Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody is thinking out there about buying a Varadero, then i have some simple advice DO IT.

I bought my W reg 2000 Varadero nearly 2 years ago, she had been stored up in a centrally heated garage and had 4700 miles on the clock, now just turned over 17,000 miles. The early SD01 bikes like mine were all made in Japan up to about 2001, the later bikes are made in the old Montessa factory in Spain.

She had Givi pannier racks but no panniers, and a Honda top box, also a centre stand and a Powerbronze screen. In completely mint condition and i paid £2300.

I have changed the tyres to Michelin Anakee ( superb on Vara) when the original Michelin T66 were worn out, and fitted new rear pads. I bought a set of Givi panniers off Ebay for £70 and i fitted Oxford Heated grips £35, i also bought some bar risers from German Ebay £20

What i have found is getting the rear shock preload right and making sure the tyre pressures are allways smack on, and this bike handles really well.

So i have a minimal investment in this bike, my insurance through E Bike Insurance is £78 per year TPFT !!! BUT i have a superb touring bike, and a real go anywhere bike main roads or backroads, simply load the Givis and go.

The reliability is faultless NOTHING has gone wrong, typical Honda reliability. Its built like a tank.

The KTM,s and BMW,s may be better BUT and this is a big BUT are they really £1000,s of pounds better? i doubt it very much.

I would rather have all that spare cash and use what i already have, it buys an awfull lot of ferry tickets and B&B,s across Europe.

THis bike is a keeper for a few more years, and probably many years.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Shep

In another thread I posted that my Carole Nash insurance premium had increased by 25% this year. So I was looking at e-bike who are about £140 cheaper including European breakdown.

If you dont mind me asking, how long have you been with them, have you had any problems with them as they dont appear to have a good reputation! Also do you have european breakdown cover with them?

One further question with your bar risers did you have problems with the length of any of the existing cables? Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Dave

I have been with E Bike for 3 years now, No problems but i have not had any claims or anything to do with them really, just pay my premium.

I dont think i have Euro cover, but not absolutely sure.

The bar risers are fine no problems with the cable runs, The jury is still out as regards these, less weight on your wrists, but more weight on your backside. cant win really !!!

DeeDubble had a great tip about riding style and posture which i now use, that worked really well for me.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
I have been with e-bike now 2 years and also had to use them when i had a flat on my first @.Recovery truck was there in 45 min and no hassle at all.There is European cover included,at least in the full comp version.I know cause i do have family in Germany and wanted a insurance which would cover a trip there
hope that helps:thumbup::D

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I have had my vara 2 months now, but it really is an awesome bike and can imagine keeping it a long long time as well. I still have my Transalp and had thought they would be very similar, but they are not. Apart from both being marketed (and are both capable) as adventure bikes, they are very different. Here's why I like the vara:
* ample torquey power
* big and comfy - especially for pillion as well
* surprisingly good fuel consumption (45mpg+):p
* modern (FI, ABS, tubeless tyres,)
* no one thinks, "oh just a Varadero then"
* massive carrying capacity (best in all of Honda's range)
* I am mostly doing about 20mph faster than I think I am

Here's what I don't like
* noisy screen/fairing
* complex
* not really looking forward to servicing it (but on the other hand there isn't a lot to service)
* heavy - not a commuter at all
* I am mostly doing about 20mph faster than I think I am:confused:

All in all the Vara is a modern day premier league bike that I am liking a lot.

·
Registered
344 Posts
is the fuel comsumption better on the 07 face lift bikes than those FI models 2003 -2006 ?

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
is the fuel comsumption better on the 07 face lift bikes than those FI models 2003 -2006 ?
Haven't worked it out for while but 45+mpg on my 07 Vara. Fuel light comes on at between 215miles and 230miles depending on speed/pillion/luggage and takes 22-24 litres to brim full.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My 07 is more economical on the daily commute but about the same on a long run compared to my previous 04 Fi. I've never had real issues with noise from the screen, I think riding postion/ear plugs/helmet type/screen position all make a difference.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I use 2 ways to work out mpg.

1) use the consumption meter thingy, if I keep it steady at 70mph, I can get 12.5-13.1 miles/lit on a flat section of M-road, it drops to 7.9-9.5 when going up hill and running at 80+mph.

My bike does 70mph at 3,900 rmp, once it goes beyond that fuel consumption decreases. Is yrs doing that too ???

2) calculation of distance and petrol filled.

In plain town ride, it seldom sees 190miles before low fuel light on.

In a mix of M-road and town ride, it increases to 42+mpg.

I noticed one thing some white smoke is coming from the right exhaust after I switch the bike right off, what is it ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
My normal commute is around 28 miles a day and varies between 210 to 220 ish before the light comes on. On a long run I tend to avoid motorways as much as possible, my regular long run to Cornwall is 247 miles one way and I know I can get there on a tank with light coming on around 235 to 240 ish miles, on fill up it will take 22, 23 and once 24 litres (that was close) with a cruising speed of around the 80 to 90 mark.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've yet to work out the MPG on mine at a refill but on my 230mile mainly country road ride to Lulworth and back the other day my readout flicked over to a 32mile countdown at about 205 miles.

This was enough to get me home so I have not visited a fuel pump yet.

It will be intereting to see how many litres I can squeeze and from that get an idea of the MPG.

Dave

·
Registered
317 Posts
If anybody is thinking out there about buying a Varadero, then i have some simple advice DO IT.

I bought my W reg 2000 Varadero nearly 2 years ago, she had been stored up in a centrally heated garage and had 4700 miles on the clock, now just turned over 17,000 miles. The early SD01 bikes like mine were all made in Japan up to about 2001, the later bikes are made in the old Montessa factory in Spain.

She had Givi pannier racks but no panniers, and a Honda top box, also a centre stand and a Powerbronze screen. In completely mint condition and i paid £2300.

I have changed the tyres to Michelin Anakee ( superb on Vara) when the original Michelin T66 were worn out, and fitted new rear pads. I bought a set of Givi panniers off Ebay for £70 and i fitted Oxford Heated grips £35, i also bought some bar risers from German Ebay £20

What i have found is getting the rear shock preload right and making sure the tyre pressures are allways smack on, and this bike handles really well.

So i have a minimal investment in this bike, my insurance through E Bike Insurance is £78 per year TPFT !!! BUT i have a superb touring bike, and a real go anywhere bike main roads or backroads, simply load the Givis and go.

The reliability is faultless NOTHING has gone wrong, typical Honda reliability. Its built like a tank.

The KTM,s and BMW,s may be better BUT and this is a big BUT are they really £1000,s of pounds better? i doubt it very much.

I would rather have all that spare cash and use what i already have, it buys an awfull lot of ferry tickets and B&B,s across Europe.

THis bike is a keeper for a few more years, and probably many years.
I got one of these last week, very impressed. One longish trip so far, countdown came on about 220. Soon as weather warms up off to Scotland on a shake down for a big trip in summer.

PK

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
I got one of these last week, very impressed. One longish trip so far, countdown came on about 220. Soon as weather warms up off to Scotland on a shake down for a big trip in summer.

PK
and still no pics:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D
Glad to hear you like them DB:thumbup::D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts