Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 26,500 amazingly beautiful kms, all spent hammering up and down the Peruvian Andes (these work a treat at 5,000m by the way), I have finally fallen foul to a guy who ran a red light and knocked me and my AT into another planet. I walked away, but the AT suffered a bit, especially the tank which has a fist sized dent in it. The handlebars are a bit squashed, and the farings are scratched and mauled up. The two top radiators and cooling fan are also damaged. Apart from that, she seems fine. My question is this: given that I live in Peru (so parts are expensive to import ) is it possible to repair radiators/tanks on the AT? If I did have to buy a tank (2001 XRV model), where could I get it and how much would I be looking at?

Would be appreciative of any help!:pale:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Glad to hear your ok. Rads can be repaired at any rad shop providing the holes are not too large. Bring them in and see if they can fix. Tank can also be repaired with the dent pulled out and filler applied. Fan, tank and rads and many of the fairings come up on ebay quite often.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/
http://www.ebay.de/
Put 'Africa Twin' in the search and your in business. You may have to convince the seller to ship all the way to Peru which will be exspensive. Do you have any contacts or friends in Germany? That would help.
Ebay is your friend here.

Tank here.
http://cgi.ebay.de/Tank-Honda-Afric...ryZ49916QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Glad you're Ok, and sorry about your AT! GSPD750 is spot on - most of it can be repaired. I managed to wear a 4 mm hole in my right hand (the one with the fan) radiator due to the plastic shroud rubbing over time. I repaired that using JB Weld, which had worked on an old kettle previously. The repair on the rad is still going strong, though the bike is more prone to run warm than before. I know similar repairs can be made using 'tin' solder - doubtless the repair shops would be able to do this in Peru - roadside shops in Chile have always come up trumps for me in the past. If the rad is not holed but crumpled the situation might be different as the alluminium probably won't want to be straightened, and even un-straightened it might spring a leak due to the existing stress.

I suppose it's also down to what you want the bike to be - if not actually holed, the dent in the tank is mostly cosmetic and only a problem from the point of view of reducing the capacity. Sometimes to keep biking there are levels of 'rattyness' we are willing to fall to...

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Everbody is right here!

Handlebars -- You can scour eBay for a replacement set or just fit similar pattern ones, like Renthal etc.

Radiators -- Try to get them straightened/soldered locally, or try a fix with some of the repair kits or even a nice big blob of epoxy resin.

Tank -- Just put up with the dent if it doesn't bother you or affect you tank range (due to lower capacity) or even get it filled rubbed down and painted. You could pop it off and get a repair shop to straighten it which could be a bit more expensive, but maybe not too much more in Asia.

It's not the end of the world. Keep a shar eye on www.eBay.de and www.ebay.it and www.ebay.fr and your bits will come up soon.

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry to hear about your off, i also have been in the wars AT vs cyclist , hope you get your bits and pieces sorted , i see the other guys have given lots of advice ! A very helpful bunch

Keep Ridin....................:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lads, thanks a million for all your help - what a friendly bunch you are! Stripped the AT down yesterday and found a few more crumpled bits, but amazed that there weren't more - the local plod told me that I had taken a 50km/hr smack side on.

But yes. you're all right. Although I was really proud of that incredible back/gold tank detail, it's time to take it down to dodgyville and have it filled and sprayed. Who knows, I may even find some transfers kicking around.

The radiators are the shape of a squashed rectangle, but from the advice here, it seems that I can fix them.

Alternatively, if you guys fancy getting together for a Peruvian adventure (After leaving the rain of Manchester 11 years ago, I've got know some great trips in the jungle!) you can bring me a couple.

Happy New Year, and thanks again.;)

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts