Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Na'then as they say int north

have done 2,000k on 99 dero when I collected it there was definatley fluid in the expansion bottle. Now there isn't - includes when cold and when hot. There are mo obvious leaks where I leave it after a run.
The level when I bought it was at the lowest marker btw

Ok so here's the Q. Where has it gone? Should I be worried and if so what should I be worried about?

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
the level should be between the two hard to see lines on the tank. it'll give exact details in the handbook.
had it had a change just before you got it? if there are no obvious leaks then perhaps if it was changed whoever did it didnt run the bike to circulate fluid and get rid of airlocks before checking the level again?
if theres a slight leak and it drips onto a hot bit then it could evaporate before getting to the ground, but it usually stinks and leaves a telltale stain.

if the temp guage hasnt been high then i wouldnt worry about it, (im assuming the temp guage works and theres enought coolant in the system to reach the sensor) but keep it topped up properly, and keep an eye on it, if it keeps going down then of course you have a problem somewhere.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Check the jubilee clips on all the hoses. Mine weren't at all tight and some fluid was seeping out so slowly it was difficult to be sure where it was leaking from.

After discovering how much I could tighten the originals, I replaced them with decent quality new ones and problem solved.

Mine's also a '99 so probably the hoses will have gone a bit hard and shrink a little.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Are you sure its gone? On my bike and with my bad eyes it's notoriously difficult to see the level and I have to give the bars a wiggle to get a wave going and then I can find and see it.

It's never used a drop though.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure its gone? On my bike and with my bad eyes it's notoriously difficult to see the level and I have to give the bars a wiggle to get a wave going and then I can find and see it.

It's never used a drop though.
Hehe Boris - with eyes like your .... Mmmmm if you are going on the dingle run remind me not to follow you. I will give you a free eye test since it's my livelihood ;)

The bottle is discoloured and it was the so called wiggle that made me realise it wasn't there.

As the weather has been cold the temp gauge has rarely been above a quarter even on a long run or round town. The other day ibhad to sit 5 mins in traffic while the police removed the blockage. Ad it was cold I left the engine running and the fan came on, it was then I saw the temp guage was a little over half. It returned to it's usual 1/4 position as I got a mile or so along. That's what made me check the expansion bottle.

The hoses are a little tough but I can't see any leaks.
As I have only had it a short while I called the shop I got from and they have offered to look at it so I will top it up and see if it goes again.

Thanks for the comments - while I am a total dolt when it comes to Diy and mechanics I am learning so much from this forum and as my dementia isn't fully blown again I am retaining it all so I won't have to ask stupid questions again
Gary

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Hi there, my Tiger used to lose water, it was fine sitting in the shed, fine riding along unless it got real hot, but mostly it would spit it out when you stop at lights, junctions, destination, etc.
Your Vara may have had a "moment" and chucked some water out! I'd top it up and keep an eye on it. As said already, if it drips it usually finds a way to the exhaust and you may smell it. Remember to top up with anti freeze, it not only stops it freezing, also stops it from boiling.
I've had two Vara's and haven't needed coolant in either of them. Might also be the cap, the Tiger one was a problem.
Leaks are hard to find best of times, they usually leak under pressure which is when you are actually riding along! Best of luck to you mate.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
As the weather has been cold the temp gauge has rarely been above a quarter even on a long run or round town. The other day ibhad to sit 5 mins in traffic while the police removed the blockage. Ad it was cold I left the engine running and the fan came on, it was then I saw the temp guage was a little over half. It returned to it's usual 1/4 position as I got a mile or so along. That's what made me check the expansion bottle.
that sounds perfectly fine to me,
1/its normal,
2/idling heats it up,
3/fan cuts in,
4/with a bit of air through the radiators it returns to normal.

mine is Fi with digital guage, it goes up three bars and never moves up or down.
the level in the bottle is notoriously difficult to check, i marked the hi/lo lines with a sharpie but the bottle plastic is so thick you cant see the coolant level through it anyway! now i take the cap off and shine a torch in the bottle (on the centre stand, not side stand, though with the design and placing of the bottle i dont think it makes much difference).

re the bottle cap, check the seal in the cap because if thats letting pressure drop it will allow the coolant to boil, and you could lose some through steam.

·
Registered
285 Posts
if you are going on the dingle run remind me not to follow you. I will give you a free eye test since it's my livelihood ;)
Sorry for the hijack, but what Dingle run, done a search and can't find it.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
I'd just top it up and keep an eye on it.....

No point worrying too much until you're certain it's a fault.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
On my 99er during the colder weather my temp guage rarely creeps above the cold mark while on a run. If the bike is stationary for a long time (several minutes) it does go up a bit. I can only remember the fan kicking in on a few occasions, mostly in Italy in 30 degrees plus.
My coolant bottle is always full and the oil level is good. I reckon yours needs a top-up:thumbup:

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On my 99er during the colder weather my temp guage rarely creeps above the cold mark while on a run. If the bike is stationary for a long time (several minutes) it does go up a bit. I can only remember the fan kicking in on a few occasions, mostly in Italy in 30 degrees plus.
My coolant bottle is always full and the oil level is good. I reckon yours needs a top-up:thumbup:
Thanks Jackdaw - I have topped up and will just keep checking on it now. THe fan must not have come on before becoz when it started up it made a hell of a noise - thought it was going to blow up - was quickly deciding where the nearest tree was and if I needed a liferaft :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts