Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
clutch kit ? took bike out for littel ride and top gear clutch slip's so was think need replacement clutch which one should i buy as honda seem quite alot ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
clutch kit ? took bike out for littel ride and top gear clutch slip's so was think need replacement clutch which one should i buy as honda seem quite alot ?

Firstly (and i'm not trying to be clever here) are you using bike specific oil in the tranny/clutch ? Car oil can cause wet clutches to slip due to some 'additives' to stop friction in car engines (cars have a seperate DRY clutch)

is there free play in the clutch cable?

have you checked the springs?

best way to check is to lie the bike down on its LHS (maybe using a box under the LH handlebar) and take off the clutch cover, slacken off the 6 spring bolts in a criss-cross sequence and measure the spring lengths against the workshop manual (weak springs can cause slippage)

remove the pressure plate (check if the plain washer isn't stuck to the underside)

carefully lift out the alternate 'fibre' and 'steel' (could be alloy?) plates and check their thicknesses with the workshop manuals spec

check if the inner/outer basket has developed 'grooves' where the plates rub

replace anything out of spec with new parts

inner basket - use honda OEM
outer basket - upgrade to billet (hinson etc)
friction plates - use honda OEM
'steels' plates - upgrade to STEEL for longetivity
oil - use oil produced for 'motorcycles with wet clutch' (jaso/API)

Ian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
didn't think about tipping the bike over to check it out will get the vernier caliper out and measure and replace what is needed was thinking about have part to hand to replace but can wait few days to sent

·
Registered
135 Posts
It just saves draining the oil and allows a quick check to be made:thumbup:

you could put it back together in 10 mins and carry on using it until the parts are sourced :rolleyes:

You could slip an EXTRA steely in there for now to take up the slack :nike:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
took apart today the springs are littel short so will be replacing them with heavy duty ones put some washer in for now to take up the slack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts