Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a funny one and the threats I read don't give the solution. My TA, just bought a used one, the temp does not get out of the left corner, only running idle for 20 minutes and then it goes. Put some paper in front of the radiator and yes, there she goes..... So.... Thermostat stays open.... Yeh right. Taking it apart, checking the thermostat (boiling a pan with water) and no problems. I mounted it again.... and problem stays...... now how can that happen, Anyone a good tip??

Cheers

Patrick

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Most of them do that, gauge hardly moves in normal use. My 130,000 miler Africa Twin probably only had the fan on about 5 times in it's life, the gauge rarely moving off cold.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
dont worry about it they all run cool like that

the only time my fan came on in anger was after a long high reving alpine climb in 30c heat.. it came on for about 30s!! the temp indicator was about 1/3 the way up.. then droped to the bottom :)

just make sure your coolant bottle has the correct level in and ride :)

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a funny one and the threats I read don't give the solution. My TA, just bought a used one, the temp does not get out of the left corner, only running idle for 20 minutes and then it goes. Put some paper in front of the radiator and yes, there she goes..... So.... Thermostat stays open.... Yeh right. Taking it apart, checking the thermostat (boiling a pan with water) and no problems. I mounted it again.... and problem stays...... now how can that happen, Anyone a good tip??

Cheers

Patrick
All sounds perfectly normal to me....only comes on in bad London traffic.....

Always ask on here first before dismantling...Lot of experience on here..

(not me):)

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's a pretty common occurence on 600s. They are pretty cool-running bikes and thermostat has nothing to do with it. They are just made that way.
I suggest you just check the fan works properly and do not worry about it.
Only problem is during the winter but then you can just slip a piece of cardboard under the LH radiator and live with it.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys... I would like to call it ****ty design:( but due to your answers I can live with it. I like my bike to get a bit of temperature so I stick to a piece of paper in front of the left radiator.

Cheers

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
the other night it was muggy and i managed to get the temp up to the middle mark, but as soon as I started to move off it dropped to between the two marks, it does seem to be normal in this climate, it may need the desert temps to run hot.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Hi Patrick,

Definitly normal on a 600. In the 8 years I had mine I only heard the fan about a dozen times, unlike my 700... ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I run my TA in spain and the temp creeps up to only half in some pretty serious heat only in town and traffic. Think my fan switch had gone but ran a jumper wire from the connecter straight to the batt neg and put a small switch on it and zip tied to handlebars. This was temp repair whilst touring and worked fine. From the book of words the thermostat fan switch wont come on till water temp is 120 deg c. Still not too sure if the switch was duff but didnt want to risk boiling the beast whilst on tour!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi - had a quick look on other threads, and also in the Haynes manual - but I can't seem to find anywhere that tells you easliy how to test the Fan.

Mine has never come on, but I only use it for 10 mile commuter trips, in pretty open country side with little traffic queuing ..

it has started to get hot recently after some pretty had powerlosses .. and was wondering if there are a couple of connection I can use to check the fan does acutally work .. think the power loss is to do with fuel, but was interested in seeing the fan spin ..

anyone any tips ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi,
If you pull the wire off the thermostat on the right hand radiator(It is on the bottom left hand corner) Take a piece of wire about 2-3 ft then push one end into the lead you just pulled off, and the other end to the earth on the battery(NEG). Switch the ignition on and you will hear the fan run up.Trust me you cant miss it. Dont need to take off frontfairingso quite an easy job! 15 min max. Sorry if some off this is suck egg stuff but dont know your mech know how!! Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts