Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When testing the bike it became overheated and the Cooling Fan did not turn on. So I checked the fuse .. Hmm, Looks Ok. So I removed the tank and the Fan, hooked it on 12 V and it turned. I measured the connector comming from the bike, no 12 V?!?! :confused: Let's check the fuse again, Looks ok again ... Hey wait, what's that ... A tiny hair fracture on the side of the fuse. So I replaced the Fuse with the spare (i thought) still no go. So I checked the Fuse again, this one also had a hair fracture. So I replaced both, and now my fan works again.

But big suprise, my Tripmeter works again also. As it apears, the second fuse was from my tripmeter, which was also broken and sometimes make contact, so the Tripmeter was working sometimes. Had the Tripmeter stopped working totally, maybe i had thought of the fuse.

Cause : A tiny hair fracture in the fuse, almost not spottable with the bare eye.

Moral of the story : Never visually inspect your fuses, but use an Ohm meter to check the damn things!!!

Happy Riding,

Jochen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ive been doing electronic engineering for a liveing this last 25 yrs and ,this is the first time ive seen someone mention this , top marks to u m8 , u r 100% right in the 25 yrs and the 10000s of fuses ive checked and replaced in the ice industry, ive come across a few nondescrypt fuses that i didnt bell out to my perril cus they looked perfect i okyed them, but wen checked under high magnifacation there was a rupture of 20 microns diam, ffs sometimes we arnt meant to see the first time lol

in the words of hoffman wen on the job " great shades of plasticity surrounded my shut eyelids lol" :) evy day we shud learn somtin ,

lol all in a days work

1 - 2 of 2 Posts