Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lads

Cannot get VHT (Very High Temp) paint here . Got simmonz Silver but nothing like the crank case cover color. I have seen VHT in burnt copper on the web but cannot find a supplier here in IRL.

Question any one used hammerhead smooth finish gold or other car aerosol on the crank cases ?

Also if any ones got a contact or supplier that they could put me in contact with Id be grateful. Crank Case color .

Or if some one has any I will purchase and pay postage and a drink.

Ive been searching in the forum and its a last resort putting up the new thread.

Progress is no where near mike at the moment . Dropped a couple of hundred euro with wemoto for spares the other day so waiting for them to materialize.

:happy6:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi, I've used Hammerite Smooth Silver in an aerosol on about half a dozen engines and as long as its only being used on the cases there's been no problems. I've ridden in winter on salty roads with no signs of paint lifting and also run it at about 3000 revs in the garage until the fan cut in, by which time the cases were as hot as they are ever likely to get, and again everything was fine. I would think the cases on an AT never get above 150C anyway unless you're crossing the Sahara mid-summer, as its very softly tuned and well cooled with both rads and oil cooler.

Another one is Simoniz Aluminium Engine Enamel, again an aerosol. It's designed specifically for engine blocks and cylinder heads, so should have no problem dealing with the temperatures.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I've used Hammerite Smooth Silver in an aerosol on about half a dozen engines and as long as its only being used on the cases there's been no problems. I've ridden in winter on salty roads with no signs of paint lifting and also run it at about 3000 revs in the garage until the fan cut in, by which time the cases were as hot as they are ever likely to get, and again everything was fine. I would think the cases on an AT never get above 150C anyway unless you're crossing the Sahara mid-summer, as its very softly tuned and well cooled with both rads and oil cooler.

Another one is Simoniz Aluminium Engine Enamel, again an aerosol. It's designed specifically for engine blocks and cylinder heads, so should have no problem dealing with the temperatures.

Sully

I really like what you did with your AT engine - Polishing the cases and the small touch of gold which looked more like anodizing.

Thanks for the feed back on the paint . Would you post a pic or three of the bike finished.

Jonny:thumbup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Jonny

3 pics attached, the first is the latest, just finished and goes for its MOT Monday. It's a 2001, only done 1730 miles from new but stored for 8 years and except for engine, needed a complete rebuild. It's missing decals on the tank and for this model Honda don't sell them seperately, they'll only sell you a complete tank with them on, for £700+. I'm keeping this one.

The second is three I refurbished late last year, all now sold. The one with the polished engine is the Red White Blue. The other pic is just to prove you don't need an AT to go off road, it's a Yamaha Bulldog which I took to Timbuktu and back. It never missed a beat.

Chris

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jonny

3 pics attached, the first is the latest, just finished and goes for its MOT Monday. It's a 2001, only done 1730 miles from new but stored for 8 years and except for engine, needed a complete rebuild. It's missing decals on the tank and for this model Honda don't sell them seperately, they'll only sell you a complete tank with them on, for £700+. I'm keeping this one.

The second is three I refurbished late last year, all now sold. The one with the polished engine is the Red White Blue. The other pic is just to prove you don't need an AT to go off road, it's a Yamaha Bulldog which I took to Timbuktu and back. It never missed a beat.

Chris

Chris

Did you spray the swing arm in pic no 1 or was it mint when you got it?

Jonny

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Jonny

It's missing decals on the tank and for this model Honda don't sell them seperately, they'll only sell you a complete tank with them on, for £700+. I'm keeping this one.

Chris
Would decals off a 2000 black @ fit the tank?
If they do, and they are not available anywhere I may be able to produce some for people.

Interested?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi
Yes, if its the Y model, 2000 on, I'd definitely be interested in a set. They're particularly difficult to copy as they gently fade away from solid gold to practically nothing at the back of the tank. Presumably once you've got the design sorted you could also produce them in white for the Red White Blue colour scheme Y model?
Chris

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi
Yes, if its the Y model, 2000 on, I'd definitely be interested in a set. They're particularly difficult to copy as they gently fade away from solid gold to practically nothing at the back of the tank. Presumably once you've got the design sorted you could also produce them in white for the Red White Blue colour scheme Y model?
Chris
ok i will check to see if my 2000 @ is a Y model, if it is then i will get producing the tank decals, i could probably print them onto clear vinyl so the gold fades to clear vinyl:D (i have a graphics business).... and yes then i could produce them in any colour needed:thumbright:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts