Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to see the inlaw's in september and I'm just wondering if you guys know of any good bits of road to weave into a route from the lakes down to the cornish south coast.

Were gonna take 2 days to get down 'cos weve got a friend in Stroud we would like to sponge...um...stop over at.
The idea was to skirt through wales and pop out the bottom :D somewhere near Stroud.

I'm just a bit non-excited about the bit between, say kendal and chester and fear it might have to be motorway till we can get somewhere nice.

So any handy tips?

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Kendal to Chester??? there are alternatives but they are always slow and not direct. Try A6 to Lancaster, through Garstang (where I live) to Preston. Preston to warrington is where it gets hard - the A49 or A59/A570 are options but its frankly not worth the effort.

South of the M56 you have 2 main options - the A49 & A442 to Telford & Kidderminster then the A449 to Worcester (I did this by car a few weeks back to avoid a choked M6 and M5). South of Worcester (again jump on the Motorway for a Junction or 2) it is A38 to Bristol. M5 around Bristol then pick up the A38 again all the way Exeter. The A30 into Cornwall is dual carriageway nearly all the way but I don't know any alternatives/

The other way south of chester is the A458 / A5 /A49 via Wrexham and Shrewsbury until the A49 runs out near Gloucester. You will probably pick up signs for Stroud about then too.

Have a nice trip.

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of info, cheers bud! I'll check that with me map.

It all just sounds like a lot of effort for nowt. We're going on a sunday morning so the motorway might be OK, might be a case of stick the earplugs in and zone out to my happy place for a couple of hours.

:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts