Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any one help because i need a Honda part from Honda they say you cant order these studs cos they got no part number, why not, that confuses me, maybe time for xrv shop find some and put a number on it for the shop and i can order from this more reputable shop. thanks for any help.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a problem with these studs some time ago, I sheared one off. I went to my local hardware store and bought the same size stainless bolt, hack-sawed the head off carefully and hey presto job done.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Ben do you no what metal it is the studs are made from because i don't want to put anything stronger than the metal that the forks are made from cos (i will shear the threads in the forks) and my Honda dealer don't seem to like me cos all i want is advise and parts so i can do the work myself, no money for the mechanics you-no.:p:p

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
The studs will be steel - zinc plated, don't get stainless they're not the same strength (bit more stretchy than you want and not so good in shear), probably M6 either get proper studs (with an unthreaded section) or a length of screwed rod and cut your own, only problem with that is you need to paint the ends to stop rusting.

screw the studs in by hand with a tiny drop of Loctite "threadlock" (NOT Studlock) and then a nip up with a pair of pliers or moles, that's all they'll need. Don't overtighten, once you tighten the nut on the end the stud will be in tension and this will hold it in place, won't vibe loose especially if you remember to use the threadlock :rolleyes:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Dilbert, that just helped me out of another (the next problem) cos the senior mechanic said well get stainless threaded M8 and he can sell me the stud lock, DWANNNKR.:angry4:
the only reason i go to a dealer is to get original parts then he says if it got no part number i will have to order new forks cos the studs don't come out they are part of the forks,
tw-t
disgust, tell me another.:angry4::angry4:
how am i supposed to get the proper studs if even Honda don't no they come out.
:D(Dave if you are reading this may be a little earner for the site to keep near to the original grade of stud, just to save
fu
--
ing
the forks threads.)
Wait for this , then he said it would be OK cos there's still three studs left to hold the thing in place. oh oh oh oh
:D(Dave again how about if when you map out good M.O.T places for motor bikes (good idea) why not we also approve of our locale Honda dealers and how fair you were treated). or ripped off when your on tour.:twisted::twisted::twisted:
THIS SITE IS THE BEST.:wav::wav::wav::wav:

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
I guess what he means is that Honda supply the forks with the studs fitted, they probably don't sell them seperately.

Lots of people get caught out by studlock it's called that because it's meant to lock studs in permanently, threadlock or the less common screwlock are intended for parts that you may want to take apart, lesson for the day is that you don't just use studlock because it's a stud !

The load should have been calculated on only two of the studs, so in theory you man is Ok in saying three's alright, however theory and practice are not always the same thing.

You possibly would be Ok with stainless, and you would avoid the stud rusting, but is it worth the risk, get a stud out and take it to your nearest engineers supplier or hardware shop and always fit nyloc or aerotite nuts.

Charging you for four drops of Loctite is a bit much, they'll be charging for the paper towels they wipe their hands on next!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Get the Honda Parts ma to look at the parts fiche for Transalp - the studs are listed correctly with part number - I think they are about 70p each. I almost passed out whe I was told you can only buy the fork leg complete - then I thought about it a bit more and thought "load of b*llsh*t" there is no way Honda are going to do anything other than drill and tap the fork leg casting.

Sure enough - two minutes with the molegrips had the broken stud removed.

Good Luck

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for that info about the translap studs, would anyone have the parts fiche for the translap forks cos when he sees me walk in he tries to find a job to do. thanks again everyone for all this advice.:thumbleft::thumbleft:

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Taffy

Ask DaveS where he's hidden the microfische if you like, I can't find them, but they'll be here somewhere.

The part numbers for the RD03 ones are 929000-060250E and according to http://www.cmsnl.com/products/bolt-stud2-6x25_92900060250e/ they fit the TA, Dommie, and both 650 and 750 AT's as well as just about every other off-roader Honda have ever made :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Ask DaveS where he's hidden the microfische if you like, I can't find them, but they'll be here somewhere.
Yes good question. They are still around its just the link to them has gone.
I've now put the link to the Tech Data section back in.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Taffy

Just click the Tech Data link atop this page and say thank you to our venerated leader :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i am getting so close now to getting this stud sorted,
when i look at the microfiche for xl600v 87-88 then look at 89-96 /97-99 /and up to 2000 and the number for this stud changes each time,
before i go and order this part does anyone no if the size or any thing else changes because i'm not to sure which year would fit my @.
probably no change at tall but i must check with my universal master mechanics first, (thats you lot) before i scrape the bottom of the knowledge barrel (the dealer):):):)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and now I'm confused again (only a little now) i just noticed the stud is number on the rd03 and 04 but not 07.:confused::confused:

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
The number will change with each new model, because we engineers like to keep the plebs on their toes and as confused as possible, the fact appears to be that they're all the same item, so go buy one and try it, or like I said at the beginning take one to an engineers shop, slap it on the counter and say something original like "I want that one" :confused1: :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks again, I'm no longer confused, the stud from the rd 04 fits perfectly just wish the mechanic of 30 years of experience could help as much as you lot, once again (BRILLIANT SITE).:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
:D We all like to talk about how much experience we've had, I've been a Mechanical Engineer fo 32 years now, but I still haven't a clue on engine diagnostics, there are guys on here who work with computers all day, but from riding experience and having a go have far more maintenance experience than me, 30 years experience don't mean squat, unless it's the right experience and based on a level of intelligence often sadly lacking in mechanics.

Glad you got sorted, now get out there and ride :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i see what you mean Dilbert but his experience really should no what would be compatible, you new and that meant he never got me to buy new forks.:D:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts