Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody. I'm just wondering if this level of wear is normal in a 2003 XL650V Transalp? It has nearly 76,000km on the clock, (second time around) and another 4,500km that went unrecorded when the speedo drive broke 1500km into a 6000km trip.
I'm changing the chain and sprockets for the sixth time according to my records. I thought it had been 8 already but the heavy duty chains seem to last much more than the 15-25,000km I'd expected from a regular o or x ring chain. This chain and sprockets were fitted at (1)36,527km and the current reading is (1)75962km, or 39,400km, which is great in my books.
I've included a few different shots of the shaft and one of the old and new sprockets. Being the original owner I know only the first 2 sprockets were genuine (no after market front sprockets were available in June '06 when I replaced the first set so I had to buy genuine).
I'd best get on with cleaning it up and fitting the new bits as I worked a 3.30am shift today and I'm a bit tired.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the original securing plate, it also is showing signs of wear. I bought this bike new, superseded, in September '04, and it was my only ride until September '10. Since then it has shared spaced with a number of other bikes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Old and new rear sprockets

Chain and sprocket packaging.

They'll be a welcome change from the old sweet. I'd haves changed them before Christmas but I offered the biker on loan to a work mate on the proviso that he serviced it and replaced these.
He and his missus bought a house and haves been a bit preoccupied with that.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jackfllash I think you were meant to change sprocket retaining plate as well when changing sprockets....
Probably, it's the original and that is a bit over 180,000km (112,500mi) worth of wear. I may reverse it, no wear on the other side, before I ride it tomorrow.
The old chain is a bit longer than the new one.
Regarding the getting rust, it had that every change.

This pay was intended to demonstrate the lack of wear this shaft suffers it chain tension is correct. I don't for a minute imagine that my 2003 XL650V Transalp has a special output/ countershaft, when compared to all those 600, 650 and 700 Transalps out there. The difference is that I've been it's sole owner and I've ensured that the chain tension has always been on the loose side.

Yes there is some minor wear, but after nearly 16years and over 180,000km I'd be suspicious if there was none.

As for the Molly-b-dern grease, I'll give that serious consideration, it isn't getting any younger.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Probably, it's the original and that is a bit over 180,000km (112,500mi) worth of wear. I may reverse it, no wear on the other side, before I ride it tomorrow.
The old chain is a bit longer than the new one.
Regarding the getting rust, it had that every change.

This pay was intended to demonstrate the lack of wear this shaft suffers it chain tension is correct. I don't for a minute imagine that my 2003 XL650V Transalp has a special output/ countershaft, when compared to all those 600, 650 and 700 Transalps out there. The difference is that I've been it's sole owner and I've ensured that the chain tension has always been on the loose side.

Yes there is some minor wear, but after nearly 16years and over 180,000km I'd be suspicious if there was none.

As for the Molly-b-dern grease, I'll give that serious consideration, it isn't getting any younger.

It wont hurt to put it on there, when i get round to it i will be putting it on my CRF1000L as well as all the other bikes and see how it goes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts