Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if there is a definitive answer to the heated grips issues on the new AT - Has anyone had these fixed, replaced, or some compensation? :confused:

I am hearing all kinds of odd stories: Some say they got a refund, others say Honda are not going to do anything :( I'm confused......

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Wondering if there is a definitive answer to the heated grips issues on the new AT - Has anyone had these fixed, replaced, or some compensation? :confused:

I am hearing all kinds of odd stories: Some say they got a refund, others say Honda are not going to do anything :( I'm confused......

I got a refund on mine, but it was a goodwill gesture from the dealer, as they agreed they were pretty useless. This was a few weeks after collecting it at the beginning of the year, and I made a point of riding in to see the dealer, who shook my hand and remarked "jeezus, you're bloody freezing" at which point I brought up how fekkin useless the £300 heated grips were that they'd sold me! It was perfect timing!

The only update I'm aware of with the grips is the fitment of a ferrite core around a white wire (I think) in the loom. To my understanding, Honda believe that electrical interference within the bike's loom itself is confusing the heated grip controller, and that is what is causing the low heat output. I hope they're right, and the fix works, but my gut feeling is that it might just be the grips cannot overcome the chill (heatsink) effect of the handlebars themselves. Time will tell!

In the meantime, I fitted a pair of unbelievably cheap grips, which work a treat, for less than £10

They took a couple of hours to fit, purely because I was being careful taking the million clips and screws out to dismantle it, but if you're reasonably confident, it's easy.

Hope you get them sorted soon

Bob:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Dave is there anyway you can bypass the controller to see if it is that at fault
BobA did you connect the cheep grips to the wiring behind the front fairing where the honda grips were connected

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Dave is there anyway you can bypass the controller to see if it is that at fault
BobA did you connect the cheep grips to the wiring behind the front fairing where the honda grips were connected

Bypassing the controller is not an option, as the Honda heated grips are digital. The grip based button signals the controller, which also interfaces with the bike's ECU to display the heat setting on the instrument cluster. I'm sure Honda will get to the bottom of it, but they have a terrible attitude towards keeping the customer informed.

The cheapo grip I installed from China are also digital, but for less than a tenner, it was a chance worth taking. They obviously don't display their setting on the dash, but they have 5 settings with a mechanical switch, so it doesn't take a lot of working out.

I did wire them in to the official take-off point inside the front fairing, and they work a treat. I just bought the correct connector from Rugged Roads and wired them up correctly.

Cheers
Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Bypassing the controller is not an option, as the Honda heated grips are digital. The grip based button signals the controller, which also interfaces with the bike's ECU to display the heat setting on the instrument cluster. I'm sure Honda will get to the bottom of it, but they have a terrible attitude towards keeping the customer informed.

The cheapo grip I installed from China are also digital, but for less than a tenner, it was a chance worth taking. They obviously don't display their setting on the dash, but they have 5 settings with a mechanical switch, so it doesn't take a lot of working out.

I did wire them in to the official take-off point inside the front fairing, and they work a treat. I just bought the correct connector from Rugged Roads and wired them up correctly.

Cheers
Thanks Bob i haven't seen the honda grips thought the controller could have been unplugged and bypassed to test the grips without control, I like the way the honda grips integrate into the bike and i'm holding out hoping they sort the issue but its getting bloody cold so don't know how long before i give in.
My mate got a set of oxford grips from rugged roads and he said they advised him to connect them direct to the battery and not use the wiring there for them for some reason.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Thanks Bob i haven't seen the honda grips thought the controller could have been unplugged and bypassed to test the grips without control, I like the way the honda grips integrate into the bike and i'm holding out hoping they sort the issue but its getting bloody cold so don't know how long before i give in.
My mate got a set of oxford grips from rugged roads and he said they advised him to connect them direct to the battery and not use the wiring there for them for some reason.

The advice from Rugged Roads is exactly what Oxford advise. Again, the Oxford grip are digital, and the controller detects voltage drop at the battery once you've switched off the engine. Shortly after the voltage drops (because the engine is no longer charging the battery) the Oxford controller switches the grips off.

The cheap grips I installed don't have any fancy voltage detection, so must be wired to a switched 12v circuit, hence putting them on the Honda auxiliary circuit

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I got the fancy oxford ones on my dominator and wired them off a switched live behind the headlight i like the thought they are isolated when the ignition is off it does say in the fitting instructions if connected to a switched ignition supply feed, ensure that the wiring harness is connected to main ignition cabling which can take the extra load of up to 4 amps. They told him they wouldn't work properly if he connected to the wiring for the heated grips and was wondering if they knew something nobody else does. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I got the fancy oxford ones on my dominator and wired them off a switched live behind the headlight i like the thought they are isolated when the ignition is off it does say in the fitting instructions if connected to a switched ignition supply feed, ensure that the wiring harness is connected to main ignition cabling which can take the extra load of up to 4 amps. They told him they wouldn't work properly if he connected to the wiring for the heated grips and was wondering if they knew something nobody else does. :thumbup:
My basic rule of thumb is; if the wires on the bikes loom, are thinner than the ones on the power connections to the grips, then they are incapable of supplying the correct current.

After saying that, I am a bit of a bodger at heart sometimes, and on all my past AT's, I've wired the heated grips to the sidelight circuit, and they've worked perfectly !��

:thumbright:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
My basic rule of thumb is; if the wires on the bikes loom, are thinner than the ones on the power connections to the grips, then they are incapable of supplying the correct current.

After saying that, I am a bit of a bodger at heart sometimes, and on all my past AT's, I've wired the heated grips to the sidelight circuit, and they've worked perfectly !��

:thumbright:
Yup that's the way i look at it, it's a pretty good rule of thumb :thumbright: as for the bodging i wired a power socket on my cb and the easiest place to pick up a switched live was off the indicator supply, i discovered after a while when you indicate right the power goes off it doesn't go on and off with the indicators just stays off until you cancel them been like that for about 3 years now i'll get round to sorting it out one day :D

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive called my Honda dealer and my bike is booked in for late next week - I'm not 100% sure whats happening (must pay more attention); they seem to say there is a fix by replacing something - if this doesn't work, then it's new grips.

That sounds like Honda have found a way to fix this or at least, replace the grips with better performing units?

I'll come back on this thread when I have the bike back :D:D:D

Fingers crossed - its bloody freezing out there !

·
Registered
146 Posts
Bob, do you have a link for the Hq cheap grips?

Thanks��

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Bob, do you have a link for the Hq cheap grips?

Thanks��

Here is an example of what I bought.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V..._1&btsid=765d0791-8462-41a1-af82-e98e67d14fc6

They are cheap and cheerful, and work a treat.

There are quite a few examples of similar grips, but you MUST make sure that the throttle tube grip has two holes, as the XRV and CRF Africa Twins have two throttle cables (push & pull)

After fitting them, you will need to slightly re-adjust the throttle cable to take a out a bit of slack.

My only other advice is, when gluing the left side grip, that contains the switch; apply glue to the outer end of the grip. This is to prevent glue getting onto the switch mechanism, as you slide it onto the handlebars.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi All,

Just a quick up-date; My grips have "failed' some tests at Honda, so new / replacement parts are on the way.

I will be collecting my bike early next week so will come back on this thread with my thoughts - hopefully they will be all sorted :)

If you have a new AT with heated grips, get your bike booked in - looks like there is a fix at last :D:D:D

D

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to let you know, I got my bike back from Honda with the heated grip 'fix' - No difference.

I ride for 15 minutes, didn't seem to get any hotter than before. Ive emailed the dealer and the reply was......

The not getting hot enough issue is under factory investigation and we are expecting a counter measure immanently ( next couple of weeks )
We will be in touch with you as soon as we find out.

sigh..... :(

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Pah! I guess they'll be sorted one day, doesn't stop me enjoying the bike :thumbright:

Mind you, love the Africa Twin Enduro Concept! Please stop me from buying one...... please...... :confused:

Cheers !
I'm waiting for them to sort it so i can buy them i like the way they integrate into the bike. I wont be using this one much in the winter i use the dog for that so i can wait :D but cant help feeling pissed off when something simple like this doesn't work.
As for the concept bike i'm glad they didn't make it when i was buying the bike otherwise i would own a totally impractical bike for what i'd be using it for but it sure would look good :D

Here it is again just in case you forgot what it looks like (wipes drool from chin)

Honda-Africa-Twin-Enduro-Sports-concept-3.jpg

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Just look at that :) I want one !!!!! Wonder why only one front disc?
I'm sure with modern brake technology 1 disc up front will be fine, I'm not saying two would not be better but I suspect 1 will do the job.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts