Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Hondarers,

After a great afternoons laning on my 2005 crf250x i washed the bike down after letting it cool for a bit and tried to start it with the exhaust bung still in for a couple of seconds. after realising and removing it still failed to start....

I can smell fuel in the exhaust and had a couple of puffs from it but cant get it going. So im thinking the worst case scenario and need the valves sorting but before i jump to that what should I check?

fuel to carb
spark
then finally check the valve clearences

can you guys think of anything else??

also if i do end up doing the valves is it worth shimming or just replace and what else should i do if i got that far bearing in mind i have no history with the bike and it seems the guy who had it before me rode it but didnt maintain it........

Many thanks,

dom

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
After a great afternoons laning on my 2005 crf250x i washed the bike down after letting it cool for a bit and tried to start it with the exhaust bung still in for a couple of seconds. after realising and removing it still failed to start....
The bung in place will just increase the back pressure and stop the exhaust gasses leaving the cylinder and won't cause any lasting damage. I'd be inclined to think water's got somewhere it shouldn't while washing it (was it a pressure washer and did you spray near the spark plug?). Another possibility may be the plug got drowned in fuel when you were trying to start it. Make sure everything is dry and that you've got a spark. Bung in a new plug if you've got one handy.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
If everything was running fine and the only thing you did was wash the bike then i would agree water ingress somewhere as valves don't just suddenly go. Or something silly like a kill switch or fuel turned off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes i agree and hope thats the issue but i have found a couple of examples on tut web where bikes have just failed to re-start following normal operation and the valves had been at fault. but then im probably just being pessimistic as ive read up a bit about crf's and their valves....

she also rattles a bit under load or low rpm so i want to look at the auto de-compressor which can cause this.... anyone know if its servicable?

ta

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
yes i agree and hope thats the issue but i have found a couple of examples on tut web where bikes have just failed to re-start following normal operation and the valves had been at fault. but then im probably just being pessimistic as ive read up a bit about crf's and their valves....

she also rattles a bit under load or low rpm so i want to look at the auto de-compressor which can cause this.... anyone know if its servicable?

ta
Thinking about it though see it all the time at moto-x and enduro nearly all the 4stroke moto-x bikes really suffer from hot start issues maybe thats what you was experiencing try starting it from cold and see what happens. Also if you read a beleive what people say about every model you would never buy anything for fear of it breaking down.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it has been a great hot starter without using the lever even after bubbling her a bit after getting stuck..

naa wont start cold but its all stripped down now so will have a hunt around, getting a new plug and fuels ok, battery on charge so all i need now is some time!!!! arent babies FUN while im at this level i will check the valve clearences and take the carb of a clean it all up! fingers crossed....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

well as i thought i have no clearance on either of the intake valves. cant even get a 0.05mm feeler in there so need to at least re-shim which will only buy me a little time so might as well sort out what Honda should have done when they first realised this problem. This really is a shoddy design and wish steered clear now based on all the evidence so far.

Looks like a combination of springs not firm enough to enable the valve to slide on the cam at top revs, an overly aggressive cam lobe which will drop the valve to its seat causing extra wear on a plated surface (OE titanium plated valve) As far as I can gather this is still happening to new bikes with zero clearence after 40hrs with proper use. I know its a race bread bike but this is bordering on not fit for purpose...at my ride rate thats a re-scim or valve replacement nearly every month!!!! NO THANKS.....

I'll probably do what i have to do to get it running, strip all my bling and buy a bike without a stupid need for major service items as regular as checking the tyres.

A shame as i really liked it...... so Honda you've lost me... The Africa Twins gone with no replacement and off road bikes that are as high maintenance as a budget italian/spannish wannabe.....

Any KTM's for sale.............the futures orange me thinks...:blob:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi all,

Any KTM's for sale.............the futures orange me thinks...:blob:

KTM's are even more highly strung it's in the name (Keeps Taking Money),. Everybody i know who's had a KTM has spent more time and money on servicing and repairs then i ever did on my Gasgas. About 2 years ago my mate bought a brand new EXC200 from fowlers brought it home ran it in changed the oil before the time said in hours and the bike ended up back at fowlers. The gearbox sprockets collapsed in 9hrs use running in and were stuck to the magnetic sump plug

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jesus christ i wish i liked swimming or scrabble then all id have to think about is nut huggers, goggles and words :lol:

yea your probably right im just peeved right now as spending anymore on the bike isnt sitting to cool with the Mrs.... + baby

long term though thinking a 450 would be better for road work as the 250 while awsome on the lanes (untill it needs rebuilding AGAIN) its a F******G chore on the road... does annyone know if their gearing is slightly longer for a bit of road work?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Virtually 90% trail/off roader in South Wales is on Orange... why because they work... yes they have their troubles... as do all other enduro focused machines... Gas Gas have poor quality also!!! If you want to trail ride without engine worries or putting your hand in your pocket every now and again buy a bike with peddles and Shimano gears!!!!:D
Get yourself as good RFS EXC (400 preferably or 525) as you can find. LeisureTrail, Mounters, and AMS have never done a bottom end rebuild on one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 6 spd box allows effortless road work on great off road gearing, old style valves are easy to check and parts are cheap...... some people just constantly knock orange, but until you have given one a go dont listen:thumbup:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Virtually 90% trail/off roader in South Wales is on Orange... why because they work... yes they have their troubles... as do all other enduro focused machines... Gas Gas have poor quality also!!! If you want to trail ride without engine worries or putting your hand in your pocket every now and again buy a bike with peddles and Shimano gears!!!!:D
Interesting how views change across the country, down here people are going away from KTM's and each event you go to more people are using gasgas because they have better reliability and setup than the KTM's. 2 years back my mate bought a 200EXC from fowlers in Bristol it only managed 9 hours, which was shorter than there run in period before the gearbox sprockets collapsed fowlers replaced all of them nder warranty which was lucky as KTM only gave a 3 months warranty from new.
The bike thats being raved about at the moment and i have a local dealer to me who will have them in stock shortly is the New 300 Sherco enduro bike, tests indicate at the moment it's the best on the market but until people are prepared to try something new we will never know.
My personal view on KTM is some of them look very trick and mean the business, but knowing lots of people down here who own and race them and how much money they spend on repairs i wouldn't own one. I wouldn't have a problem buying a new Gasgas though if only they would improve paint density and fasteners as the way the bike ride from new are awsome also Husaberg seem to be making a bit of a come back down here at the moment

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
But the Husaberg is just a different orange Jas:D Will look forward to the Sherco.... but like I still say about the RFS engine being good.... Sherco used them for enough years as did Beta. But then at the top of this thread is about a CRF250X and to be honest I know 3 guys using them and not one is unhappy with them, or had any problems either

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im calmer now things are happening and looking like a total of £350 with parts and labour locally which is for:

New gaskets
stainless valves and uprated springs
new piston and rings
re-seating the ex and in valves
and chucking a new (my old new fmf) exhaust on...

I guess this race bred bike maintenance thing was a bit of a shock to me but hey ho it is a great light bike that does what i want and i hope it will for a while now :)

but i will be shopping in the new yr so will be doing some serious thinking about what i want from a bike and definstly want something less highly strung but and light and i defo want 6 gears!!!!!!! :)

thanks for your thoughts.........check out the KTM FREERIDE 350 terrible name but with a more relaxed engine should truck on ages...for a price :)

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
If they sort out their dodgy FI that is!! But yes the Freeride is looking like its going to be a hit already

·
Registered
162 Posts
My 2 CRF250s have been 100% reliable. Once the OE titanium valves were replaced with steel they have needed very little maintenance. After 4 years hard service of 90% off-road use including numerous river drownings, riding in temperatures of up to 42º and far too many crashes they only needed a new piston this year and they are now as fresh as ever. If a previous owner has neglected basic maintenance such as regular oil changes any make and model of bike might turn out to be a lemon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
im calmer now things are happening and looking like a total of £350 with parts and labour locally which is for:

New gaskets
stainless valves and uprated springs
new piston and rings
re-seating the ex and in valves
and chucking a new (my old new fmf) exhaust on...

I guess this race bred bike maintenance thing was a bit of a shock to me but hey ho it is a great light bike that does what i want and i hope it will for a while now :)

but i will be shopping in the new yr so will be doing some serious thinking about what i want from a bike and definstly want something less highly strung but and light and i defo want 6 gears!!!!!!! :)

thanks for your thoughts.........check out the KTM FREERIDE 350 terrible name but with a more relaxed engine should truck on ages...for a price :)

can ask you where you got the work done for £350.. just got myself a 2013 crf250x and would like the number on hand incase i get valve trouble thanks dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts