Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before TLD and others and knowing that the clutch might not have that long left on it I decided to change it.

Its all in pieces and I'm just building the clutch back up, but I've noticed something.

In der Haynes it describes a Type B plate that is supposed to have a slightly wider lug on it and the original clutch the first plate has a different number and appears to be wider by 0.5mm. The EBC clutch I have as the replacement does not seem to have this plate with the wider lugs.

Anyone else found this? What to do?

Thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right I've answered my own question. The only difference on the first plate is its internal diameter to fit over the anti-judder spring.

Somehow i'd managed to assemble it correctly by accident :p

I'll crack on with the rest now.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Right I've answered my own question. The only difference on the first plate is its internal diameter to fit over the anti-judder spring.

Somehow i'd managed to assemble it correctly by accident :p

I'll crack on with the rest now.
And for your Next trick.:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dysan,

Where did you get the gasket for the clutch cover from and how much was it? I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Did you find a difficult job? Any things I have to look out for?

Cheers Loic

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dysan,

Where did you get the gasket for the clutch cover from and how much was it? I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Did you find a difficult job? Any things I have to look out for?

Cheers Loic
For the 650, there isn't one (as confirmed by various sources). Haynes book doesn't tell you that though. Just use a small amount of liquid gasket, but the cover is quite precise so doesn't need much.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For the 650, there isn't one (as confirmed by various sources). Haynes book doesn't tell you that though. Just use a small amount of liquid gasket, but the cover is quite precise so doesn't need much.
Many thanks that is one thing I now need not buy!!

BT Bloke suggested an exhaust clamp and seal from ebay (but its for a 600!) did you need to replace the exhaust seal or was it okay?

So far the list is

EBC clutch plates
Liquid Gasket
Oil
Sump plug Washer
Replacement Jubilee Clips (I doubt they will survive being undone as they seem to held together by the force!)

Anything else you recommend??

Cheers again!

Loic

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hows about someone to do it for you ha ha :thumbleft:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hows about someone to do it for you ha ha :thumbleft:
Well if your offering.........!:thumbup:

I just like to ask questions before I strip the thing to peices only to realise I need something else and then can't get to the dealers/Halfords E.T.C.

As Baden Powell said to his scouts "Always be prepared!!"

Loic

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks that is one thing I now need not buy!!

BT Bloke suggested an exhaust clamp and seal from ebay (but its for a 600!) did you need to replace the exhaust seal or was it okay?

So far the list is

EBC clutch plates
Liquid Gasket
Oil
Sump plug Washer
Replacement Jubilee Clips (I doubt they will survive being undone as they seem to held together by the force!)

Anything else you recommend??

Cheers again!

Loic
If you're going to change the oil you might want to get a filter too. I didn't bother with mine, gonna do it next week.

Yes both exhaust clamps broke as soon as I went near them with a spanner. The plan was to pull the exhaust in one piece, complete, but it won't come off like that. I had to go and get some temp exhaust clamps from town to complete.

I changed the steel plates and the springs too but they probably didn't need doing. You'll need a replacement clutch housing nut too, you have to stake the nut onto the end of the shaft after torquing it. Torque wrench if you haven't got one.

Oh and there is one plate different in the set you get. It needs to go on first , over the top of the anti-judder spring.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
you have to stake the nut onto the end of the shaft after torquing it.
Very stupid question and I should know this, (UKtiffy Will kill me for this) but what is staking, I understand it is some method of locking the nut but how??

And cheers for the rest I'll get on it soonest!!

Loic

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you have to stake the nut onto the end of the shaft after torquing it.
Very stupid question and I should know this, (UKtiffy Will kill me for this) but what is staking, I understand it is some method of locking the nut but how??

And cheers for the rest I'll get on it soonest!!

Loic
Basically hit it with a hammer (my kind of working). :thumbright:

You need a drift, a piece of metal about the same size as the notch (about 5mm wide). Place on area to bend in and whack it with the hammer.

·
Registered
897 Posts
All maintanence should be paid for in blood and skin tis the first lore of biking!:teeth:
Exactly! and over the years I must have gone through several square feet of skin and a few litres of blood --------- worth it:thumb:

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
I've just replaced the clutch rod seal in the engine case and noticed the clutch basket was slightly wobbly. Have a look here for a video (IMGP0055 is the clutch basket video) and pics.

Flickr: rlkat's Photostream

I've taken it off and I can't see any wear anywhere. Is a slight wobble normal? There are no abnormal sounds when the engine is running but the gear change is a little clunky.

cheers
rob

ps. in image IMGP0059 the top plate is now fitted correctly in the short slot at the top!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts