Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a '93 AT RD07 originating from Austria, and the engine number falls betweein Engine Nos: RD04E-5200001 to 5200531 for 1993.
Africa Twin RD07 XRV750 Engine Restriction Details

The original registration shows ~35kW which confirms that it is restricted.

I have a Keyster rebuild kit [KH-1389], which must be for a non-restricted carb. Anyone know why these kits don't contain the Needle Jet? Furthermore, the Pilot Screw looks VERY different...

The final point of confusion, is that the Main Jets currently in the carbs are #42, compared with the non-restricted #40 and the restricted #38... What can I do to deduce what has been done to the carbs/bike? What are the chances it was just re-jetted, and what are the chances it was de-restricted? Or possibly the carbs were totally swapped out? How can I confirm for sure???

It has stock exhaust.

Let me know what more info can I provide!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My current plan is as follows:

• Clean the caburators parts.
  • Replace all the seals and O-rings provided in the rebuild kit.
  • Re-use the cleaned pilot screws and needle jets, since the parts are either lacking or different in the rebuild kit.

• Finally -> use the new #40 main jet from the kit. Since it was running rich, whether its been de-restricted or not, this is probably a safe move.
If theres still anyone who can help me figure out about if the bike was derestricted or not, that would be greatly appreciated. For now, I will go on the assumption that one of the many previous owners didn't know what they were doing and either slapped on a big #42 main jet, or just replaced the carbs without putting too much thought into it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tanman, I have a 1993 AT originally from Switzerland so it had the #38 pilot jets in the carbs and I replaced them with #40 jets. It runs very well and I am happy. I bought my jets from my local Honda dealer to make sure they were the correct brand and size. I have never used one of the Keyster kits so I am not sure if they supply OEM jets, but I would certainly try the #40 size they gave you.

The mixture screws that you are reusing should be fine if they look clean.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and thanks mrfixit!

That gives me a bit more confidence! I will do as you suggest. I may post how things went, once I am finished ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi,
I don't have a true answer to what you are asking but I used the Keyster kit and can confirm:
  • they do not make the needle jets, I even asked them why in an email, as I was desperate. I snapped both when I did an overhaul of my RD03 (I have a thread with pics) and Honda discontinued them from ages.
  • the pilot screws seems different but I must say they are as described in the workshop manual, that is unaccessible as covered by a lid. The ones I found were instead directly 'screwable', so longer in size, although I think they were original. The only thing I left rather than using the kit ones.

All in all the Keyster kit is good. My bike sounds really nice now. Backfires completely disappeared.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a picture of the difference in air screws. Keyster rebuild kit air screw on the left. Notice that the dimensions do not look compatible at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts