Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since changing the CDI my Dominator starts fine first thing in the morning, garaged over night, after work though she is a pig to start. Again garaged all day in a public car park. Messing about with different amounts of choke the bike backfires bad and then eventually starts.

The only other thing I have changed is the spark plug. I have had this out again tonight to check the gap, 0.8mm, the plug may not have been in fully tight, I have made it tighter while being careful not to strip the thread!

Not sure the tightness will be the issue but never know, it did start fine first thing the last two days with the new CDI plus Saturday when I fitted it.

I'm going to change the coil but the new coil has spade type connectors where as the old one has a wire coming out of the coil. Do I have the wrong one or can I just put a spade connector on the existing loom? Not sure I want to mess with changing the wires this late before the trip to Wales. I'm also not sure what connector would go to where. One appears to be an earth on the old coil. Would I assume the spade connector to one side is the earth while the other is the one which goes to loom, this one is at the point end. Does it matter what way the coil is wired up?

It dam cold out at the moment, could this be the cause for the hard to start or the cheap ebay CDI?

Bike is running dam good once it gets going and starts fine when warmed up.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Guys,

This is the coil, it has a big spade connector and a smaller one. Do you have this version on your bike and if so does the big spade go to the loom wire or earth?

My Dominator is in a bad way, got another CDI on route and the carb is leaking fuel from the pipe at the bottom. :(

·
Registered
742 Posts
Pull the carb off, take the float valve off and clean the rubber with your fingers, then use a cotton bud and some metal polish to clean the brass seat. its probably the scale from the fuel thats making it leak.
Worst case you may need to replace the valve.
While the carb is off clean the 4 small holes in the body by the butterfly, they can make a big difference to the running. BobN has a post about them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Bounder,

Will do. was gutted yesterday knowing for sure the Dominator would not be taking me to the Dragon. Turned my work pc on this morning and the screen saver is the Dominator pictured at last years event, cant make this crap up sadly.

On a positive note at least none of this happened while I was hundreds of miles away from home. I do have RAC cover but still would have been a tad annoying!

Will look at cleaning the carb some point next week.

I have also been sent a new CDI unit so waiting to see if this is better than the other one.

My Dominator has done three winter commutes now and has had a hard life. I think I need to do a lot of stripping back and rebuilding. Still she is dam great and reliable when working.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Hi Bounder,

Will do. was gutted yesterday knowing for sure the Dominator would not be taking me to the Dragon. Turned my work pc on this morning and the screen saver is the Dominator pictured at last years event, cant make this crap up sadly.

On a positive note at least none of this happened while I was hundreds of miles away from home. I do have RAC cover but still would have been a tad annoying!

Will look at cleaning the carb some point next week.

I have also been sent a new CDI unit so waiting to see if this is better than the other one.

My Dominator has done three winter commutes now and has had a hard life. I think I need to do a lot of stripping back and rebuilding. Still she is dam great and reliable when working.
Sorry to hear that the bike wont make it Jamie so are you going to make it to the Dragon

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear that the bike wont make it Jamie so are you going to make it to the Dragon
Am still going Fred. Been thinking and planning since I got home from last years one.

Being a wimp and hotel tonight then Dragon tomorrow night.

Looks like tomorrow is going to be just as wet as last years. At least my tent has had an extension and I will have fire this year.

I really can’t wait. Hopefully I will bump into you and say hi. Gets a bit mental in the beer tent at times but sure I will see you at some point.

In reality I think coming on the XSR was probably a smarter choice. Lot more steady in the winds, cruises at higher speeds and for me corners better.

Do miss the Dominator though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Nice to see you again Jamie even if it was a leaving handshake i know what you mean about the side winds i was blown about like a flag on the way home today. Hope you had a safe ride home :thumbup:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice to see you again Jamie even if it was a leaving handshake i know what you mean about the side winds i was blown about like a flag on the way home today. Hope you had a safe ride home :thumbup:
Good to see you too Fred.

Dam oil light came on 10 miles from home. Had today off work to sort. Seems to have been an electrical issue probably caused by hours of water and salt being thrown at the bike

Yesterday riding home was hard work. Left about 8:30 and didn’t get in until gone 20:00 by the time the RAC assisted me home. By the time they arrived the oil light had gone out and I did manage to ride the rest of the journey home with them following.

My other half bought me some warm dry clothes and a hot chocolate as well.

Think just going to ride the XSR for a bit then think about sorting the Dominator.

I will make more of an effort to find you sooner if I go next year. I did see your bike but then I passed out in my tent waking up early hours on Sunday.

Some guy offered me a swig of his hip flask, no idea what was in it but I think that, the beers and red wine (left over from cooking) finished me off.

If I did go next year I would have to take it easier in the drink and somehow keep my gear dry.

Great event though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Your not having much luck with the bikes hope it gets better :thumbup:
Friday night at the Bruce last year destroyed me and the rest of the weekend i drank so much, I avoided it this year and had a much nicer Saturday night, the lads i was drinking with last year ended up with one of their party falling over and her glasses smashed cut her head above her eye and ended up going to hospital and had 40 odd stitches and another fell over and he ended up with gravel rash down the one side of his face i think i dodged a bullet there.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep seems when I do have a bit of bad luck it goes really bad.

Seems the oil light issue with the XSR was the send switch. I knew the bike had oil in it. I think the hours of riding home in the wet and salt had caused the switch to send an incorrect signal. The dealership seems to confirm the same thing and said the switch connections were very rusty. The switch is located at the bottom front of the engine sump. They plugged the bike in. Everything showed up OK, they cleaned the switch and all has been good since.

I plan to do a few hours work on the Dominator this weekend. The other half will kill me if I spend any longer especially as I was away weekend just gone.

Main aim will be to try and get the carb working again, charge the battery and try to get the bike to at least run again. Need to make it reliable as the MOT is due soon.

Once all that is sorted I will work out some mini projects to get the bike ready to the point where I would trust it on a long journey again.

Plans for 2018 all being well will be:

Change the fork oil and springs
Change wheel bearing and maybe some new wheels if funds allow
Thorough check of the wiring and electrical system. Clean replace any bad connections

plus all the other general maintenance, oil changes, filter cleaning, tappets etc.

Reactions: 650 Fred

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Keep at it you got a year to fix it :D
Do you want some bits i don't have any need for anymore i got the plastic speedo surround, front brake caliper rear footrests and brackets
caliper could do with a clean got a headlight as well but the reflector is fooked all off a 96 bike

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Fred,

I have a few spares of the mentioned items I do appreciate the offer though thank you.

I purchased a full set of plastics last year and they came with the clocks, surround, headlight and brackets. The rear light bracket on mine is rusty which I why I bought this set as it was a reasonable price and good to have some plastic spares.

Will keep you updated how I get on :thumbright: thanks mate.

Reactions: 650 Fred

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys,

I really really need your help.

Took the carb off today and replaced the float valve. Ordered one, it arrived so I just changed it. This has solved the leaking issue.

While doing the choke cable up I broke the plastic nut in the carb. Not fun! I had a spare choke cable and have fitted this.

Mostly all back together but the bike wont fire up.

Possible issues are the replacement choke cable. How can I test this is working?

I noticed under the carb is a wire, I'm sure part of this went to the bottom of the engine intake allen bolt. Unfortunaly this broke off the allen bolt and now I cant seem to locate the wire:rolleyes: I can see the two which plug into the carb via the loom. They all good it seems.

I am getting a spark from the old coil but its what I would say is weak. Its red, I thought it should be bright blue/white.

I really want to fit my new coil pictured previously but have no idea how to wire up. Any suggestions?

Before I tried to fix my old CDI it seemed to produce a better spark than the Ebay one. I was sent a replacement Ebay one but it seems to be weak as well. Do I need to buy a genuine Honda CDI.

Sometimes when starting the starter disengages. Is that broke as well?

Should I cancel the insurance and give up?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some updates.

The part I thought was a wire wasn't. Its just a bracket. :rolleyes:

Here are some carb pictures.

Broken choke plunger part. Can we buy these on their own? I see a set is like £40!

I have used the plunger parts and cable from the old set up as I know these worked. I did get the bike to fire up and it run rough for about 30 seconds.

I'm sure its the crap CDI I have from ebay. One thing I did notice was the choke cable (spare one) was sparking at the handle bar mounting part. I assume this is due to a bad earth? I actually forgot to reattach the earth to the airbox. So after the bike run rough for a short time I changed to the original choke cable and fitted the airbox frame earth. The battery died before the bike started.

I'm sill having issues with the starter disengaging, is this something in the starter or something in the engine?

Should I bite the bullet and get a genuine Honda CDI? £££?? The Ignitech one apparently has an extra wire that I would need to hook up. No sure I have the knowledge to be able to handle that.

I was hopeful someone could tell me how to wire up my new coil and that would make the spark better and start the bike. ??

Is it worth spending all this money on this bike?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts