Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off to Norway for 3wks soon and have noticed a smeering of grease/oil around the clutch actuating arm and on the engine case. Anyone else seen this? I know there is a bearing in there, could it just be grease from that bearing or should i get the seal and replace before the trip? I assume that would be a big job removing the case plus new gaskets etc???

Help please! or any tips on Norway!!!

G

·
Heard this before. Can be the seal packing up... How old is the bike?

As long as the oil isn't gushing out, the seal just sweating a bit, leave it.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Hmmmm.

I think I'd order the bearing/seal (depending on cost) and just take it with me along with some hylomar. All small bits you can shove in a spare pocket I reckon.

Don't tempt fate by taking it apart now.

Of course, you may be wanting to come round and punch me if it all goes wrong, so go with your gut feeling.

Good Luck and have a great trip

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re: thanks lads

Thanks guys. The bike is a 2000 model with 35K, just replaced the front rim (bad corrosion), battery, tyres, disks (warped old ones) + pads. Gettin feckin' sick of this bike. Got the dust seal to bring with me so i'll chance it. Do seals sweat?? The leak was noticeably bad on a (rare)hot day in Dublin traffic....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Regarding tips on norway... i hear it can be pretty cold :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
re

The leak seems to be more like grease than oil, definetly thicker than oil as it smeares the case rather than runs down it.... strange one.. that's why i thought it could be some grease from the top bearing leaking out through the dust seal on a hot day...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts