Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

I generally don't use my bike (XR125 L4) for long journeys, it's mainly a 4-5 mile daily commute to work. Today however i took my bike out for a few hours today, mainly tarmac but some rough stuff too. I noticed that when the bike got up to temperature the clutch started feeling weird.

It's like there is no play in the lever, the clutch is either fully engaged or not at all. It's a bit of a chore not to grind 1st gear. Changing into 2nd is 'ok' and anything up from there is fine. Going down is a bit clunky if i don't match the revs too.

It's only when the bike is fully warmed up as it doesn't happen on my daily commute.

Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
585 Posts
There is another similar thread on here about this so that's worth a look. In your case I think you are looking at clutch drag. Firstly what oil do you have in the bike?, you really need a bike specific 10w-40. Regarding the adjustment it's not uncommon for it to alter slightly as the engine gets hotter, when the motor is cold there should be 10mm or so of lever movement before the slack is taken up when you operate it. If this disappears totally when the motor is hot just slacken it off a little. There may be another adjustment on the clutch mechanism too, usually this takes the form of a locknut and screw. If you have this you should slacken the cable completely, undo the locknut, screw in the screw till it stops and then back it off about half a turn. Having done this readjust the cable. I suspect the oil, have you used a car oil? this can have a strange effect on wet clutches. It can make the clutch drag, make it slip and stick the plates together. If the mileage is high the clutch basket may be worn. Look for a manual on ebay, that will help a lot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply.

I'm using Rock Oil, Guardian Semi Synthetic 10w30 at the moment. I bought it from wemoto as it was listed in the parts section for the XR125. Before that i was using Silkolene Pro 4 5W-40 fully synthetic which i thought might have been the problem so i flushed it and replaced it with the Rock oil.

The mileage is about 20k but apparently it had an engine replacement at some point in it's life, whether or not the clutch was done as well, I'm not sure.

I'll try what you said on my next day off work and I'll also grab a manual.

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
I had the same with my old SLR I replaced the clutch with a complete nes EBC dirt bike heavy duty clutch from M&P that cured,
Merv

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi all.

I generally don't use my bike (XR125 L4) for long journeys, it's mainly a 4-5 mile daily commute to work. Today however i took my bike out for a few hours today, mainly tarmac but some rough stuff too. I noticed that when the bike got up to temperature the clutch started feeling weird.

It's like there is no play in the lever, the clutch is either fully engaged or not at all. It's a bit of a chore not to grind 1st gear. Changing into 2nd is 'ok' and anything up from there is fine. Going down is a bit clunky if i don't match the revs too.

It's only when the bike is fully warmed up as it doesn't happen on my daily commute.

Any advice appreciated!
I use Rock motorcycle oil in my XR as they are an old engine the Motorcycle oil is the closest to older mineral oil, as it's th elowest grade semi synthetic but if not available i use Rock Guardian or Putoline. Neither Rock or Putoline have ever given me any clutch trouble

·
Registered
318 Posts
mmmmmm, just throw a curve ball into the equation, I use to have a kawazaki gpz305, (the belt driven one, with the chocolate cam shft!!!!!) anyway I had a clutch that slipped on that, I bought a new one and that one kept binding, no matter how I adjustedd this clutch one would stick and one would slip.
Solution, half the plates from slippy clutch mixed with half the plates from sticky clutch, Result normal operating clutch for the rest of the bikes life, which wasnt long with me as after the fourth head and cam shaft it went, for a 250 wet dream, that went for suzook DR800 Big.......... Oooooer i,m wondering off subject now so i,m going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts