Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Speedos dead again. And to add insult I just got a speeding ticket..

Does anyone know if Honda used the same speedo drive on other models of the same year

Ive found the Honda part number for the speedo drive for my 99 xl600vx
Its 44800MV1013. This is also used on the AT but is it the same unit on the dullsville bros dominator ?

I can find loads of these on ebay at decent money, but TA' ones are in short supply and 45 + vat and carriage is a bit steep from David Silver

Fitting the nylon gear is throwing money away as it usually comes down to the helical gear in the body of the drive seizing up.
anyone know :confused:

Just for your info a speedo drive gearbox from a single disk TA wont fit a later Twin disk TA The wheel spindle is larger as is the recess in the rim.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
number is 44800MV1003 according to my honda EPC and the only thing it lists is the XL from 98 on 600 and 650 and the XRV 750 for it to fit
I usually find bite the bullet and cough up the money gives peace of mind with thing like this as you do not know if a secondhand one will be any better than the one you have, I must admit though £45 + seems bloody expensive go too Halfrauds and get a cycle computer and rig up until you find a secondhand one is all i can think
Merv

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
it may seem a lot of money but I would buy new from David silvers.
at least then it is known to fit correctly

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Before you install the new speedo drive, check that there is nothing wrong with the speedo wire or instrument.

The drive is designed to break if there is something faulty in these components.

A partially sticking wire or speedo will break your new gear in a short time.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I found this site on another thread: Motorbike components for Honda XL-600-VH (G) which I think is a great site.... just put your frame no into where it asks for you VIN no on the left side of the page, and it pulls up you exact model giving a full parts list. All you do is find the part and click on it and it will give you all the other models of bike that the part fits... also some of the parts are not badly priced either...

Example: found the speedo drive for mine is only 29.41 euro, which equates to £24.99 + shipping, and if you look at the page it lists a whole range of bikes that this part is fitted too... Honda Motorrad Ersatzteile Versand - CRM125RL - F-10 - Tachoantriebszahnrad, Tacho, Getrieberad Tachoschnecke 44806KF0000

Hope this helps you out a bit, if not buying from here, but may give you a wider list of bikes to look at....

Titch:thumb:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Titch thats a really useful site.. Unfortunately it seems the speedo drive was only used on TA and AT. Looks like David Silver will be getting £60 of my hard earned.
Thanks Dave :(

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ahhh, just looked at the part no properly and realised you wanted the actual housing, and not the little gear cog that goes inside it.... and yeh it does look like it was just made for the Alp and AT.

However, looking at the price on that site at £93.92 +shipping... I think £60 from Mr Silvers is not bad at all...

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is however ridiculous for a company such as Honda and a bike such as the TA to have such a stupid flaw!

My speedo just gave up today, for the 4th time in 5 years... absolutely rubbish!

Does anyone know if there is a company making compatible speedos from a material other than the cheap plastic used by Honda?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts