Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got new chain & sprockets last week for 2001 AT, front sprocket from David Silver. DID Chain & 42 T rear sprocket.
The front sprocket (David Silver OEM) is different from the one that is due to come off. The new sprocket had a hard plastic collar fixed to each side of the metal sprocket whereas the old sprocket has this only on one side. Also the diameter of the plastic collar is larger than that on the old sprocket which prevents the sprocket teeth fully engaging with the chain, chain sorta rides high on the sprocket. Chain mates fine with the old sprocket and teeth pitch is the same on both sprockets.

David Silver assures me that this is the correct sprocket. Anyone come across this before? Any ideas?

Thx
Blue Skies
(AKA Paul)

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
You'll start them all off now!!!!

OEM front sprocket does have a large chunky rubber/plastic wossname on it. Opinion is divided on it's necessity. Everyone else says it is necessary.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Following is OEM. :D Like Yen has said...either will work and it's a personal choice. What's important is proper
chain maintenance ensuring you have a minimum 70mm of chain slack. FYI...Honda OEM spec is 45T rear and 16T front....again your choice.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
It's true, a new chain doesn't sit correctly on a new oem sprocket. Give it a little while, it'll bed in just fine :thumbup:

GSPD; the 70mm, is that with the suspension fully extended?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Interesting to see that photo of the chain adjustment (70mm tube between lower chain run and underside of swingarm).

I've seen that recommended by a lot of people, but with the tube position a few inches further forward than in that picture -- around the front edge of the tyre or even slightly more forward. That has the chain significantly looser. That is with the bike on the sidestand.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
It's true, a new chain doesn't sit correctly on a new oem sprocket. Give it a little while, it'll bed in just fine :thumbup:

GSPD; the 70mm, is that with the suspension fully extended?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
That is with the bike sitting on the sidestand and if carrying a passenger and or heavy panniers it should be compensated somewhat.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Interesting to see that photo of the chain adjustment (70mm tube between lower chain run and underside of swingarm).

I've seen that recommended by a lot of people, but with the tube position a few inches further forward than in that picture -- around the front edge of the tyre or even slightly more forward. That has the chain significantly looser. That is with the bike on the sidestand.
Your right...that tube is not quite midway and that is where it should be checked...closer to the front edge of the tire. I should correct
that in the future as it could mislead...but people should still get the idea as 35mm-45mm recommended by Honda is waaaay to tight
as the consensus has agreed here.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx for the replies. Refering back to my original post:

- new sprocket has collar on bioth sides where as old sprocket has collar only on one side, the outward facing side. Which is correct for an OEM sprocket??

Unfortunatley the bikes not rideable with with the chain ridinghigh on the sprocket, too much of a clatter. If its the correct sprocket I'll have to take a bit off.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Thx for the replies. Refering back to my original post:

- new sprocket has collar on bioth sides where as old sprocket has collar only on one side, the outward facing side. Which is correct for an OEM sprocket??

Unfortunatley the bikes not rideable with with the chain ridinghigh on the sprocket, too much of a clatter. If its the correct sprocket I'll have to take a bit off.
OEM sprocket is in the above pic...rubber out. Not sure why it would be riding high as both spockets and chain are new:dontknow:. How many teeth on the front sprocket?
Give us a pic maybe.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry to be a pian, but maybe I'm not being clear enough

Question is; should an OEM sproecket have the platic collar on both sides?

If not then I have the incorret sprocket which may explain the chain riding high.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Blue Skies,
I know it's not an @ but my Transalp 700's front sprocket looks exactly the same as this.
I replaced it along with the chain recently and bought the front sprocket from Honda so it is definitely the right one, it has the rubber on both sides. The chain also didn't sit down fully on the teeth when first fitted, but i could see from the old one (which was the same) the rubber beds down over time, i presumed to reduce noise, but maybe not if you say your's rattles a lot..
I think you will find once the tension is on the chain under load the chain will sit down on the teeth nicely..
I'm far from an expert and relatively new to bike maintenance, but hope this helps a little :)
Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts