Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Tuesday I locked the front wheel of my Pan and fell off. Only a sore knee, elbow, a replaceable wing cover gone and a mirror so all is well but it got me thinking. If I had been going a bit quicker I could easily have written the bike off and if it had been a new R1200RT it would have cost thousands.

Bikes are inherently unstable (don't argue - when they stop they fall over unless you hold them up) so they hit the ground often. I can quite understand that manufacturers make money out of crash repairs but nevertheless I am amazed that none of them appears to have tried to make a bike that can skid along the road at say 20mph without self-destructing.

Is it possible? How would you do it?

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Yes they have one it's called a sports car! Ha ha seriously I suppose the best you will get is s bike with crash bars fitted and protectors for the levers.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I am amazed that none of them appears to have tried to make a bike that can skid along the road at say 20mph without self-destructing.

Why not screw a set of castor wheels to your crashbars, then when it goes down it will roll on the wheels:thumbright::thumbright:

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
On Tuesday I locked the front wheel of my Pan and fell off. Only a sore knee, elbow, a replaceable wing cover gone and a mirror so all is well but it got me thinking. If I had been going a bit quicker I could easily have written the bike off and if it had been a new R1200RT it would have cost thousands.

Bikes are inherently unstable (don't argue - when they stop they fall over unless you hold them up) so they hit the ground often. I can quite understand that manufacturers make money out of crash repairs but nevertheless I am amazed that none of them appears to have tried to make a bike that can skid along the road at say 20mph without self-destructing.

Hi Phil
sorry to hear of your mishap mate , when i was riding about on me old 'teapot' i was forever dropping it at low speeds once it even crept off it's own sidestand and crunched over... it cost me a small fortune in mirrors....busters were delighted.

but i think it's a bit like the leathers, I read somewhere that putting studs in bike leathers was unwise as it caused the rider to slide much faster down the street after coming off and would collide more abruptly with something solid... it was considered far safer if the clothing put the brakes on and slowed the rider down and leathers seem to do that but unfortunately they cop the damage...

if they designed an intricate array of crash bars which were indestructible in impact that surrounded the bike then if it ever became riderless it would be unable to absorb energy and carry on hurtling down the street til it hit something be it another motorist, a pedestrian or a living room window.
the biking community would get even worse press if out of control machines were harming bystanders as well as the riders themselves (and look how far they managed to push 'passive smoking')
I dont know if manufacturers do it deliberately but usually the bike plastics scrape along the ground and slow the bike from sliding as far as it otherwise would i think......

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Glad you are unhurt.
The idea of stabiliser wheels has been thought of, they use them on Gold Wings in America. They are still in the process of working out the logistics for an anchor to be deployed if the rider falls off.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Surely that would need a chair on the right of the bike to be crash proof,

The disabled bikers association will put hydraulic/ pneumatic stabilizers on your bike if required. They attached to the swingarm and when you go above 30mph they rise upto the swing arm in the same way your sidestand rises up out the way.. When you go below they come back down and can move forwards and backwards to allow for the angle of lean on the bike

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But why not think beyond current design?

Renault have made reformable plastic front wings for 20 years so why are bike plastics rigid?

There are scratch-proof finishes in a variety of applications: why not on motorbikes?

And why aren't bungs designed into bikes from the outset?

Why aren't we demanding such things?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
But why not think beyond current design?

Renault have made reformable plastic front wings for 20 years so why are bike plastics rigid?There are they are on the XR style bikes

There are scratch-proof finishes in a variety of applications: why not on motorbikes?costs too much money for a toy.

And why aren't bungs designed into bikes from the outset?Because the spare parts industry would disappear

Why aren't we demanding such things?What is this then?
Too much money in after market spares.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts