Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a Shoei Hornet ADV lid :D but I have seen the odd You Tube Vid and comment about ADV helmets vibrating or there's extra noise because of the "fork tunnel" on the AFrica Twin CRF1000L - basically wind / air streaming up through the forks that disrupts the 'peak' of an ADV lid.

Anyone can confirm this / had any experience? Some lids worse than others?

I can see there are is a DIY fix, but I'm not spending Shoei money to staple an inner tube down the fork tunnel :(

1.jpg

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Without the deflector thingy fitted to the standard screen my helmet was unbearable at motorway speeds yet no problem on any of my other bikes, I haven't tried the bike without the peak on to see if it makes any difference. the helmet i use is a givi HPS X01

Reactions: Dave H

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Without the deflector thingy fitted to the standard screen my helmet was unbearable at motorway speeds yet no problem on any of my other bikes, I haven't tried the bike without the peak on to see if it makes any difference. the helmet i use is a givi HPS X01
Yikes! not good :( thnaks for feedback Fred, might avoid the ADV hat :confused:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I had a TourX since 2007 and used to get buffeting but i was not too bothered. 2014 I bought a Nolan X551 Adventure. The peak is slightly shorter but still effective in sunlight and has the internal sunvisor if needed. I get no buffeting at all now an any of my ATs and even the DRZ

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I'm 5' 11" Dave the helmet is fine with the wind deflector, this is the only photo i got with it fitted not the best looking thing but it works

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 5' 11" Dave the helmet is fine with the wind deflector, this is the only photo i got with it fitted not the best looking thing but it works
I'm the same height and bought the Batzen Screen Adjuster, works a treat but I think it's too risky to hit the Visa for £400 on the Shoei to find I am back to square 1 just after I managed to get the buffering sorted out :(

I hate this about hats; wish some retailers would let you try before you buy (even have demo lids) - Must be the only industry you cant return a product if you dont like it or it doesn't work for you.

I know people who would buy expensive party gear pre-Xmas and return it after the celebrations! We cant even try out a helmet for 10 minutes on your bike!!!

1.jpg

Thanks Fred :thumbleft:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I am going to stick with full face race helmets you can get away with them on every kind of bike ever made from super sports to vintage to Harleys to dual sport adventure bikes or scooters . same with my gear it goes from one bike to the next . I have heard that the adventure style helmets are not good at high speed I know they look cool enough but looks isn't everything beauty wont boil the pot as they say .

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I am going to stick with full face race helmets you can get away with them on every kind of bike ever made from super sports to vintage to Harleys to dual sport adventure bikes or scooters . same with my gear it goes from one bike to the next . I have heard that the adventure style helmets are not good at high speed I know they look cool enough but looks isn't everything beauty wont boil the pot as they say .
I have no problem with the helmet on any of the other bikes, my cb1000 is a naked bike other than a handlebar mounted screen and i've been over 130mph with no issues but the CRF had the helmet drumming at anything over 60mph. I'm going to look into this wind up through the fork tunnel see if there is something in it and see if i can make something worthy of the CRF and fitting it there permantly other then a bit of inner tube :D

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I'm 6' but tall body and short legs (31" inside leg). With 980mm seat height I can't touch the floor on my ATs or DRZ unless I shift or lean the bikes over

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I will too :D Its not worth the gamble for me, my standard hat is fine I just love the ADV look, but you're right; far better to be comfy and enjoy the CRF than get battered around but looking the part. Ive just done 223 miles today in high winds, 9 degrees and loved it :D I kept thinking an ADV lid might have had me going nuts and £400 more in debt:confused:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have not got an CRF Africa Twin and never will have...but have you seen a blanking plate advertised for the top of the fork tunnel from SWEGOTECH.....looks dead simple to fit and they have a nice video showing before and after results...have a ganda.....crf swegotech finds it on google

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I have not got an CRF Africa Twin and never will have...but have you seen a blanking plate advertised for the top of the fork tunnel from SWEGOTECH.....looks dead simple to fit and they have a nice video showing before and after results...have a ganda.....crf swegotech finds it on google
Im in the process of making one to try, the one you pointed out is a bit expensive to import it doubles the price of the part unfortunately. Made a cardboard template today got to source some plastic now a bit of scavenging in work tomorrow me thinks :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes...I see your point about expensive...looks like their in Nevada in America and are about £40 quid incl post. I suffer a bit on my old Transalp 600 into strong head winds, BUT ... read lots of posts by people that have been swopping screens and adding on deflectors, so stayed with the standard screen. The old XL600v has a flat thick plastic guide plate for the speedo cable that sorts of blanks off the tunnel at the bottom...I think i will look at having a go at making something for the top end too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I run with an MRA short screen fitted, that's what works the best for me. I don't try to hide behind ever bigger screens....motorbikes are kinda meant to be windy. :D

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I run with an MRA short screen fitted, that's what works the best for me. I don't try to hide behind ever bigger screens....motorbikes are kinda meant to be windy. :D
Its not wind blowing me about that's the problem its a vibration on the helmet i can only describe as someone drilling into your helmet with a hammer drill which made long rides unbearable with my peaked helmet.
Anyway i made one and tried it out a few weeks ago and it has fixed the problem for me :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts