Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my bike out ready for the new season so decided to fit some new tyres aswell as the full service etc..

I fitted Conti Escapes front and rear and only when I finished do I notice that the treads are opposite way round for the front and rear.

Basically the tread has a sort of u shape pointing forwards on the front and same shape on the rear tyre but it points the other way.

Looks kind of odd I dont normally fit new frotns and rear at the same time so cant say i have noticed this before, maybe all frotn and rears are like this.

And Yes they are fitted the right way round with the arrows pointing forwards before you ask.

I just assumed that both tread paterns would end up the pointing the same way.

Off to Google to search for some pics to make sure I havent got a duff set

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
arrows pointing forwards at the top or the bottom of the the tyre?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Photos of my AT with Conti Escapes on, does it look the same as yours? I found them great on road and dirt though they wore out fairly quickly.
Chris

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
just read somewhere that it is to do with the tread clearing properties of the tyre so the back needs to clear under power whereas the front needs to clear under braking.

sounds like it could be right but I wouldn't know for sure

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just had to read your message 3 times - I am having a thick day today i reckon.

My arrows both point forward at the top and backwards at the bottom funnily enough :D

They do point opposite ways I have just googled it and looked at at few images.

Does seem odd though I am sure someone in the know will have an answer as to why though.

I need to find something else to worry about now the bike is ready for the year.

·
White van man
560 Posts
As the rear is driven it drives the leading edge in for grip, front is opposite as it's being pushed.

Basically that's why.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ian - sounds like you have the answer I hope its true as I have just loaded it into my pile of useless and dubious facts file in my head :D

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
arrows pointing forwards at the top or the bottom of the the tyre?
I just meant they should point clockwise from one side and anti-clockwise from other side..................seems sorted now though so irrelevant.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys I have learnt something new today so I am happy enough.

It does make sense I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts