Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
um

in the last 24 hours I've been given 2 LARGE lumps of dead animal...

this is not "meat" , this is dead animal... still almost warm, blood,skin, fur & even a hoof!

Ok so it's sanglier, that's wild boar to the rest of you, & fresh from the field. 1 of the lumps is a hind leg & the other can only be described as a ribcage :confused:

I've managed to figure out that I need to cut the hoof bit off & get rid of at least most of the skin & fur...:D

left to my own devices i would then heave it onto a fire & chew it off the bone with the juices & hot fat running down me beard.... (sorry, neanderthol moment!:toothy3: )

What I really want to know, is how to cook it in an oven & make it acceptable eating to Madame moon & the minimoons.

Any body got any guide lines for cooking this sort of thing?

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
You need Mr Vader, he knows this sort of stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Aehhhh hello i am a Pastry chef:rolleyes:
but you could do the leg like a Leg of Lamm and roast it.The rest of the meat you could use for a stew type thing.
Or just look on the net,places like here
http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/Recipe.htm

sorry but it has been more than 25 years that i even eaten boar:(
but if you put a big peace into the freezer we come over for lunch in spring;):D

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Oh,i guess our Scotish guys would have some nice Roadk.. oh i mean Venison recipes:D:D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I'm a great vegetarian cook. Not much use I know.:D

G

·
OH WOW, the ribs I'd marinade in something eally strong (perhaps a nice smokey BBQ recipe or Peri-Peri and then onto a nice low BBQ (or slow roast in the oven)

The leg will eiher be nice roasted on it's own or you can make small deep slits in the meat and insert whole garlic cloves or herbs... Just remember to collect any juice and mix with a bit of instant gravy mix for the most gorgeously rich gravy (yes I know it's better to thicken and leave it at that but was keeping it simple)

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
I am not an expert here but have been involved in all types of country sports all my life and have eaten most wild meats except wild boar!!! FWIW here's my view....

free wild meat is rarely the treat it seems. Wild game can so often be old and tough and impossible to cook properly. I have had venison given to me that was frankly indelible or that had so little meat on the bones all you really got was a decent gravy and some bones to suck.

A few things to establish before you start.
Age of animal when killed. General rule of thumb is the younger the better. Females often better than males. What was it doing when killed - if it had been running or being chased for a while the adrenaline can also spoil the meat.
How long dead when you got it? Most meat benefits from being hung for a while. It depends on the animal and the temperature. I don't really know but would have thought wild boar would be better hung for 1-2weeks at least in cold to cool conditions.
The Cut. The leg sounds good but if it is an old properly wild animal the muscles will be well used and therefore tough as old boots. Nevertheless you should be able to get several decent hunks of meat off it. When I have carved up venisonon or indeed any other lump of dead mammal I haven't really worried about exactly what I am doing, just making it into cookable presentable portions. Don't chuck too much away either. Bones and sinewy bits add to soups and stock. You will need to be prepared to get your hands bloody and dig into the meat to track the joints, bones or whatever to cut it up. Ribs are never that good IMHO but if loads of meat attached to them then you can probably do something decent with them, otherwise cut the rack up into the ribs and quick roast something sticky as Kymmy suggests.
If the animal is young and the meat is soft and fine grained (think about the difference between a raw bit of fillet steak and something like Shin of beef) it will probably be tender. Quick cook is best in my opinion - hot oven and check after 30mins or so that it is just cooked through. I like pork done simply and with apple sauce. Pork crackling is really hard - its needs to be salted for a while beforehand and in my experince to get it crispy it needs separate grilling or frying either before or after the main cook.
If you have loads and loads you either need a big party and cook it all at once, or cut into into hunks and freeze it. Make sure it is dry and well sealed up (vacuum) before freezing else it will dry out. Eat within 3-4months it goes rubbish after that.
Good luck and enjoy. :thumbright:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
hey, austin, good advice. cooking the meat long and slow is the way to go. i think there's a bunny boiler near me who might be able to advice too.
If there's one thing I like better than a bit of wild boar it's a bunny boiler :toothy7::toothy7:

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
hey, austin, good advice. cooking the meat long and slow is the way to go.
+1.
Have sampled "Moo Pa" (Pig, Jungle) alot in western Thailand, where we used to hunt in the mid '80's. BBQ'ed? May as well eat an extremely old boot, certainly more tender and probably just as tasty. Like most wild meat, there's little fat in it, so reckon a slow cooked stew might possibly be the way to go.:confused:

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the ideas guys n gals, having hung it for 3 days I've hacked off the furry / hoofy bit at one end & the remaining lump has gone in the freezer to be used the week after christmas when my parents are here, that way there'll be 4 of us arguing about how best to cook it...:toothy10:. Any further suggestions welcome.

PS a BBQ is out of the question as the temperatur is likely to be somewhat negative °c outside:thumb:

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
um

in the last 24 hours I've been given 2 LARGE lumps of dead animal...

this is not "meat" , this is dead animal... still almost warm, blood,skin, fur & even a hoof!

Ok so it's sanglier, that's wild boar to the rest of you, & fresh from the field. 1 of the lumps is a hind leg & the other can only be described as a ribcage :confused:

I've managed to figure out that I need to cut the hoof bit off & get rid of at least most of the skin & fur...:D

left to my own devices i would then heave it onto a fire & chew it off the bone with the juices & hot fat running down me beard.... (sorry, neanderthol moment!:toothy3: )

What I really want to know, is how to cook it in an oven & make it acceptable eating to Madame moon & the minimoons.

Any body got any guide lines for cooking this sort of thing?
Main thing is to be sure its well hung, no? :toothy2:

OK, so now you've got that image in yer head, what I mean is it needs 5--10 days after all the fur and giblets have been cleaned off.
Not sure of the temp - around 4 degrees?
Then you've got high table pork, so joint it like apig - your butcher probably help out/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts