Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed the front tube after picking up a massive thorn on the Fosse way. Starting from the base of the new tube it came with a conical washer thingy then two nuts and a dust cap. I wasn't sure if the conical washer went inside the rim alone, with one nut or with both nuts on the outside of the rim, anyone know if it matters?

I ended up not using the conical washer, couldn't get it to stay on the valve, and putting both nuts on the outside but I'm wondering if I should have used it with a nut to keep it in place whilst fitting.

Cheers

David

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think the washer is held in place by one nut and the other nut holds it in the hole.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the washer is held in place by one nut and the other nut holds it in the hole.
That's what the old tube had (I only looked closely when tidying up) but It looked like it would push the valve in a fair bit and so not lie flat around the valve, if that makes any sense.

I hope it's not vital as I already changed the tyre twice as I put it back on the wrong way round the first time!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The Valve is the weak spot of the tube, it does not need to fit flush in the rim but must be able to flex without ripping the stem out of the rubber.

·
White van man
560 Posts
I would'nt worry too much. Not all makes of tubes have the same arrangement.
The way you have it fitted should be fine, as long as it's lined up OK.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks chaps, planning to change the front disc soon so I'll leave it until then and have a look when the wheel's off.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts