Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Crossrunner test ride

Having done some mileage on my '92 vfr 750, I was a little more than interested to test Paul's (24ftlb) Crossrunner......

The opportunity arose on Sunday in a very sunny & slightly busy Peak District!

Upon sitting on the bike, it feels surprisingly light & compact, almost supermoto like, infact not unlike my (previous) BMW 650 CrossCountry.
Starting the bike is at first a little underwhelming coming straight from the vfr750, gone has the intoxicating, oh so lovely 'sweet' gear driven cam whine (vtecs have a cam chain) replaced by a smooth but throbby engine note, not unlike a v twin!
Setting off, the throttle is sharp & responsive right from tickover, lovely in fact. It takes a while to get used to Hondas masterstroke of swapping the horn & indicator switches over WTF is that about :confused:
Seating position is pleasantly comfy but IMHO, not the one size fits all of Honda's gone by, the seat was slighy too slippery (wearing bike jeans) & well but not perfectly shaped, kind of tipping my bum forward slightly but not such to be a problem, seat height felt lower than such as the Transalp, I was able to flat foot with a slightly bended knee.
One thing that slowly became a (albeit slight) issue was the handle bar position/angle, the angle was too tight - even with my elbows tucked into my body, my wrists were angled sideways to keep my palms flat on the bars, this inturn caused an irritance & ache at my elbows & shoulders which became more aparrent through most of the ride but ironically eased towards the end - I found TDM 850's very similar in this respect......
Foot pegs are higher & more rearward than initially expected for an 'allrounder' type of bike but comfy nonetheless.
While we are on the subject of annoyances - the clocks - like many modern bikes, it's an all in one 'full lcd display' pod which at best wasn't easy to read instantly at a glance, at worst nigh on impossible such as when travelling down a tree lined route with flicking between bright sun & shade.
V's hornet clocks are much easier to read in this respect, better still, fit a full set of analogue gauges :D
The standard screen was very good with no buffeting & acceptable windnoise.

Heading around a variety of road surfaces, the motor is a peach, offering strong responsive drive from almost tockover in pretty much any gear, however, on the odd occasion I felt it a bit lacking between 6 -7k at which point the vtec operates, the extra inlet & exhaust valves start to work & the engine takes on a meaningful snarl as it progressively becomes more & more rampant offering superb, grin inducing & potentiolly licence threatening performance - I have since been told by Paul that by snapping the throttle open operates the vtec at 6k avoiding the mid range 'running out of puff' dip.
On very light low rev throttle such as trickling through town, a very slight surge could be felt. Not an issue but there, just.
70mph is at a low 4500rpm (redline circa 11k?) making it a relaxed distance bike engine (my vfr 750 70mph is at 6k.....), with enough performance to make effortless overtakes & the engine is happy pulling 50mph in top.

Handling is superb.
Light, flickable, agile & precise right from walking pace & stable right up to errrm, 'quick enough', only let down by front forks which felt harsh both through town & on the open road, having said that, it wasn't enough to upset the bike on bumpy corners but a little more refinement would have been nice.
The brakes are standard 'current' Honda fare with CBS & ABS (optional?) & work superbly, although the rear's always feel a little wooden to me.

Wearing 17" f+r roadbike tyres (120f/180r) on alloy rims, this aint a bike even pretinding to challenge the offroad ability of 800gs/xc's or ktm's of this world.
The beak is hardly noticeable for starters.....

What the Crossrunner is, is a damned fine true 'do it all' road bike that is as happy pootling around little back lanes, enjoying the view as it is being ridden with verve around the twisties or even, dare I say it, chasing wayward sportsbike riders or strapped with luggage tramping the UK's or Europes motorways.

At 9k, the new price is perhaps a little salty, a quick check on ebay/bike trader has pre reg & late reg low milers starting at just below 6k, at which I'd say they are good value for money.
Being VFR vtec running gear, they will be reliable, durable & well made & a much better realword bike in all fairness :eek:

Try one, you might like it.
I did.

Phil

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Re: Crossrunner test ride

Nice write up Phil

G

·
Thanks for a fair and candid review phil. At the Shropshire or the national you can try it again without all the luggage on.
A lot of people are put off by its subjective looks.

I must admit your 750 is a lovely bike to ride. Perfect fueling. Well it would be being on carbs. Its a little unforgiving if you upset it in a corner mind. Steady in and full chat out and it's like a scalpel tho. Shame after about an hour I started with the neck ache but that was the reason the red vtec had to go.

paul

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for a fair and candid review phil. At the Shropshire or the national you can try it again without all the luggage on.
A lot of people are put off by its subjective looks.

I must admit your 750 is a lovely bike to ride. Perfect fueling. Well it would be being on carbs. Its a little unforgiving if you upset it in a corner mind. Steady in and full chat out and it's like a scalpel tho. Shame after about an hour I started with the neck ache but that was the reason the red vtec had to go.

paul

Cheers Paul & Paul :thumbup:

It is amazing the transformation in performance & useability between the V4 750 & 800VTEC in the CR.

Cheers for giving me the oportunity to have a decent run on it, another try on more predictable roads (without the traffic, cyclists, walkers & road chippings.....) Would be appreciated :thumbup:

Phil

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Revisited!

Do you know when a bike eats away at you after a test ride, you know - was it that good/did I really enjoy it THAT much.....?

There's only one way to find out - get another test ride!

Result - Yep!
Crossrunners, rock :thumbup:

The not insignificant 240kg wet weight is hidden extremely well, the bike feels light, agile sharp & stable. The engine is a joy to use, being perky & tractable with an almost bonkers top end!
Historically, Honda's v4's have not been known for being great for economy & have a feeling the vfr800x will be no different in this respect.....

En route home, I called to see a friend (yes, I do have one!) who has an xc Tiger, which I have ridden previously and enjoyed.
Another spin on the Tiger, almost back to back with the CR......
Sorry all the Tiger owners out there but the CR beats it hands down in most areas.....

The Tiger has a wonderful turbine smooth motor that is happy to pull from sub 2k completely vibe & glitch free whereas the CR needs to be at 3k+ to be happy & occasionally has a slightly 'artificial' feel to the throttle.
Handling wise the CR 'feels' much lighter & agile round the twisties The Tiger felt almost barge like & cumbersome with slightly 'choppy' suspension in comparison.
The Honda's brakes are light years ahead of the Triumphs.

A purely personal opinion but for me the Crossrunner is a great real world road bike that gave me a buzz that the Triumph doesn't (good though it is)
I'm just waiting for prices to plumet a little more then there's a distinct possibility one could be sat in the garage! :):):)

Phil

G

·
Ahhh the fuel economy. Well on the vfr rideout it managed 46mpg phil even with you riding it.
However.....
What you need to do is set the computer to average miles per litre. The lower the bigger the smile.
Shropshire is best for that or the lakes.....

Buttermere revisited ?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh the fuel economy. Well on the vfr rideout it managed 46mpg phil even with you riding it.
However.....
What you need to do is set the computer to average miles per litre. The lower the bigger the smile.
Shropshire is best for that or the lakes.....

Buttermere revisited ?

I had the fuel trip displayed yesterday.
When 'cold' (bleeding hot day!) & in town, the trip was 5-6 mpl (25mpg! :eek:
As the bike got to temp & out of town (few minutes) it tended to hover around 10mpl, steady running had it up to 13mpl. On my return, showing 11mpl.

At least the tank is a decent size.

I wonder how they fare with an inherent tweaker/fiddler like myself :D?
Keep looking at the cat & thinking "that fecker wants to come out!"

And that's the reason I've declined from riding Paul's bike...... I can't afford one :confused:
Oh, go on!
I'd be interesting to hear other views on it John.....

Phil

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ooops ... but i wanted the cross tourer :( .... Well can't afford it anyway ...not sure the cross runner will be better than the cross tourer on rugged roads though..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, nice review Phil.Have never really liked the look of it myself.Think the new one just introduced looks a whole lot better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts