Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I've just got my new 2011 CRF450X (a replacement for my 2004 CRF250X stolen some time ago
). From the place where I live for the moment, to the trails where I usually ride, I'll have to do about 40/50 kms on each direction on streets/paved roads/highways. Will it damage the bike riding on paved roads/highways to reach the trails instead of having to put the bike on the trailer anytime I want to take it for a ride? What recommendations do you have?

I thank you in advance for your help.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi everybody,

I've just got my new 2011 CRF450X (a replacement for my 2004 CRF250X stolen some time ago
). From the place where I live for the moment, to the trails where I usually ride, I'll have to do about 40/50 kms on each direction on streets/paved roads/highways. Will it damage the bike riding on paved roads/highways to reach the trails instead of having to put the bike on the trailer anytime I want to take it for a ride? What recommendations do you have?

I thank you in advance for your help.
Won't do any damage to the bike all it will do is wear the offroad tyres out quicker, you might get a bit more bounce through the handlebars with knobblies on the front wheel and it might feel like the wheel is out of balance at speed with the rim lock fitted. You'll get used to it, but if you still live where your bike got stolen from you should be used to it unless you never rode your previous bike to the trails.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Don't fit a noisy after market can. Off road fine, but it will drive you crazy for those on road distances.
Oh and if you could stow a sheepskin somewhere for that road section. The seat doesn't affect you at all of road, but again, that road section....jeesh:D

I had to ride back a few miles with XR Dave on his bike and me on mine on tarmac roads when I buggered my wrist after an off. Even he told me off because his bum was hurting; from the ride you perverts!

XRDave, get off and do a proper job:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
while were on this subject is the gearing longer on the 450 than the 250 ie a bit more relaxed in 5th???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Thanks for your opinions and advice. I had my previous bike in the country (Alentejo) so it was very easy to take it to the trails. The new one is in the city, for long rides I transport it on the trailer but for short rides I was considering avoiding that. This was the reason of my post. XR Dave: thanks for your concern but in the area where I live there are no cobblestones ;) .

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
I was parking the bike whilst I went for a wee!:D
Anyway, I'd booked a quad, so was surprised when it fell over when I came to a stop!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not ideal but do able.As mentioned, the seat will be painful after that time (60 miles on road plus your time trail riding when there). As long as you keep the revs sensible (6000rpm roughly seems easy on engine and comfortable cruise) it will work and the valve troubles will not plague you. It's when your up by the limiter valves will die.Butto be comfy you will want to gear it up which isn't ideal once off roading. Also any decent off road tyres will generally be shredded Your better looking at the xr range of bikes, a bit more long lasting on the pavement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi XRDave,

I usually ride in Alentejo closer to the coast (Porto Covo). Maybe one day I go "inland" and visit you. I've checked your website and the area were you are located looks great (I've been there but not riding off-road).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts