Honda XRV Forum banner
21K views 33 replies 6 participants last post by  Llewsub 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new on this forum and looking for info on replacing front forks from my domi by usd cr500/crf450.... Someone who has experience with this? All info welcome since this is my first "re-build" project. Thx!!

#2 ·
Will work but you need the triple clamps. Shaft on clamps needs to be machined to accept smaller roller bearings. not a tough job but pointless if you don't find a good set for pennies as they are expensive. If you are doing the rebuild for a road going NX650 and want upside downs, look into a set from a late model superbike as the MX ones are long :)

#4 ·
I put CRF forks on my Dommie and apart from the wheel spindle and bearing issue ,I thought they looked a bit on the long side.
I had to press the steering stem out and have it turned down to fit the taper roller bearings.
I ended selling them on as I didnt think the bearings would be safe..

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive tire

#5 ·
I put CRF forks on my Dommie and apart from the wheel spindle and bearing issue ,I thought they looked a bit on the long side.
I had to press the steering stem out and have it turned down to fit the taper roller bearings.
I ended selling them on as I didnt think the bearings would be safe..

View attachment 88673
Waaw this looks great !! Are these the cr forks?
Did you find an alternative for the cr forks?
Thx!:thumbup:

#7 · (Edited)
Yes it must become a street scrambler but i like the view of a big fat upside down fork so that is why i am interested in a cr or crf usd fork but like you said i need to check the dimensions.... Maybe an fmx650 usd is also a possibility.... I dont know.....
I intend to put a 19" front wheel instead of 21"

#8 · (Edited)
I put a 19 inch front wheel on mine coz it was still too tall for me being a bit of a short arse in the leg department.
I couldnt see how you could turn down the spindle because its threaded into the fork leg.
It got too complicated for me and I know my way around a lathe.
You would be much better sticking with the FMX front end because it has been done with success but the CRF forks havnt.. IMHO :thumbup:
You cant drop the CRF forks through the yokes because they are thicker in the middle than at the top and there was also an issue with finding the correct front brake mounting bracket and disc.
I tried it because I wanted to build the coolest scrambler ever and I dont mind admitting I failed in the USD department.

Gun Vehicle Metal

If you look carefully on the LH fork leg ,(sitting on bike) The spindle is threaded into the fork leg where as the dommie is clamped on.
If you turn down the spindle to accomodate roller wheel bearings then you will turn off the spindle thread.
I ended up sticking with standard forks and I will be posting pictures of my almost finished project tomorrow when my son gets here with his camera:thumbup:

#12 ·
I put a 19 inch front wheel on mine coz it was still too tall for me being a bit of a short arse in the leg department.
I couldnt see how you could turn down the spindle because its threaded into the fork leg.
It got too complicated for me and I know my way around a lathe.
You would be much better sticking with the FMX front end because it has been done with success but the CRF forks havnt.. IMHO :thumbup:
You cant drop the CRF forks through the yokes because they are thicker in the middle than at the top and there was also an issue with finding the correct front brake mounting bracket and disc.
I tried it because I wanted to build the coolest scrambler ever and I dont mind admitting I failed in the USD department.

View attachment 88721

If you look carefully on the LH fork leg ,(sitting on bike) The spindle is threaded into the fork leg where as the dommie is clamped on.
If you turn down the spindle to accomodate roller wheel bearings then you will turn off the spindle thread.
I ended up sticking with standard forks and I will be posting pictures of my almost finished project tomorrow when my son gets here with his camera:thumbup:

Great!!! Thx

#11 ·
This was the picture I found that made me want USD,s on my Dommie but I made a mistake getting CRF450 forks , I just didnt like that plastic rear end..
It never crossed my mind that FMX forks would fit.
Who knows, might have another stab at it now that I learned from my mistake..:D:D:D

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

How much do FMX forks go for , I cant seem to find any on ebay.

#17 ·
All you need is a bit of imagination ,a healthy bank balance and to know your way around a toolbox:thumbup:
This took me two years and I loved every minute of it....I wish you luck with your project and have fun doing it.
If you need any advice ,all you have to do is ask.:D:D:D

Thanks for your feedback & advice....i am sure i will have lots of questions.....
& if i need some "experienced" advice i will contact you

Thx!!!

#19 ·
Hey....very nice with these forks....
I checked and the diameter of the bearings from the headstock are identical for an SLR &domi....I suppose it will fit then.
Can you tell me if the lenght of the forks is the same for the SLR and the FMX or is the Fmx longer if you measure from top to ax front wheel?

Thx!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.