Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice again please guys. I recently had some new tyres fitted and noticed when the guy removed the rear wheel and sprocket the rubber cush drives fell out. When he refitted the wheel he stuck them in any old way, which I'm sure is not right. I have read the two pieces should be joined on each pair, which they weren't, and the drive has been a bit jerky since then

I am planning to replace them with items from David Silver spares who is just up the road from me. Should the two halves of each pair straddle the webs in the rear hub ( if that makes sense, I know what I mean!!)

All advice gratefully received!!

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Advice again please guys. I recently had some new tyres fitted and noticed when the guy removed the rear wheel and sprocket the rubber cush drives fell out. When he refitted the wheel he stuck them in any old way, which I'm sure is not right. I have read theM two pieces should be joined on each pair, which they weren't, and the drive has been a bit jerky since then

I am planning to replace them with items from David Silver spares who is just up the road from me. Should the two halves of each pair straddle the webs in the rear hub ( if that makes sense, I know what I mean!!)

All advice gratefully received!!
I know exactly what you mean. Each pair should be joined bit I don't thnk it matters much if they aren't. As far as I can ever tell they do need to go a particular way round - but I don't think you will get the sprocket carrier back in if they are wrong. Take the wheel out and have a play before you buy a set that Way will know if you really need them. Good luck.

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts
as long as none of the blocks are missing, i cant see any probs refitting. had mine apart the other day ( think there are 8 or 10 segments joined by flimsy strips top and bottom ) all went back in simply. no issues to date. good luck !!

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
the trouble is if the pairs of blocks have seperated from wear then its sometimes possible to put the sprocket carrier and hub back together metal to metal even if all the blocks are back in, which is bad. there should obviously be a rubber block between each lobe.
if the blocks have come apart its no biggy, but it is important to put them in the hub symetrically. look at each block, you should be able to spot which were leading blocks and which trailing, ive never seen the vara ones but if they are not different sizes anyway then the leading ones will be a bit more squashed. you should be able to see where the little rubber joints were anyway. then its important to put them in the hub symetrically so the carrier will pop back in easily and each lobe touches the rubbers the same. a **** load of rubber grease will help to stick the blocks in the hub and help ease the sprocket carrier in.

by far the easiest way to do it and my advice to you is if your in any doubt about the rubbers then get a new set. the last lot i bought was for a triumph and they were £15. yours sound shot anyway, when i changed the tyre on my vara the sprocket carrier was really held on tight

1 - 4 of 4 Posts