Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had a set of Conti Trail Attacks fitted to the 700 after ragging the final gasps of life out of the rear OEM Trailwing. What a difference all round - great grip , improved handling and I've lost the "headshake" - yahoo!!!

I don't think they would be any good offroad on anything other than a gravel driveway though! - but thats what I've got the DRZ for.

Get your self a new Transalp for under £150 - fit a set of Continental Trail Attacks !!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
They do look very road biased. But that is probably what you want from that type of tyre. I'd be curious to know how they compared to BT45s too.

I'd also like to know how Conti Escapes fair.

I'm always curious but never willing to gamble with my wallet...

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
I have been singing the praises of Trail Attacks for a long time now.:D
Not too good in the slippy stuff, but 99.9 percent of my riding is on hard surfaces.:thumbright:
They also wear quite well.

Andy.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Sharrie had them fitted on her old @ and I found them very good on he dry gravelly stuff.:thumbup:

·
TA700
70 Posts
Hi

Just fitted the Contis on my 700 and really transformed the bike :thumbleft:
so what pressures are you guys using ?

36/42 psi seems to be a lot...

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
I run mine on the Tiger at the reccomended 36 front 42 rear.

Andy.

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Had the Attack on the front of the Tiger and that resulted in much less headshake compared to the tourances it came with... Now on the KTM changed the front scorpion to the conti as well, again ridding the bike of the shakes.

Found them excellent in corners, wet & dry, but sand is a nightmare!

JB

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the TA 700, only done <1k on the OEM tyres so not changing just yet. This talk of pressures makes me wonder if I can use the same pressures with/without pillion with a different manufacturer's rubber? Following the manual and jacking the rear up from 29 to 41psi and down again is a pain in the ****!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well, mine says 29psi with or without pillion. Its a 650.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have the TA 700, only done <1k on the OEM tyres so not changing just yet. This talk of pressures makes me wonder if I can use the same pressures with/without pillion with a different manufacturer's rubber? Following the manual and jacking the rear up from 29 to 41psi and down again is a pain in the ****!
In my experience, Honda specify their solo tyre pressures a little on the low side. I usually run my tyres at about 32 psi - maybe 34 in the rear. Handling just feels a little more definite.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This has got me thinking now. The pressures are set according to load, but Honda don't know how heavy the solo rider is, they could be 9 or 18 stone for example or a rider & pillion totalling 18 stone. Do you think a tyre manufacturer would give the ideal pressures if you told them the loading for the bike?

The tyre contact patch could then be maintained at optimum. This could dramatically improve wear and handling, even the OEM tyres might handle better!

·
Registered
116 Posts
In my experience, Honda specify their solo tyre pressures a little on the low side. I usually run my tyres at about 32 psi - maybe 34 in the rear. Handling just feels a little more definite.
It's hard to see what possible reason Honda would have for advising low pressures. In my view what they say is the optimum pressure for the originally fitted tyres. Even though recommended pressures are going to be a bit of a compromise, I don't see why the maker would advocate lower pressures than optimum.

On a related point, gauges may not be that accurate and I'm talking home models, not notoriously inaccurate garage air lines. I've got three, one on my foot pump, an electronic one and a mechanical dial one. There is a difference of about 2-3psi between them so I adjust my pressure readings to the one that reads the lowest, the electronic. Thus on the foot pump I'll inflate on its gauge to about 32, so that on the electronic it would read the correct 29. But who knows if I'm absolutely accurate or a bit out. Another error factor is ambient temperature. Pressures are checked cold as we know but there's cold, and then there's cold. In winter it could be around zero, right now maybe 25 degrees. A pressure of 29psi at 0 deg. would not still be 29 if warmed up to 25.

So the whole pressure discussion has a lot of room for error in it. As another example I recently had my Alp serviced at the main dealer. The report that came back said the pressures were too low and should be 29psi. Yet they were 29 on my electronic gauge that same day prior to the service. So when I got home I checked again on my electronic and it read around 33 on both tyres. So clearly the dealer's gauge read differently to mine by about 4 psi higher. Who was right? I can't know but it shows the range of potential variations that can exist in measuring pressures just because of gauge differences. So when I inflate to the maker's recommended 29psi on my gauge, I might be running some 4psi too low. Or I might not.

For those who sometimes carry pillions it is a pain to keep adjusting the rear pressure up and down as stated in the 700 manual. I never carry passengers but if I did and it was pretty regularly, I guess I wouldn't bother to deflate to the solo pressure when riding alone and just keep it at the much higher two-up level.

·
TA700
70 Posts
Just had the best 200 kms on my TA since new !!
These tyres are just amazing and they really transform the bike. I just cant beleive Ive spend 2 years on the original set of Bridgestones, what a waste

I ve done a half day trip up to the mountains of Cyprus, with some good turns and straights and lots of uphill and downhill. the tyres stick like glue on the road and it feels that its riding on rails. They give so much confidence that I kept on pushing and pushing the bike further on the turns and it was a great enjoyment.

I run them at 36/42 psi and will keep it for the first 500kms, and will check lower pressures further and report again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been running Conti Trail Attacks now for about 60,000kms...

First ride with just the rear on was in torrential rain over a notorious set of twisties and it held up perfectly without need to scrub in, I was well happy.
Since then I managed to get just about 40,000kms out of the rear and i am still on my first front (50,000kms so far). For me 45,000 kms per year is about the norm most commuting and most on the Transalp. I run them at max 32psi then when I fill them they are often down to 26psi.
Even on a moderately dodgy surface thrashing the 650TA will not cause any surprises from the rubber.
On last years Rusty Nuts Grand Challenge (Famous ride here in NZ) I got a little "lost" and ended up doing about 40km's of gravel. Even being totally out of practice, after a short time, I was able to ramp up to almost full road speed and start hanging the rear out round the corners.
My verdict: Bloody Awesome

·
Registered
251 Posts
...I managed to get just about 40,000kms out of the rear and i am still on my first front (50,000kms so far)...
Surely that can't be right, or am I missing something?

Joe

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I have only ever ridden my AT with K60s and TKC80s.

I have quite the opposite personal opinion on the Trail Attacks. I had a ride on an AT two years ago with Anakees on it and when I bought my RD04 last year it had Trail Attacks on it. I rode it before stripping it several weeks ago and found the same issue as with the Anakees -- Too Much Grip !! for my liking, harder to flick and turn in corners

I prefer it loose and flickable and it will be shod with some Heidenau K60s (swapping with another forum member) on rebuild

Never had any problems with the K60s or TKCs in the cold and wet, snow or ice

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
I had them on my white ADV and found that when new they were ok but when they were worn they were very slippery in the wet:eek:

Sharri had continental escapes on one of her bikes, I think it was the TA. She liked them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts