Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

The bike i am looking at buying has a bit of corrosion on the front of the fork legs!

my plan was to treat it with something to stop the corrosion and then hammerite it with the smooth stuff!

will this keep the rot at bay or are fork legs gonners once they start to go??

thanks for any info

Z

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
By fork legs do you mean the sliders (the aluminium bits that the brake calipers, mudguard and wheel all bolt to) or the stantions (the chrome bits under the fork gaiters)?

If it's the sliders, then try getting some aluminium wheel paint from your local car accessory shop - it has to be for ally wheels, not steel ones though. It's really tough stuff. Just follow the instructions on the can. Oh, and rub the corrossion off your sliders down with wet and dry (used wet, with water) going down the grades to, say, a 600 or 800).

If it's the stantions - any significant pitting and they need to be replaced or the originals hard chromed...although I did do the classic 'temporary' repair with araldite once. :wink:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
I've read that the BMW guys use silver smoothrite so once you've cleaned them up then this has to be a cheap option.
I guess you're not going to find any decent one's at a breaker either.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
smoothright is very good for this also plasticoat metal protect is very good as well :D

the trick is to take the time to pop off the forks and give the sliders a real good rub down to get rid of the corrosion otherwise it will just come back :(

the good thing about smoothright is it dosnt require a primer 8) ive used both of the abouve on several different bikes down the years and they always gave good long lasting effects :D

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Chad said:
smoothright is very good for this also plasticoat metal protect is very good as well :D

the trick is to take the time to pop off the forks and give the sliders a real good rub down to get rid of the corrosion otherwise it will just come back :(

the good thing about smoothright is it dosnt require a primer 8) ive used both of the abouve on several different bikes down the years and they always gave good long lasting effects :D
Or you could just powdercoat everything black :wink: :wink:

-Simon

·
17,680 Posts
Slimie said:
Chad said:

Or you could just powdercoat everything black :wink: :wink:

-Simon
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: bugger im found out :shock:

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
I painted my fork legs black on my dommie - gave them a vigorous rub with some wire wool first, then wet and dry used wet then a really good wash and dry - then 2 coats of black smoothrite and jobs a goodun :D

Theyre hidden by the plastic fork covers anyway.

I did ask about having my @ fork legs powdercoated, but seems a lot of hassle - theyve got to be completely stripped down - which knowing my luck would mean new seals and stuff throughout, + would need numerous washes before re-building, as there would be grit and powder inside them after powdercoating, which if left would bugger up the seals and stuff in no time . So will be easier and cheaper to paint.

·
17,680 Posts
anton88 said:
I painted my fork legs black on my dommie - gave them a vigorous rub with some wire wool first, then wet and dry used wet then a really good wash and dry - then 2 coats of black smoothrite and jobs a goodun :D

Theyre hidden by the plastic fork covers anyway.

I did ask about having my @ fork legs powdercoated, but seems a lot of hassle - theyve got to be completely stripped down - which knowing my luck would mean new seals and stuff throughout, + would need numerous washes before re-building, as there would be grit and powder inside them after powdercoating, which if left would bugger up the seals and stuff in no time . So will be easier and cheaper to paint.
aye paintings the way to go on forks :D

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
just got a set of forks for the SLR (bought as project) from Rivington barn bikes for £99 immaculate just need a bit of paint on the lowers, New stanchions are available for about £75-£80 each though, by the time you add seals delivery etc will set you back about £170-£200
Merv

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
should have said - it's the sliders!

thanks for the tips guys - think i'm gonna have some fun over winter getting new bike - making it look pretty and then Chad will reveal project black pearl and mine will look crap anyway!! :( :lol:

thanks again for the tips - now, where did i put them paint brushes?? :D

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
I thought Hammerite did require primer on alloy..?

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
your right, according to the info on the side of a tin of Smoothrite...

"Aluminium / Galvanised / all other non-Ferrous Metal Surfaces: ....use Hammerite special Metals Primer"

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
I said:
I should have added:

Unless you never keep a bike for more than 6 weeks. Eh Chad? :wink:

·
17,680 Posts
icenian said:
I said:
I should have added:

Unless you never keep a bike for more than 6 weeks. Eh Chad? :wink:
:mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: never found it a problem but then ive always made sure there was absolutely clean metal before applying any paint :D

you do me wrong sir its at least 6weeks 12hours 10mins and 32seconds :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts