Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd show you my screen.
I had an MRA Vario screen on my GS and it was very good.
I haven't had the Transalp long, but luckily it came with a MRA fitted and the original screen too.
I found the buffeting and noise with the MRA too much on the Trannie.
So, knowing that I still had the original screen, I decided to take the plunge and get my Dremel out.
First I tried the screen without the aero foil bit; an improvement, very similar in size to the original Honda when held next to it.
I then trimmed about two inches off the screen; better.
I then took another two inches off; better again.
Now it may be argued that it spoils the line of the bike, but I do travel a fair amount and comfort is more important.
I decided to try at least three decent rides out before posting this message to give a good feedback.
Bearing in mind I didn't pay for the MRA and still had the original screen, I didn't feel I was losing too much by trying this.
But, the net result, very pleased.
True, possibly a taller touring screen would have worked, but I prefer not to look through a screen.
Pretty quiet up to 70. Windrush increases at 75, but far leass than it was; at least the awful roar has gone:thumbup:

·
Elefant rider
210 Posts
:thumbright::thumb::thumbup:

good decision! Did it myself, just looks a little different!

·
Elefant rider
210 Posts
have to admit.... it wasnt me alone....am not that ausgezeichnet at that...

am a huge fan of: as long as it doesnt fall off it doesnt matter what it looks like....:rolleyes: so if anything on my bike looks good, chances are good that it was done by somebody else.... :D

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I applaud your innovation but must ask why cut down a £100 MRA and save the get for £10 from ebay standard screen??
If your not using the aero-deflector part that was fitted to the top of the MRA can I have it? I'll quite happily recycle it by fitting it to my standard screen.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm keeping the aero foil thingy, it might improve another bike.
I paid £100 plus for the MRA on my old GS, this one came with the bike, so didn't feel too much tightness in the chest:D:D

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I have done this but eventually went back to the stanard screen as the best compromise of protection (from rain) and noise.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow, it means a lot of aftermarket handguards will fit now! How did you folks cut the screen? What tools do I need? Can you write some DIY for screen cutting? :) Thanks.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Looks job well done but do have agree with BTBloke, a cut buckshee one would have made sense:cyclopsani:

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suppose technically, it was buckshee, as it came with the bike and had it not, I still would have bought the bike.

As regards how I did it, I measured at different points from the top to make sure the cut would be straight; using a felt tip pen to mark the place where I would cut, along with a metal rule, as this would bend round the screen as I marked out the line. As I only had a permanent marker, any mistakes were corrected with a bit of brake cleaner.

I then used my Dremel, with a cut off wheel, to cut along the line. Once through, I sanded any sharp bits with a bit of wet and dry.

Perfection of the screen end wasn't crucial, as I put the windscreen trim back on afterwards.

If you look closely, I actually created a bit of a flat and dropped it about two inches from either end. This was in an attempt to stop wind being forced directly onto each side of my helmet; no idea if that was a good idea:rolleyes:

If you haven't got a Dremel, get one, it's almost as good as duct tape and WD40:D

Dremel made short work of cutting through corroded brake pins I had on a Bandit once.

Probably shouldn't say this, but I actually haven't tried the bike with just the standard screen:eek:

But, as the MRA without the aero foil is virtually identical and I tried this, decided to go down my route.

Good luck to those who dare follow, I prefer it, you may not:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts