Honda XRV Forum banner

Have you crashed your bike?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many of us have failed to keep it all sunny side up and lobbed the bike down the road, or into the number 13 bus, or that magnetic ditch on the Cat & Fiddle pass. I know the stats say that bikers can't ride for more than five minutes without there being a call to 999, but I'm guessing that big traily owners are slightly safer riders than most. So, here's the poll.

Also I guess this thread could be a place for recounting those near (and not-so-near) misses so that others can learn, or laugh. :lol: Photos earn extra credit.

Iain

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh so close...

I'll get the ball rolling with my recent close encounter,

The Scene: I was 3000 miles into my summer trip around the Baltic, and in the far north east of Poland. After the flatness that is the Baltic states I was elated to find that the Poles can build roads with bends in. Although these roads were all built in the 50s and never repaired since.

In the Baltics there are two sorts of roads, smooth gravel and smooth flat lovely tarmac. In Poland however the middle section of the road, about a cars width, might be a patchwork of tarmac, but it'll be flanked by a mix of lumps of tarmac and gravel. Then there's a bit of a grassy verge with deep drainage ditches cut into it, and brand new reflective marker posts every 10 metres (probably financed by the EU). Most cars drive down the middle of the road, then when something comes the other way they inch onto the side of the road throwing up big roosts of dust, before swerving back into the middle of the road again.

The Action: I came up behind an Estonian artic lorry tailing another artic on a quiet country road. The lorries were doing about 45mph and as the road was one of those meandering affairs there was no real opportunity for the Estonian to overtake. I waited for a bend to open up, saw that there was room to get past one, or maybe both, of the lorries so I dropped into 4th, hit main beam, and opened it up.

As I got half way up the Estonian trailer I noticed that he wasn't sticking to his side of the road and I had to move onto the crumbly stuff. By now I'm doing 60mph and still accelerating. Then the thought 'F**k, he's pulling out!' ran through my head, and before I knew it I'm riding down the grass verge.

At this point I was fairly sure that The End was near. I'm bouncing along a bumpy grass verge with drainage ditches causing a wicked weave on the handlebars, plastic marker posts are wizzing past my left pannier and the artic trailer is so close to my right that I collected some paint and a gouge in the aluminium. But I kept on the gas, rode the bumps and ignored the temptation to hit the brakes.

Eventually the Estonian completed his own overtake and moved back across the road. I bounced back onto the road to find a couple of cars bearing down on me. Luckily they'd seen the Estonian's mad move from a ways away and had slowed right down to enable him to complete it. So before the adrenalin had worn off I nipped past the lorry while giving him the bird.

The Lesson: If I had been riding a sports bike I would be toast. The extra acceleration would never have got me past in time, and then I'd be doing 100mph on gravel...

So the Africa Twin really shined in a situation I really thought would see me and the bike disappear in a cloud of broken limbs and plastic. Also I'll credit the off-road riding I do in helping me stay upright. Although I think I was a passenger for most of the ride, staying loose and not braking probably helped me stay onboard.

[Sorry, no photos!]

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hmm ... Are we talking AT's only? If so, I've been crashed into by a dude in his Beemer at the Elephant and Castle, but mercifully stayed on ...

Usual story involving London drivers - he was crawling through traffic in the outside lane, and I was doing much the same (except crawling a bit faster) in the inside lane. Dude decides that he wants the inside lane whilst I'm just passing his passenger door. Try to accelerate out of the way, but it's too late. Inevitable riding in the gutter doesn't solve the situation, but still he keeps on coming. His front wing and my engine guard collide, and I topple my arse off the saddle and onto his bonnet (cue an amusing loss of control situation). Still he carries on, as I sort myself out, get back onto a more traditional riding position, and hit the brakes, still with the bike scraping down his car.

Somewhat flustered, I then overtake him, block his path, and stop - fortunately, he does the same. He then winds down the passenger window, leans over his bird, turns down the 'pumpin' sounds', and ask if he's damaged the bike. I have a look around and say, 'No, but you should see your car'.

Big dude hops out, and his face drops as he notices the gouge running from his front wing, via both front and rear door, and finally tailing off at the rear wheel arch. This, I suspect, meets with considerable displeasure.

I then get accused of it being my fault (I felt it prudent to stay on the bike, complete with crash helmet, and trying to look well 'ard). I suggest that he pulled into me, and if he had a problem with it, I'd be more than happy to exchange insurance details, and/or get the old bill over.

He doesn't seem to be agreeable to such a solution, so gives me the bird, and races off in the only way a BMW 316 can, ie, not particularly racy.

I then have the last laugh by overtaking him whilst he is stationary (went into temporary stealth mode and switched off headlamp), gave him a toot and a wave, and that was that.

Somehow, I don't think it was his car.

As regards other bikes, I used to make a habit of toppling off my triumph Tiger at low speed - it had a nasty problem where it would stall and leave me in the lurch. I hated that bike.

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Ohh boy where do I start? 1994 - First big off on a Suzuki 750GSX going through a nice right hand bend when the pillion decides he does not like the scraping noise of the exhaust under his feet. Needless to say when a 16 stone pillion sit upright through a corner you become a mere passenger on your bike. Went into the field,hit a ditch and flipped the bike front wards. 3 compression breaks in my vertebra and 2 broken ribs later!

October 2003 - Lovely Island of Creté(ermm not) Hired a "cruiser" mistake one, went out to explore mistake two. 5mph around a little village corner and the front wheel pulls a Houdini on me. Summer = t-shirt, shorts & trainers, don't try this at home!! Grazed knee, elbow and missus who had a free ride on my back. Somehow I won't be doing that again.

January 2004 - Filtering on Tusle Hill Brixton way when I notice mommy driver pulling out from a side street. Not going fast so I stop dead before she pulls out in front of me. She looks to her left turning right and promptly ride me off my bike??? WTF!! I gracefully fall onto her bonnet with my 13 stone anorexic frame creating a nice silhouette. She gets out starts telling me it's all my fault I drove into her. Well luckily for me and not so fortunenate for her nice lorry driver called me over and gave me his details as witness. She is till after 8 months trying to sue me for the damages. My bike's damages was less than the excess and myself little bit bruised but still managed to drive to work with bend handlebars.

Luckily out of all of them I managed to walk away from alive and if you out there be careful, always a SMIDSY behind the wheel!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
This is all the ones I can remember 1974 gravel on a round-about 1975 guy reversed out infront of me, 75 deisel on round-about coming off the A3, 1976 ice on road,1976 crappy pillion sat up ,1977 hit 3 cars when back wheel collapsed (wont ever ride with spoked wheels again 1980 diesel on road at Rigate.......thats about it realy
Not bad considering

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
years back on a CM 125, on a wet road in Lowestoft, car in fron slammed the anchors on... he stopped, I didn't... quite... No damage to me, just twisted forks on the bike.

Less ancient, about 10 yrs ago coming back from a day out in the Jura:

small mountain road around Pontarlier, cliff one side & big drop the other.

They'd just resurfaced the road & had bl**dy gravel everywhere, I overcooked a corner & had to choose between going over the barrier into thin air or throwing the whole thing through an opening into a field on the right... ummm... threw it through the opening but hadn't noticed the "gate" A single thick strand of wire cable stretched across the gap...:thumbright:

According to the cyclists who saw it happen (& phoned the ambulance) I did a not ungraceful somersault over the handlebars of the bike, the wire rope having stopped the machine dead in it's tracks. The wire caught the bike (XJ900) just below the headlight effectively cutting the fairing in half!

two days in hospital with a scewey knee & bad bruising to my back.

When I first got the tralp, I dropped it turning left across the main road, ususal thing, uphill start & left turn, somewhat under dosed the throttle with wheel at full left lock... Bang!

not bad I suppose for 22 years biking...:toothy1:

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
This has got to be the record for a randomly ressurected thread. It was over 5 years since the last post until yesterday. Marvellous.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Date of accident 15/07/08
Riding home after going into town for a bottle of wine for our 1st wedding anniversary the next day to see young driver at junction he looks left then right lets the car in front of me go by then looks again makes eye contact with me then pulls out into the bike. I try to swerve but the crash bars hit the front of his car (thankfully saving me from leg injuries) sending myself and wife off for a free flying lesson to see the bike carry on up the road with no riders on until it falls over. We end up spending 10 hours in A&E and thankfully the wife get away with only a sore back and sprained ankle. I on the other hand get my shoulder re-arranged and I’m still waiting for surgery to fix it years later.

Young driver get away with no injuries although the TA's crash bars did carve a large chunk out of the front of his Mums car

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Had a woman side swipe me last October, entirely her fault, and my only real accident. I managed to keep it upright though :thumbright:. Only minor cosmetic damage to my bike, over £2000 worth of damage to the silly wh**** car :thumbup: (my knee caved her door in - ouch :(, crashbars ripped her front wing off, which bent various other things).

Whilst the bike was in getting repaired the following January, was borrowing the missus YBR and managed to come off on black ice, super low speed so only count it as a drop. Although the bike didnt slide far it sling - shotted me along the icey road. Minor damage to the bike (not so minor repair bill :eek:), missus on the back had a bruise and nowt else, I got my shoulder dislocated and muscles torn, bruised ribs and my ponytail ripped apart where it stuck out my jacket :rolleyes:. Good job I was thinking about cutting it anyway. Meant I didn't really get back on the bike til late in the year :(

Best bit is the bloke in the big powerful shiney BMW who saw it happen, was obviously very inconvenienced by having to wait for me to try and pick the bike up and get it out of the road, cus as soon as I was (barely) out of the way he rocketed past full tilt and then proceeded to spin his car around on the SAME BIT OF ICE and almost crash into a parked car. [email protected] :rolleyes:

G

·
Lots of crashes and all as a courier :rolleyes: (nothing though since then)

Highsided after a rebuild when my front wheel locked on an ice covered manhole cover, slammed down on my right side (still partially numb from the nerve damage)

Front wheel lock-up again (yep it was my damn CX500) in St Helens and slided nearly under a lorry (glad he was stationary at a set of lights)

Filtering past a stationary lane of traffic when someone popped out of a driveway in front of me, right front corner of the astra hit my left side engine casing just missing my foot

In right lane on the A4 (just west of hammersmith) and some idiot saw the gap but didn't see the bike :rolleyes: and I ended up against the central barrier

A few more as well...but nothing serious

G

·
Woops, forgot my only crash since after couriering..

Coming back from Nottingham to Manchester on the A6 just a few miles before Buxton on a VF750FD with a pillion..

Went to overtake some open top sports car when for some reason he sped up.. If he hadn't of thought I wanted a race :)rolleyes: typical sports car idiot) I would have got safetly passed him, but by the time I relaised what was happening I was on the wrong side of the road with a car just popping out of a driveway in front of me..

Bike hit the front left wing which peeled back like a tine opener.. Bike was a right off...

Slight cut to my right leg below the knee, Pillion just a bit bruised, that was back in mid/late 90's

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Taxi 'U' turn.

Some daft old bint half asleep with completely misted up windows about this time of year tried to drive over me on a roundabout.

Dropped at the lights a couple of times, usually pulling pants out of arse in the summer.

360 on ice last year but didn't keep it upright. :( (so close though!)

Front wheel tucked on a clay covered road.

Dropped in car parks a couple of times.

I think generally speaking I'm quite lucky as none have been particularly grim! but it is I think safe to say that anyone who rides all year round, especially commuters, have a near miss on a daily basis!! :rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

'off topic'

It would be interesting to do (and stick up the anti-mc brigade!) a video backed survey of the near miss action motorcyclists encounter on a daily basis as a result of halfwits behind the wheel......

.......and then lobby for a ridiculus change to and multi stage driving test to re-educate these nuggets! :thumbleft::D How about a swerve test so they stand a chance of avoiding us! :teeth:

:blah5::blah5::blah5:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Near misses, plenty, including quite an entertaining one on a roundabout at night (night, HOW did he not see me?) where a BMW either didn't see me or wanted to kill me, resulted me winding the throttle to the stop in second gear to get by in front of him (you know the moment that it changes from "I could just do an emergency stop" to "Just hammer the throttle and I should just make it through", that's when he pulled out...), I honestly have no idea how close his front wing was to my rear wheel, but if I'd stayed in third gear I probably wouldn't have made it.

Dropped it thosands of times :roll:. Probably about 10? Only once on a tarmacced road, mind, doing a U turn about a mile after I bought the bike ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts