Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

so yesterday I rode the Dominator to work for the first time since the bike has been in bits and put back together. I'm not sure the vacuum pipes etc are correctly configured and wondered if anyone can help.

All photos are pre strip down and they themselves may or may not show the correct routing.

So in this pic, I can see a Y piece tube section going to the carb, a piece comes off the Y section under the seat and a piece goes toward the ground. Is this correct?

You will note the piece that's is mounted under the seat into just air is next to another pipe. Where does that other pipe go?

Another shot of the same

In this photo, I can see the two pipes/tubes which fit under the tank. Can you explain these to me, is the big one just an overflow for fuel and goes out under the bike, what is the other one and where does it connect? I'm referencing the two pipe you can see next to the head and spark plug connector.

I have another Y piece and I'm not sure if the smaller of the tubes which fits under the tank should be part of the second Y piece. I'm actually really confused as I'm not even sure if the second Y piece should be on the bike or came of a spare carb I have laying around. Is the smaller of the tubes the other end of that unidentified tube which is exits under the seat?

The bike got me to work and back yesterday but wasn't running great, seemed to lack power and seemed to be starved of fuel at 50-60 mph at times. I'm sure its just the routing of the pipes as the bike was fine mechanically before being stripped.

Actually starts really well now. Must be the replacement CDI.

On the other side of the bike I have the crank case breather, this exits under the seat and is just open. Is that correct or should I get a filter? The bike stinks, when I get off the bike I stink of the bike as well. I don't give a shit but the other half moans when I come in. There was also a very strong smell of fuel last night although I couldn't spot any obvious leaks.

Come on guys help me get this beast fully operational :toothy8: She has the an MOT and is running but just needs to be back to how she was.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Philipoo, Ok so I need to connect the crankcase breather, that's a certainty as the bike stunk. Probably given myself a fatal illness breathing in all that crap.

I did have one of the Y pieces connected to under the fuel tank which probably explains the shit running of the bike. Its the one that connects to the opposite side of the throttle control on the carb, just under number 11 in your picture.

Will probably have to try Saturday now as its a bit too risky to bring it back to work. I don't fancy having to wait in the cold for the RAC.

Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Jamie if you've ditched the emissions crap all you need off the carb is a vent pipe under the float bowl and a vent pipe on the side of the carb above the fuel inlet both these can go to atmosphere. The only other pipe on the carb will go from the air cut off valve to the cylinder side of the carb (red curved line in the picture) you can do away with the T circled in the picture and connect the pipe direct. As for the crankcase breather you can connect it direct to the air box or vent it to atmosphere with or without a filter, If you do put a filter on there make sure it's not restrictive as you don't want any pressure building up in the crankcase and if you do vent it to atmosphere make sure you block up all the holes in the air box :thumbup:

Screenshot (41).png

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Fred,

thanks for the explanation. I had a quick look last night and can clearly see where the crankcase breather should go to the airbox so I will connect this back up.

When I got the bike the emissions stuff had been removed, the bike has been rejetted and some funky modification to the snorkel part under the seat.

My main problem, I think over time when working on this bike, I may we have not put certain bits back on or not 100% how they were. That crank case breather is a prime example. I have had the airbox out a few times and cant ever remember refitting that.

Completely stripping the bike earlier in the year, I thought I had enough pictures of things to be able to know how to put the bike back together or would remember but clearly miss interrupted what was required.

What happened to Philipoo response, I guess he deleted for some reason?

By the way, I have my Dragon ticket, will try and say hi before I'm about to head of next time. Not sure the Dominator will be coming with me but will see.

Thanks for your help, I will let you know how I get on Saturday, some tweaking time planned around mid day then an afternoon ride out. Might even try and find a light green lane. :toothy8:

Reactions: 650 Fred

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm reading this thread looking at my dominator in bits, thinking sh*t I marked up all electrical connectors, but didn't think about the routing on the tubes/pipes

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hi Fred,

thanks for the explanation. I had a quick look last night and can clearly see where the crankcase breather should go to the airbox so I will connect this back up.

When I got the bike the emissions stuff had been removed, the bike has been rejetted and some funky modification to the snorkel part under the seat.

My main problem, I think over time when working on this bike, I may we have not put certain bits back on or not 100% how they were. That crank case breather is a prime example. I have had the airbox out a few times and cant ever remember refitting that.

Completely stripping the bike earlier in the year, I thought I had enough pictures of things to be able to know how to put the bike back together or would remember but clearly miss interrupted what was required.

What happened to Philipoo response, I guess he deleted for some reason?

By the way, I have my Dragon ticket, will try and say hi before I'm about to head of next time. Not sure the Dominator will be coming with me but will see.

Thanks for your help, I will let you know how I get on Saturday, some tweaking time planned around mid day then an afternoon ride out. Might even try and find a light green lane. :toothy8:
God i haven't even thought about the dragon yet let alone got a ticket so busy with other stuff, I'm hoping to go it would be good to have a proper chat rather then a hungover goodbye :D if your on Facebook there's a page for the dragon only starts coming alive about this time of year

https://www.facebook.com/groups/52647079399/

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Fred I'm on the Facebook Group, quality banter. The post asking about restaurants in the evening made me laugh. I think I need to not start drinking until it gets dark next time round. Looking back at my photos after the event it would seem I went for an afternoon nap around 14:00 and then woke at 05:00 the next morning covered in sick. Not good. My feet were also outside of the tent and I was completely soaked. Some guy gave me a sip of his hip flask, been told its rude to say no. I think it was that drink that finished me off lol.

OK so on further inspection I dont think I can plug the crankcase breather to the airbox where I thought it should go. Looks like it just goes to atmosphere.

I dont think that was the running issue but good to know this is sort of correct.

Unless the crankcase breather could go to this bit

Its not currently long enough but could be made to be.

On the way home from the Dragon last year, cold, wet and feeling very hung over. I know the bike could be packed better, I just wanted home.

Got a pass at 13:00, will be heading out then.

Reactions: 650 Fred

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm reading this thread looking at my dominator in bits, thinking sh*t I marked up all electrical connectors, but didn't think about the routing on the tubes/pipes

What you doing with your one?

The tubes are not that bad, I'm just a bit if an idiot forgetting how they went. I dont think my bike is even close to how they should be as standard.

As for the electrics, they should go back fairly easy as each plug is different and will likely only plug into the connection it should. Just don undo the back of the barrel. I did that and had to buy another as I couldnt get it to work again no matter what I tried.

Also the loom has to go back exactly how it came off. There isnt much tolerance to get it slightly out of position as things wont fit correctly. As an example I had to reposition the loom as it wouldn't stretch to the electric part next to the CDI. Not 100% I have this right. Bike is still a work in progress.

I have broken another speedo drive as well. Cant affoard to keep buying these so will just get a digital speedo when I can afford one.

Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I’m turning mine into a sort of street scrambler, but it’s a long process, as I’ve been learning a lot as I go along, first bike build, so it’s taking longer than expected, but I’m not bad with a welder now ??

I’m trying to do everything mysel (except building the wheels) so not bothered about how long it’s tsking, as I’m having fun.

Wiring is going to be another challenge, as I’m re locating electrics under the seat.

Hoping to get rid of everything I don’t need from around carb to minimise the mess, hehe, even bought a plunger style choke to get rid of choke cable/lever

Here’s a photo of how I bought it, and what it’s like now

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scotty - bike looks good. I was going to do something similar with mine when I first bought it but then had so much fun with it as it was I couldn’t cut her up. Although I do sometimes feel like cutting her up now

OK so yesterday afternoon I took her for a ride. Actually firstly I re routed the hoses and sorted the speedo drive. Guys at my expense I’m always honest. Even though it make me look an idiot most of the time.

I removed the front wheel, was getting the plastic speedo drive out when the cable dropped out the back of the clocks. Obviously I must have overlooked doing this up!

So wheel back on, speedo cable back into clocks and that all worked fine.

Was a damp day, bit misty/hazy. Filled up with petrol, £20 bloody pound now. I’m sure it was £14 last time.

Rode around 60 miles. Bike run fine. Bit dodgy at the lights, seems to be hunting a bit then occasionally stalling. I know Dominators are famous for this but mine use to be ok. Will check for air leaks and possible do some carb work but will use the bike for now. She starts click of the button so not too much to worry about.

She was real fun to ride just like the old days. Not been off the road that long but I did feel I missed out with the nice summer we had.

I do think she is a little louder than normal. Lots of people turning to look at me. In London at least that should stop idiots just stepping out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Good news Jamie,:thumbup: make sure you block the holes in the air filter box if you haven't connected the breather pipe. If i'm looking at the right thing what I've circled in red is where the crankcase breather would normally go after going through the oil separator
44210221540_deb5488013.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right Fred, will make sure that is blocked off. On the inside it looks like it is but will stick some blocked pipe on the outside as well.

The bike is stalling a lot at the lights. Annoying when commuting in London so I do need to keep working to fix that issue. Also when I go along at 30, 40 50 mph and hold a steady speed its jerking. Not too much but it is annoying especially when going around a bend lent over.

Any ideas on that?

Sorry I know I'm demanding :p

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Right Fred, will make sure that is blocked off. On the inside it looks like it is but will stick some blocked pipe on the outside as well.

The bike is stalling a lot at the lights. Annoying when commuting in London so I do need to keep working to fix that issue. Also when I go along at 30, 40 50 mph and hold a steady speed its jerking. Not too much but it is annoying especially when going around a bend lent over.

Any ideas on that?

Sorry I know I'm demanding :p
I had that problem coming home from the dragon last year, run fine accelerating and decelerating but constant throttle it was hunting as you describe bloody annoying, i fixed it by putting a flat-slide carb on and binning the CV carb its run fine since :grin:
Something to check is you have no air leaks on the top of the carb around the diaphragm area and check there are no holes or splits in the diaphragm itself apart from that i have no help as i didn't try to find out why mine was doing it before i changed the carb although i did notice excessive wear on the vacuum piston which probably didn't help

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Fred,

I was reading your Mikuni post last night, very interesting. So you got a 38mm one with an adapter to make it fit the 40mm of the NX650 intake? The 38mm carbs are a lot cheaper than the 40mm ones, just not sure where I would get an adapter if I did go that route? Also any other bits I would need that don't come with the card?

In the meantime, I'm going to try and fix mine. This is what it does at idle, this was after a 50 min commute home which was a nightmare because unless I held the bike at about 2000rpm it would stall at the lights. The bike was way too hot to mess with the idle screw last night. I burnt my hands far too much lol. Hopefully this video works?

Came in on the XSR this morning, forgot how good the brakes are and how quick it is compared to the Dominator.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The carb i got was advertised as a 40mm but after buying it i found out it was a 38mm, the adapters were on it because the previous owner had it fitted to his xr600 but could never get it to work properly. Only other thing i had to change was the throttle as the dominator one had to do a full turn to open it wide so could only give it half throttle when riding. Mine came with the cable and throttle so didn't really have to do anything other than set it up, it was a bitch to fit though
Talking to the guy doing the dyno he said the 38mm carb would give you more low down torque over the 40mm but less BHP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts