Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
big member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bike has suddenly developed a noise on deceleration a rattly sort of noise , its less noisy if i pull in the clutch lever it seems to come from the clutch area can anyone advise :thumbleft:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Could be cam chain, could be loose clutch basket nut...how tight and/or knackered is you're drive chain? If it's mega loose, it could be rattling against your frame.

·
White van man
560 Posts
Could be the clutch plates rattling in the basket, quite common and can be rectified with a bit of filing.
If you intend to get the clutch housing off i have a spare gasket you can have, we're not far apart.

·
big member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i could do with getting the housing off as it could do with a respray , when you say filling what do you mean? oh and nice one with the gasket.

·
White van man
560 Posts
Not filling, filing. The clutch plates have tags that insert in the clutch basket, over time they chatter and wear grooves in the basket, easily fixed by filing smooth.
Bad news is the complete exhaust has to come off.:confused:

If you need a hand pm me your number.:thumbup:

·
big member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on a scale of 1-5 , 1 being, 1 spanner (me) to 5 spanners (mr honda) how would you rate this job?:confused:

·
White van man
560 Posts
Assuming it is the clutch, i would rate the job about 3 spanners.
I have a good tool kit so reasonably easy, but with only basic tools a bit tricky.

If you fancy a 20 mile run to mine on Saturday i'm happy to give an opinion.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Could be the clutch plates rattling in the basket, quite common and can be rectified with a bit of filing.
If you intend to get the clutch housing off i have a spare gasket you can have, we're not far apart.

Filing the slots in the basket is something you can do, but it won't stop it rattling, in fact it could make it even noisier as the clutch plates will be able to move backward and forward in the slots even easier. It will just make the clutch have a smoother action. The clutch basket will have to come off to carry this out and if you only have basic tools do NOT hold the basket with a screwdriver to hold it still whilst undoing the nut!! The fingers on the clutch arnt that strong and could snap, then it will get expensive.
You usually find the slots are worn on a mega mileage bike or something that has been abused ie common on old dirt bikes.
I would be surprised if the clutch is worn, check the basket nut tension like I said, by removing the clutch bolts, springs and plates (keep them in order), but first check your drive chain for sideways play and slackness.

·
AfricAddict
65 Posts
Anyone has a link for a new clutch basket (cheaper than the official price)? My clutch has been very noisy and rattly lately, so I'm planning on going in next time I get the bike to pieces (it might be a while, I just finished last month the previous service).

·
Registered
450 Posts
Jut to revive this tread a little.

I ordered a new clutch pressure plate because there were quite deep indents into the posts on the existing one and on taking the basket off found the oil pump chain to be a little 'slack'.. It it supposed to have a certain level of movement? Does anybody know the amount of play there should be in this chain? I don't want to rebuild the clutch only to find I have to strip it all back down again?

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Anyone has a link for a new clutch basket (cheaper than the official price)? My clutch has been very noisy and rattly lately, so I'm planning on going in next time I get the bike to pieces (it might be a while, I just finished last month the previous service).
I would bite the bullet and buy from Honda, it might seem to cost more but at least you will be certain to get the correct fitting one.
Jut to revive this tread a little.

I ordered a new clutch pressure plate because there were quite deep indents into the posts on the existing one and on taking the basket off found the oil pump chain to be a little 'slack'.. It it supposed to have a certain level of movement? Does anybody know the amount of play there should be in this chain? I don't want to rebuild the clutch only to find I have to strip it all back down again?

Cheers

Mike
If you are unsure about the chain then replace it while you have access to it. Better than having to go though the hassle again later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts