Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to chimay classic races in june and liked the atmos, so we thought we would make a longer piss up (trip) of it and go down to magny-cours for the coupes moto legende this coming may.

has anyone been?(someone on this forum mustve been?)
if you're camping, do you just turn up and pay for a pitch like most french do's or is it better in advance?
whats camping facilities/prices like?
there's always some knob with a fireblade engine in a wheelbarrow outside your tent at 3 in the morning, is it okay to stab him?

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
I thought the moto legendes was at the prenois circuit near Dijon?

Magny court is about an hour & a half from me & I can tell you it's sh*te.

There is NO covered area (seating or otherwise) so when I went to the classic Bol d'Or 3 years ago when it was 40+°c in the shade... there is no shade! When I went to the Bol D'Or 2 years ago & we had freezing rain & hail... there was no shelter.

The infrastructure is very very poor, at a big do like the Bol, the toilets are knee deep in it by the end of the firs day & stay like that for the rest of the (4 day) week end, the on site food & drink is scandalously expensive & the security is a farce.

Looking for some security at 4am the monday after the bol cos some twonk was in the process of riding his mad max machine up & down a line of inhabited tents, we discovered that not only was there no security but that the exit's were padlocked shut!

I'm going to stop now because I'm starting to shout & I'll wake the children.

calmly... I would compare the facilities at Magny cours to those of a small english clubmans track like Cadwell park or Snetterton (where you don't have to mortgage the house to pay for a ticket)

·
luddite
1,814 Posts

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
excellent, cheers Moon.

it was at magny cours recently? or where did we get that from then? hmmm

anyway.....

is that the prenois near val-suzon on the N71?

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
it was at magny cours recently? or where did we get that from then? hmmm

anyway.....

is that the prenois near val-suzon on the N71?

Nope, never been at Magny cours, probably confused with the "Bol D'or classique".

the circuit at prenois is about 2k south of the village of prenois which is effectively near Val suzon, just off the N71.

according to my sources :D, it's best to reserve in advance. entrabce is free for bikes built pre 1964...

there's not a lot on site, just a camp ground, 6 showers (usually cold!) & the usual kebab / hot dog vans at outrageous prices.

Dijon however, is not far at all (5 or 6 k) with fully equipped camp sites & hotels for all budgets with restaurants ranging from macdonalds to "la Cloche" (2nd mortgage on the wife just for the cheese course...long story...)

Let me know if you'se going, I'll try & get out so's you can buy me a beer ;)

update...

20€ to get in & i'm told the "exterior" campsite is free. for the "inside" campsite I think you're supposed to be entered in the races, though I've heard that getting there really early sometimes helps...

the guy feeding me this info has asked for a link to this site, so he may butt in here...

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info Moon, we are (4-6 of us) planning on going thurs to tues ish, have a bimble down there, camp for fri sat sun nights at the circuit, have a couple days riding round the local scenery.
we're not bothered about inside or outside camping, as long as there is somewhere, and food wise, a supermarket would do. its bank holiday weekend isnt it, same as UK? noticed france tends to close on sundays and bank hols, so stocking up on essential supplies is a must.
petrol
beer
bread
you are welcome to a beer mate, be glad to see you

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
thanks for the info Moon, we are (4-6 of us) planning on going thurs to tues ish, have a bimble down there, camp for fri sat sun nights at the circuit, have a couple days riding round the local scenery.
we're not bothered about inside or outside camping, as long as there is somewhere, and food wise, a supermarket would do. its bank holiday weekend isnt it, same as UK? noticed france tends to close on sundays and bank hols, so stocking up on essential supplies is a must.
petrol
beer
bread
you are welcome to a beer mate, be glad to see you

don't think it's bank holiday here (we'll already have had 1st may, 8th may & 12 may!) but worth noting that most of rural france is closed on MONDAYS anyway. Round Dijon, the supermarkets will be open, though probably not on sunday (big debate about sunday opening at the moment). You need to be careful about petrol on a bike on sunday & monday cos most of the manned petrol stations will be closed & the automatic pumps won't take foreign cards...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts