Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are peoples thoughts on crunchy first to second gear changes?

I read "They all do that" but mine didn't (07 Fi) and it does now.

The clutch appears to be working as it should, although it has a fair few miles on it.

I read some people prime the lever before 1st to 2nd and yes that works but it's a pain, it's spoiling my rides!

Cheers
Rob

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
1 Check chain tension - too tight or too loose can cause crunchy gear change.

2. Check clutch lever for free play. Should be about 2-3mm movement before the cable goes tight and starts moving the clutch. If more than this the clutch might be dragging.

3. Move the gear lever on the shaft to a better position for your foot.

4. Or, just a slower more deliberate gear change. If you know it's going to do it there may be a technique that works around it.

Good luck sorting it.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Try changing the oil, fresh oil makes a huge difference to the gear box.
Oil cables ,linkage and gear shift, I use chain lube on the gear shift, that makes a big difference, and yes check chain tension and throughly lube the chain.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Try changing the oil, fresh oil makes a huge difference to the gear box.
Oil cables ,linkage and gear shift, I use chain lube on the gear shift, that makes a big difference, and yes check chain tension and throughly lube the chain.
Yes change oil, I knew there was another one but it wouldn't come to the front of my brain.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I don't have a varadero 1000 yet but I will in the hopefully not to distance future :thumbup: my transalp can be crunchy to get into first if I don't work the clutch 3 or 4 times before I engage gear when starting from cold then it just snicks in real smooth . how I ride the bike for smooth gear changes is I bring the bike up to 4000 rpm let off the throttle a tad with for the blink of an eye and it slips in to the higher gear silently and smoothly or if I have the road and the room I take it to 4500 rpm and I do clutchless up shifts for down shifts approaching corners I pull the clutch and rev it up slightly it makes it smoother . it works for me maybe it wont on a vara because you might be doing 60 mph in first at 4000 rpm and fuel injection might make a difference and all . I keep fresh oil fuchs silkoline super 4 semi syn at the moment and my chain is well lubed and adjusted correctly a dry chain out of adjustment spoils the ride . you say high mileage Rob how many miles is that ?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Yep, agree with Austin and Paul:
Chain tension
Oil change

Good luck

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Also experiment with changing gear more quickly. On some bikes, changing gear too leisurely (or apprehensively) can actually be less smooth than an ultra-quick 'clutch partially in-shift-clutch out'. I admit this doesn't explain why a bike that once changed smoothly doesn't any longer, but perhaps once you start to notice a crunch you get more gentle with the gear lever?

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you put slight tension/weight on the gear pedal and then clutch/gear that same way it will be smoother, but most obvious reason is oil and maybe chain.:D

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Change the engine oil and filter, she will love you in return with cleaner changes..... :thumbup:

The Transalp and Vara both get a notchy change when the oil is getting tired, it is the best indication you will get! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers Lads, Oil aint too old and the chain is fairly new, I could try it a bit looser but I'm sure it's set right. I put a DID on this time as I only got about 10k out of the chinese one.

41k on the bike now, I put 15k on it in my first 6 months!

Yes technique makes a difference but if it's working as it should I shouldn't have to pussy foot round it.

I think I'll have to have a look at the clutch

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW how do I change my signature? The blackbird and pegaso have gone, in has come a rather loverly SP1

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,027 Posts
Try only pulling the clutch lever halfway in when changing up and as said before move the pedal as low as you can so your foot doesn't have to lift too much.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Re: Crunchy! plus toys

Nice stable you have there :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts