Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plead Guilty, M'lud. My "adventure" bike is pretty damn good for crossing Europe, but it's too big and too heavy for real adventure riding in the under-developed world. The locals there ride their little 125s (and smaller) with road tyres through cloying mud, rivers and all the rest, maybe with a passenger or three on board. Stuff that would bring a 1000+ cc bike to a halt, they just breeze through.

But what else is available to us? Many small dual-sport bikes have no facilities for luggage. The Tenere and Sertao come close. Anything else?

I wonder if this will work:
CCM

Panniers, rally raid bodywork, larger fuel tanks all promised. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
I like the concept a lot but it's way too expensive and that big exhaust doesn't look to be soft luggage friendly. Price it around £5k and i would buy one.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
It looks very nice, but considering you could buy a fully kitted 660 Tenere for the same sort of money I would go for the Tenere

Your correct that there is not a great deal of mid-size options like the CCM?

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
518 Posts
I think if I were doing a proper third world type of 'adventure' ride, the CRF250L would appeal - light, cheap, and honda reliability.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the Honda CRF250L - it has a lot going for it - but it doesn't seem to have luggage or space to add luggage. And that fuel tank!

I think many would be put off by the small engine. You have to do motorways and fast roads some times!

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
518 Posts
It's reputed to get around 90mpg so that's around 150 miles to a tank! But, I would take a spare can of fuel (or fit a bigger tank, if available). As for luggage, I'm sure a bespoke pannier frame could be knocked-up fairly cheaply? And re. the small engine, compared to Simon Gandophi's Honda 125 (which has traversed south & central America twice), it' s a monster! You know, one of the best bike trips I've had was many years ago, across Europe, when places such as Spain were almost third world - the bike I had was a Suzuki 250 and it coped admirably! I do agree that many would probably be put off by the 'small' engine but it's their loss!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
(But I agree about the attractiveness of Honda reliability!)

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
That little DR350 sounds about right for a light solo go-anywhere fast enough on any road or lack thereof bike that can be fixed with hammers if the need arises.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Luggage, people, luggage! Where will panniers etc. go? :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, perfection!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
... if it were still in production.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also pretty damn good, but I can't find it on Yamaha UK's list of products. Is it out of production? Or was it.only ever for Brazil? Or what?

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
518 Posts
Now ThAT catches my eye :D ... What is the seat height? Engine size? Where can I get one..:D:D

:sunny:
865mm seat height (as a comparison, the Africa Twin is 860mm)!
Engine is 250cc.
And I guess you can get one in downtown Rio!

·
Ex seagoing truck driver
357 Posts
I think the 250 Tenere is possibly only for the Japanese market but there are people who do grey imports and spares are available pretty easily via the internet.
I have 2 carb 250s, one for lightweight touring and the other for laning. I also have a 650TA but being a shortarse I'm on tippytoes a bit with that.
The XT225 and 250 are the bike of choice for many shorter riders including lassies, and there are plenty around in the UK if you keep an eye open.
My road bike is a 56 plate and my laner is a 57.
There is a very active and enthusiastic international owners forum at XT225/250 Rider's Group which covers both models and there will be a whole mess of us gathering at HUBB if anyone wants to come and say Hello.
This is my current stable plus the TA, so I'm a bit spoiled for choice really.
PB030001.jpg PB030011.jpg

I chose the Serow specifically for it's seat height and it's a heavyish bike by the standards of the 2strokes of today, but it's a lightweight compared with DRs and XRs etc, it's a little bike with the heart of a lion. I'm the first to admit I'm a bit of a lardy and my laner has performed fantastically so far down here in Devon (with the right tyres) and the road bike has been well loaded with kit.
Here's an attendee at HUBB 2011 who apparently weighs in at nearly 17stone, before you add his camping kit, so you can see what a workhorse the little Serow is.

Can you tell I'm an enthusiast?:blob4:

·
Ex seagoing truck driver
357 Posts
BTW I think the seat height shown for the 250 Tenere may be wrong unless they jacked that model up a lot.
I have a 30inch inside leg and I can double flatfoot my 250s OK.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But my mate's has 1200 cc so mine has have 1200 cc! :D ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts