the clutch basket -
Q - is moving the basket somehow supposed to disengage it?
Q - Isnt the basket supposed to expand / contract?
Q - are my springs supposed to be fully compressed like this

Sorry, really tired, missing something obvious (a part perhaps)
Please help before I turn the bike into a rockery!
All goes to

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If you have the engine cover off you should see the clutch lifter plate move outwards when the clutch lever is pulled. This will release the clutch plates allowing the gearshaft to rotate without the crankshaft.
Have you remembered the ball bearing between the push rod and lifter pin?
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yes remembered the ball bearing, just puzzled, the basket nut compresses the basket, the 4 bolts compress the springs; all the pushrod does is compress even further an already compressed basket and its plates. I must be missing something..........still studying it, I must be missing something really really obvious

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its an XL250 R, 1983.
A mechanic friend of mine is coming tomorrow to have a look.
I have all the parts, a microfishe and a manual, but I still can't see where I'm going wrong, all I have is a tightened up clutch basket

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All sorted thanks! One of the friction plates has a larger internal diameter to accommodate the judder spring.
Green lanes Isle of Man here I come :blob8:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts