Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been up this road before on the NX forum, but I couldn't find any tips in our search facility. The previous owner had a real go at unscrewing the Aluminium cap on the Tranny (doesn't matter which bike here ...) and had botched the socket where the 10mm unbrako fits. Bought a new tool but nothings moving. Are there any secrets on how to get the cap out. There's an O-ring in there, but I thought that would have made life easier ! Thanks in advance :notworthy:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
There was a wrecked one at the working bee group in November. I got it open with a punch and hammer. First I tapped the point of the centre punch to make a gouge in the outer part of the cover. The I hammered a flat punch against the edge of the gouge and it came undone on the first or second strike of the hammer. It just gives more leverage than using an allen key.

Replace the cover with a new one, they aren't too dear. I only do mine up using the short arm of an allen key in the cover so they are never too tight.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorted ! ... That sucker was very cosy in his hole and didn't want to play ball. Used a slight variation to your initial punch .... a 3.5mm drill bit. It took about 10 good wacks to get it moving. The new one is now in place ... Yen Powell strikes again :thumb:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I am bringing mine round to you to undo. ;) It's been stuck for nearly 5 years. I have a go from time to time with punches, chisels, old screw drivers, and stuff as well as drowning it in every type of releasing oil I can find. It is now totally mangled and has never budged a millimetre. I think I might have another go after weekend.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just finished our club meeting www.moonshine-mc.webs.com and mentioned the problem to our mekkie. He advised taking the bike for a run then using an icing spray direct on the cap before wacking it, as aluminium expands and contracts 3x quicker than cast .... apparently ! Good luck mate ... I reckon you'll do it this time ... :thumbup:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Sorted ! ... That sucker was very cosy in his hole and didn't want to play ball. Used a slight variation to your initial punch .... a 3.5mm drill bit. It took about 10 good wacks to get it moving. The new one is now in place ... Yen Powell strikes again :thumb:
I copied someone else I saw do it years ago:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts