Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, finally had my first big off. Thought the forum might be interested,

In heavy traffic in Dundee, following a RAV4 too closely I reckon at about 30mph, in pretty heavy rain. Look left at a broken down car. At that moment, the RAV4 brakes suddenly due to a car having broken down ahead of IT! I look back just in time to see bright red lights and think "****"!

Then it gets a bit fuzzy, and the next thing I know is I'm on the deck, with my face in the gutter on the right hand side of the RAV4. Here's what I think happened. I slam on the brakes, and try to haul the bike to the right side of the RAV4. The front wheel goes down, and I go over the front to batter my shoulder off the back of the jeep (I think)before i go down. The bike slides on the crash bars a little bit on it's right hand side before crunching into the back. The left crash bars and the handlebars take the brunt of the back bumper, and get all bent back.

So, I'm quickly up and limping about, cursing. The RAV4 guy wants to be off, there seems to be little damage and he says he needs to get a ferry. I'm left with an unridable bike, the handlebars' bent back, the front is bent back, the bash plate is knocked askew and the crash bar is buckled. I think the front forks are knakered too.

I get the bike off the road, and then have no idea what to do. I'm practically 40miles from either my start or my destination. Then two bikers appear. They're the Scotriders instructors from Dundee, and they are STARS! They help calm me down, then offer to take the bike down to their garage, and get their mechanic mate to come and have a look at the bike, see if it can be made rideable.

They bring out their trailer, and at the garage they set to with a crowbar and some major skills. After 40mins the bike is looking back to normal. The handlebars are pretty much normal, the busted crashbar is off, the front has been bent back and the bike is rideable. Thankfully, the forks weren't damaged. oh yeah, and i've been fed and watered!

So, I get to ride off again. Amazing, and I was so lucky to have been looked after so well. You hear about the kindness of strangers, but really, these guys were incredible. Anyone needing to do any bike testing etc, I'd recommend Scotriders.

There has been some damage to the bike though. So I've got a couple of questions.

The bike seems to be backfiring more now. Any ideas what could be causing that. It always was running a bit rich, but I think it's got worse after the crash.

Any idea where I could pick up any off the following:

• left side SW-Motech crashbars

• Front and both sides plastic fairings.
The bike is a L reg 1996, thats an RD07 I think.

Lessons learned: STAY BACK!, and it's amazing what a crow bar can do after a crash. And the AT is a tough bugger!

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
The m ain thing is mate you were able to get back on and ride home, glad your not injured, metal and plastic can be replaced at the end of the day.

Thats a big thumbs up for our fellow bikers:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:for helping out

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Well not a nice way to welcome you but glad your ok twisted bike is better than twisted bones

I know a lot of strange bikers
but no biker strangers
when in need we tend to help out
lets hope it all ways stays that way
well done Scotriders for upholding the brotherhood

·
Registered
253 Posts
Maybe the backfire is from a dislocated carb or the exhaust pipes might have taken a knock,I had a bad backfire once after a long trip and I found the exhaust header bolts were slightly loose......glad your Ok and good to hear there are still people willing to help strangers...:p

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
So, I'm quickly up and limping about, cursing. The RAV4 guy wants to be off, there seems to be little damage and he says he needs to get a ferry.
Urgent ferry?

From Dundee????

Glad you (and the bike) are OK.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Yeah, glad you're OK, and it's always nice to hear that there are real samaritans out there when you most need them. :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure your backfire will be due to either...

1) An air leak IN TO the exhaust system, anywhere between the cylinder head and silencer. Check the joints, or look for holes.

2) Possibly when your handlebars got bent or straightened, it has damaged or put pressure on the choke cable mechanism, which is prone to jamming. Check the whole assembly from the lever, down the single cable to the splitter, where two cables emerge to each carb.

Good Luck

Bob

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Yeah, glad you're OK, and it's always nice to hear that there are real samaritans out there when you most need them. :thumbup:

Good Luck
What he said.

I thought uh oh! but actually it was a heart-warming story.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'm pretty sure your backfire will be due to either...

1) An air leak IN TO the exhaust system, anywhere between the cylinder head and silencer. Check the joints, or look for holes.

2) Possibly when your handlebars got bent or straightened, it has damaged or put pressure on the choke cable mechanism, which is prone to jamming. Check the whole assembly from the lever, down the single cable to the splitter, where two cables emerge to each carb.

Good Luck

Bob
God call Bob. Looks like a split where the cylinder head joins the exhaust. Hopefully no damage to the head, will have a closer look later.

Thanks to all for the good wishes.

·
always learning!
33 Posts
must be something about the scottish. this summer i was doing john o graots to lands end on my own, had my front tyre instantly go flat and over i went. stuck in the middle of nowere with nothing around apart from alot of heather. out of the blue a lovely couple appeared and helped me get the bike back upright (fully loaded) and the guy took me to the local garage while the wife(with dog)stayed with the bike. all got sorted and i was back on my way in no time at all thanks to them. :thumbright: so i know exactly how you must have felt.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
stuck in the middle of nowere with nothing around apart from alot of heather.
You could have successfully used the heather to stuff the tyre and ridden on! [don't ask me how I know that].

Glad you're OK Adam. The bike will get fixed and in the meantime there's always gaffer tape. :thumbright:

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Likewaise, glad you're alright, bikes heal alot quicker than people.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Glad it worked out for you and you were lucky enough to have help like that, wonderful stuff when you read things like this:thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts