Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to do an oil change and just need some advice on which oil to use ?

The manual says it should be 10W 30 but the guy in the shop said no you are better using 10W 40, so my question is that ok for the TA700 ?

He also recommended a Honda oil filter to keep it correct for the warranty so I assume he is correct on that as well ?

Cheers

·
Registered
417 Posts
I use 10w 40 semi synth oil (Millers) and i use Filtrex filters. Half the price of "Honda" ones dont know how they can possibly be Honda since they dont make oil filters but hey ho.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Del, It has Honda on the oil filter box but will check it more closely.
Just need to work out how to do the oil change now . I bought a wee chain type tool to remove the old filter so should be ok. One question though is there an exact amount of oil that should go in or is it just keep checking via the dipstick ? Sorry to anybody out there reading this thinking a 4 year old kid could do an oil change. Ive never owned a bike before and always have company cars so no need to do any servicing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The oil debate will last forever. Semi synth 10w40 seems to be recommended, I'm running 10w40 fully synth diesel and the bike feels good. Whatever you run, change it frequently. I use hiflo filters personally, cheap and pretty good (I hacksawed a used one in half and they have a decent amount of filtering material) and change them every oil change.

edit: Capacity of the alp 650 is about 2.4 litres, my haynes doesnt have the 700. I go to a bit under, run the engine for a few seconds, fill to halfway on the dipstick then go for a proper run and check it's between half and two thirds full.

edit2: 10w 30 oil is more viscous at a given operating temperature than 10w40 but has a lower maximum operating temperature. 10w 30 will give slightly better protection but won't tolerate overheating so well. (I think.. correct me if I'm wrong)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 700 and always go with the manual, which as you say specifies 10W-30 oil. I think we should assume the makers know best about their own bikes on this matter so I wouldn't take anybody else's advice on it. Although I doubt any harm would come from using 10W-40, why deviate from the official line if you don't have to?

On the filter, the book actually says to use a genuine Honda part or "...a filter of equivalent quality specified for your model." Therefore the warranty is not voided by using an alternative provided it is expressly stated to be for this bike.

As was said, Honda don't make filters so what they do here and for many other parts and accessories is to rebadge some common brand as their own - and charge much more for it. Same with the oil where they say to use "Honda 4 stroke motorcycle oil or equivalent." Not just Honda by the way, they all do it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm confused here 10w-40 diesel? Surely that's for a car etc with very aggressive detergents and friction modifiers that provoke clutch slip with a wet clutch or does the Alp have a dry clutch? Didn't think so. All recent Honda manuals recommend the correct oil according to the ambient operating temperatures and API specs. Personally, and I emphasize personally, I would always use semi synthetic. Fully synthetic can make bearings skid rather than rotate. The oil thing will go on and on no doubt.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I am about to do an oil change and just need some advice on which oil to use ?

The manual says it should be 10W 30 but the guy in the shop said no you are better using 10W 40, so my question is that ok for the TA700 ?

No he's not right ---- bet if it was'nt a bike shop he did'nt have any 10/30 hey?

Motorcycle Info and Accessories
Below is an extract from a sub heading (all about oil) from the site above ---- some good reading
One way to judge the VII content of your oil is to read the VI, the Viscosity Index, at the manufacturer's web page. The base oils all have similar VIs to start with, so generally speaking, the higher the VI in the blended oil, the more VIIs are present, and the less suitable the oil is for motorcycle usage. John Evans did just such a survey of Valvoline, Chevron, Exxon, Quaker State, Citgo, and Conoco oils. He found that the 5w-30 oils all had VI's in the range of 158-162; the 5w-20 oils had VIs of 148-154; the 10w-40 oils had VIs of 147 to 150; 10w-30 oils had VIs of 134 to 139; and 20w-50 oils had VIs of 120 to 125.

Most people seem to use a 10/40, maybe because thats whats available in a car oil I use a 10/40 semi synthetic diesel oil, think if you want a 10/30 in a good oil you have to go with a bike specific oil which will be alot dearer

(Quote)
He also recommended a Honda oil filter to keep it correct for the warranty so I assume he is correct on that as well ?

Think if you had a problem under warranty which involved oil filtration they would have to prove any after market filter was at fault, but I suppose for the few extra quid untill the warranty runs out its worthwhile to buy Honda. --- Chris

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
use what the manual recommends and buy a jug in the pound shop to measure and pour,if it says 4 litres on a change with filter and 3.75 with just a change then so be it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have never ever used bike specific oil. I took some advice from the technical director ar Miller oils and he said that the oil i was thinking of buying for the bike 10w40 semi synth was perfect for my bike. Bonus was it was half the price of bike oil. Clutch slip will never be a problem unless you use your bike o a track and thrash the arse out of it for a couple of hours so i wouldnt worry about it. I know someone how has a turbo charged GSXR 1000 and he uses 15w 40 GM oil and has never had a problem. Neither have i, but you pays your money so its your choice.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Bottom line is that oil is cheaper than metal, and not running any risk with clutch slip is worth the little extra for 'bike specific' oil. One of my friends can have as much 10w-40 as he wants for free so he put some in his Kwak Z650 guess what clutch slip, usually when overtaking! His predecessor had a VFR 750, you guessed it, same oil clutch slip. That was Morris fleet oil (one size fits all) but definitely not for bikes. I rekon £20 for an oil change is not too bad a price to pay when the result could well be engine damage. Each to his own.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I always buy my oil from Opie oil and my filters from David Silvers.
The cost is unimportant if it ensures the bike runs correctly.
If you use the wrong oil and filters and the engine goes wrong the cost will be a lot higher.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
I'm with Stumpyfingers on the Opie oil front (get your discount) and filters from Flebay.
As well as the well documented timely oil change (recommended miles, or if you don't do too many miles just change it every 9mths to a year.)
And for the few quid a filter costs I'd change it with every oil change
FYI 10-40 semi and no issues.
Just my 2pence worth:thumb:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I agree with previous comments that ideally you should go with whatever grade Honda recommends, although using semi-synth 10W/40 would not make any noticeable difference. The 40 represents the operating temperature range of the oil, but in reality, this is unlikely to be of concern in our temperate climate or if riding normally.

The most important thing with oil is to change it - and the filter - regularly. It is the single most important maintenance activity you can carry out yourself. Provided you do this, you could probably run the thing on cheap Halfords stuff with no detrimental effects.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sorry guys but I just do not get this at all. You buy a bike for a lot of dosh then seem to want to compromise on the oil. Why don't we all just go to Tesco and buy theirs? If you look at it logically you have to buy oil anyway (won't run without) so all this carping is about the difference in price between cheap oil and a good oil. It's that difference that offers security, shall we say a tenner or less. There are two or three threads about oil going at the moment, is it worth it. A tin of dog food is cheaper than a meat pie but I know what I would rather have in my belly!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Guys...It's not a matter of compromise, for me anyway it's not being taken in by the hype and dare I say bull s..t which has been going on for as long as I can remember and not getting ripped off. If I thought for a second I was doing any harm to my bikes I assure you I wouldn't do it.
I probably spend as much on oil as if I was using the "proper bike stuff" as I change it so often...but in the end we all do our own thing.:thumbright:

Cheers
Potski

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It really all comes down to choice.
If you want to save money on oil then go for the cheap stuff, you may need to change it more often.
It should be suitable for motorcycles.
I buy mine from Opie Oils and the last lot I bought was 8 litres on offer.
I am not sure how the introduction of water cooling has helped but on air cooled engines the oil never lasted very long as it lost its properties fairly quick.
"The buck stops here" is a phrase that comes to mind.
It will stop with your choice, regardless of what we think and do your bike is yours to do with as you please.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Mmmm, bit of a Hornets nest been stirred up here ha ha All good stuff !!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all for the advice again guys invaluable as usual. A couple of points to answer. The cost of the oil and filter never came in to it for me and I am changing the oil and filter at two and a half thousand miles (last one was at 600 miles). I also went to a motorbike shop in Hamilton, Scotland that was recommended and the oil i bought says motorbike specific on it so hopefully i'm doing the right thing.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Thanks to all for the advice again guys invaluable as usual. A couple of points to answer. The cost of the oil and filter never came in to it for me and I am changing the oil and filter at two and a half thousand miles (last one was at 600 miles). I also went to a motorbike shop in Hamilton, Scotland that was recommended and the oil i bought says motorbike specific on it so hopefully i'm doing the right thing.
Sounds like you are on to a winner.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts